Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:37pm - Oct 15,09 
Berkley IronSilk--the hardcore steelhead guys swear buy it. It's mono that floats. So if you don't like braid, this might be the one. I've personally never tried it, but I found some and bought some!! They discontinued it but found a place that still has a dozen boxes or so in 4-8lb test. Originally 9.99 now on clearance for 4.99. If interested send me a PM.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:43pm - Oct 15,09 
hey buddy, I've used it and it's good. The green is easy to see when you're drifting a hole with other anglers and need to mend. But once you stretch it past a certain point, it's done.

I still like my line wax on regular mono, or braid.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:41am - Oct 16,09 
Iworktofish wrote:
But once you stretch it past a certain point, it's done.
How long do you think it'll take before its maxed out?

Iworktofish wrote:
I still like my line wax on regular mono, or braid.
You and Larry converted me to braid. But $4.99 for 330yds of floating line is a steal for steel/brown guys.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:54am - Oct 16,09 
Polycarp83 wrote:
How long do you think it'll take before its maxed out?
take a 3' section and keep stretching it, and you'll see what I'm talking about. It gets to a point where it stays stretched, and breaks easily. Though it is possible I just had a bad batch.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:49am - Oct 16,09 
That stuff is great for centerpining :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:43am - Oct 16,09 
I have used Iron Silk and it is the worst line I have ever used. IMO Suffix is much better. I have been fishing for a very long time and the iron silk kept getting knots in it. I myself bought it from a discount bin, maybe that is why it was there and discontinued.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:10pm - Oct 20,09 
I tried it out today and liked it. It didn't start sinking until after 5 hours--nothing that line dressing can't take care of anyways. Obviously, I can't determine longevity after 1 outing but it did its job for today...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:10pm - Oct 20,09 
I remember that stuff now!!! I used it for bottom fishing (don't ask me why) on the Red River in North Dakota back in the day. Never occurred to me to use it for float fishing. It was a strong line from what I remember. I think I'll get fine with MagnaThin and line dressing though.....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:59pm - Oct 28,09 
Take this FWIW, but I went through my "there is gotta be something better out there" phase as far as line goes, and when I was all said and done with P-line & P-line CXX, braids, fluorocarbons, and other so called super lines all costing big $$$ I finally went back to Trilene XL for the lake front and XT for gungle fishing.And I in all honesty can NOT say these other super lines enabled me to catch more fish than pane jane Tylene did. I was going through just to much line and $$$ to keep respooling with the high $$$ lines. So far this year I am way past a combined 3doz salmon and trout and had very, very few losses due to my line being cut by underwater structure or snags.

At $12 to $16 per 1000yrds Trilene is IMHO extremely hard to beat. The super lines cost more for less than 200yrds than Trilene does for 1000, or roughly 5x as much. Even the fact that some of the super lines like Fireline have a excellent shelf life and are nearly indistructable still are not best suited for use in creek fishing as at least once every other outing I get so badly snaged, I have to break off my line loosing my set up or luer, and doing so with high $$$ line makes the super lines cost prohibative.

I will add I got the deal of the century on Fire Line at a garage sale where a guy was selling 4 new never opened 300yrd spools for $25. I use it for fishing the lake front for smallies and also salmon if Im likely to encounter zerba mussels. But because Fireline has absolutely zero line stretch I do not use it for fishing the creeks as I do not wish to put my quite expensive salmon fishing rods at risk. I know a properly adjusted drag is my solution, but my favorite reel to use for salmon fishing is a older Japanese made 4000 Shimano Syemitree(sp?) that has a setting called "Fighting drag". This allows you to set your drag to almost none, then once you get a good solid hook set, you switch it off and your drag preset is now engaged. I use and prefer a much tighter drag while fishing the creeks as I often must stop a fish from getting into snags, a problem I rarely encounter at the lakefront.
I know some guys have enjoyed increased success after going to one of the super lines, but I found that anywhere you need a fishing line to be as tough and abrasion resistant as possible, FOR THE $$$ XT is about as good as it gets.

And in fishing conditions where you do not need a tough abrasion resistant line again XL is hard to beat. For the most part I use 8lb XT for bobber fishing for salmon and trout and 10lb XT for fishing with luers for S&T.

I do not know how scientific a study this is, but I once took both 8 and 10lb Trilene XT tied a hook to both and attached it to a small diameter bolt held in a huge vise, hooked it up to my digital fish weighing scale and 8lb XT broke 10 times at or above 12lbs, 10lb XT broke 10 times at or above 16lbs.

While fishing for salmon or trout with 10lb XT I do not recall ever having a fish simply break me off, I have had many, many straiten out my hooks and get off, or wrap them selves around underwater objects and I had to break off, but the few timers the fish actually broke my line, I know for a almost certianty it was because I incorrectly tied a Trylene knot to attach my luer. Solved this problem by going to Pololmer knots for all my salmon and trout fishing.

This line debate reminds me of when my well to do friend decided to go to G.Loomis rods for 100% of his fishing. He was not wrong in doing so, but I felt IMHO for such a huge expense in fishing rods he got back little in returns on his investment as he never experienced a equally large increase in the no#s of fish he caught.

Just my opinion FWIW.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:47pm - Oct 28,09 
:?

So do you have experience with Ironsilk?

Since were on the topic...

I started off with Trilene XL for float fishing and it did its job. But after switching to braid (and now to floating mono), I realized that I missed many fish with XL because of a slow line pick up. I've dressed my XL but that gets annoying after a while.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:07pm - Oct 28,09 
Polycarp83 wrote:
Berkley IronSilk--the hardcore steelhead guys swear buy it. It's mono that floats. So if you don't like braid, this might be the one.

I thought mono floated normally, did you mean to say braid that floats?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:55am - Oct 29,09 
All lines float, but mono sinks much faster than a braid. Ironsilk on the other hand, stays on the surface much longer than "regular" mono.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:17am - Oct 30,09 
Polycarp83 wrote:
All lines float, but mono sinks much faster than a braid. Ironsilk on the other hand, stays on the surface much longer than "regular" mono.

I always thought mono floated the most, that's why people use it for topwater... Just trying to get my facts straight. I found this from google, do you guys agree with it?

http://bassfishin.com/articles/fishing-line-guide/

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:35am - Oct 30,09 
fisherMAN wrote:
Polycarp83 wrote:

I always thought mono floated the most, that's why people use it for topwater... Just trying to get my facts straight. I found this from google, do you guys agree with it?

http://bassfishin.com/articles/fishing-line-guide/

It probably depends where one throws their topwater. If its open water, it will be easier to hookset too early causing the lure to get pulled out by braid; mono is more forgiving with stretch. If someone is around cover though, I'm sure they would use a heavy braid. Also, I could only imagine using a braid with topwaters (walking the dog or whatever)--I'm sure it'll cause a lot of hook-line fouling. It was bad enough throwing deep water cranks for the kings this year.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: