Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:27pm - May 14,06 
I just traded in my Alumacraft for a Lowe. All I can say is the difference is unbelievable!!!!

The Lowe hull is very cheap in my oppinion, and if this wasnt primarily a pleasure craft it would be gone allready!!!

As for the Alumacraft, you cant go wrong, That 2xbhull is second to none, a very solid ride in even the most brutal waves.

One thing I havent seen anyone touch on is the decking used inside the boat! Alumacraft uses a very high grade and thick decking, when you jump on the deck of an alumicraft it is solid as rock, same goes for the lids to the floor boxes.

I would and will get another alumacraft for fishability and longivity, I have been in Lunds, and while there was no noticible difference in performance, or quality, there was a big difference in price!

My last thought on the matter is the layout of the three you are looking at.

You need to really study where every nook and crany is on each boat, not to mention how easy it will be in the future to add those other components that make it "YOUR BOAT" ie..... Rod holders, trolling motors, second and third batteries for 24 or 36 volt trolling motors, downriggers, rod storage holders, Tackle box storage........ The list is endless!

I would normally say to a new guy to get out and fish out of other peoples boats to see what you like and dislike, but I know you have been in alot of different boats the last couple of years and should have a great knowledge by now!

Lastly, I suggest no matter what motor you get, extend the warranty for worry free years of enjoyment! It is relativly cheap compared to motor repairs, and the peace of mind alone is well worth it!

Goodluck on that New boat!!!! :boat

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:27am - May 15,06 
I have a 2005 Alumacraft Navigator 165 SC. It has a 2006 Merc 90 HP Optimax (Smartcraft capable) that is very quite, quick, and uses very little gas. I have a Lowrance 102C at the Bow attached to an 80# Minn Kota Auto-pilot with Universal Sonar (Very nice). At the wheel is a Lowrance 332C with a hotmaps premium chip. I have 6 scotty rod holders and a total of 4 seats (2 shown). It has a 3 bank onboard charger. The boat is tough as nails. I pull it behind my Nissan Maxima and it fits into a single space in my garage with the swing tounge and plugs right into the wall to keep everything charged. I am very happy with my Alumacraft.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:48am - May 15,06 
Thanks for all the info. I pretty much like all three. What it boils down to is what is the most cost effective. The Lund is the most expensive with the Alumacraft and Crestliner right behind.

Robert I think I have seen you're Alumacraft? Was that the nice ride when we were Perchin last summer with Andy and Rich? If it is nice ride man!

Jkessler, you pull that boat with a Maxima? Hows that affecting your auto? I plan to tow the boat with a Jeep.

Bob, I think my wife can handle a 75 tiller. Just gotta make sure she learns everything. God forbid yours truly should fall in the drink!

Well the baby and I visited a dealer on saturday. Get this, 2006 Lund Explorer Tiller w/ 50 hp Etec + Trailer= 16.5K...............Yow!!!!!!!!! Wife saw the paperwork the salesman wrote up and first thing she said. I thought you were looking to spend less than 10K. Well we're gonna have to relook at the budget and see what is possible. Hopefully by fall there will be some nice incentives or some nice used boats. We'll see.............

Thanks for the input guys :)

Val

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:52am - May 15,06 
Besides my mileage slipping to about 14 miles per gallon (above 60 mph), I have had no trouble at all towing this boat around in my Maxima. I have gone to Shelbyville several times as well pulling the boat with my Mazima (240HP)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:56am - May 15,06 
Valleye you are correct, that was my boat, I traded it in and a fellow angler from these sites that I had taken fishing snatched it up the next day!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:28pm - May 15,06 
the Alumacraft have been great boats for years.

I opted to go used myself, and if you're budget conscious that's a great option. It's amazing, how many people are selling boats. Just on the chitown message board I've seen some very sweet fishing boats up for sale for less than $8,000.

Many of the local papers have online classifieds too, so if you don't mind a little drive you can check the classifieds for Milwaukee, Madison, Bloomington, Joliet, Kankakee, Rockford, DeKalb etc you might find a real bargain.

I got flyers from Lowe and Alumacraft before I started shopping used. As often as I use mine, I'm glad I saved my money.

Regardless, go with what you like and what you know you'll be happy with in a few years. No used rushing into it, and then wishing you would have gotten something else later....

Shawn

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:27pm - May 15,06 
Valleye,

Henry's website has a 93 Lund 1700 Pro Angler w/ a 40hp 2 stroke Merc, motorguide trolling motor and shorelander trailer that looks pretty clean for $5800. Take a look.

LE

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:38pm - May 15,06 
I don't think it's a coincidence that the majority of resort owners rent Lunds. They do seem to hold up well for a very long time een with rookie renters at the tiller. The downside is they're not the least expensive boat you can find. If I can afford it, a Lund will be my next boat.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:16pm - May 15,06 
Val,

Like you I have been in Andys Lund and it is a very nice boat. Very durable and it is a fishing Machine. I have been in that boat on a few UGLY days also. You fished it for perch and I have fished it for Salmon and when he gets back from Minn with it we will be doing the perch thing at chicago light. I checked out the used 93 that is at Henrys and it is nice. You maybe able to get a few more bucks off of the price also. You are not going out to 200 fow with it, then again you do not have to in order to fill the freezer with Salmon or perch.

And there are plenty of folks here who could help with a Radio and other things it may need.

Reech

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:39pm - May 15,06 
That is one beeg alumacraft!

Nice reeg.

Check out the teeller models from G3. Heard some good theengs about it. Combo'd up with a yamaha 2 or 4 stroke and you got a solid reeg.

Seasonilty is what did you in. If you can hold off till the fall, the deals will come around. May is not the time to buy a boat.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:08pm - May 15,06 
You're right Mark, I am gonna put off the purchase till the end of the season, sometime in Sept or Oct. I'm sure there will be a good surplus of new and used boats.

Val :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:46pm - May 21,06 
i have a 04 alumacraft magnum 175 tiller with 75 4 stroke yamaha I have more fishing room then any 20 foot counsel boat out there If you do long runs like on the big lake I lock the stering control and go I Live in my boat there have been a few minor probloms but with the 2XB I think it is the strongest aluminum boat made hands down ( It is the heaviest) I have broke ice over 4 inches thick with this badboy Do not buy a welded aluminum boat it is abou 1/3 as strong as a rivet if you look I mean really look at most welded boats you can find crackes in the transom supports the transom moves a lot when you jump 4 footers rivets flex welds brake ps if you havent got a boat you are more then welcome to take a look at mine at piece lake

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:02am - May 24,06 
Really cant go wrong with any of those 3 boats... if bought new the Lund should have better resale down the road... with gas prices how they are any time is the right time to buy used as many will be looking to sell soon... however you will most likely end up with a 2 stroke non etec motor used as 4strokes and etecs are not very common used at the moment... If you get a 4stroke motor, Johnson and suzuki 4 strokes tend to weigh more then equivalent 4 strokes by other brands and 2 strokes weigh the least except the etec, which for the etec in smaller motors is about the same as a 4stroke...

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:23pm - May 25,06 
lots of good info here, hopefully i can add to it....Komo was right when he mentioned the trolling motor...get the bigest you can....current and wind can be tricky....personally i have a Crestliner w/ Yamaha 115 4-stroke....go max power there as well...i went with the 4 stroke for gas economy...it's also SOOOOO quiet and trolls nice and slow.....the boats you mention are all winners....need to pick out which options you like/want...they all vary in that respect....i like the Crestliner's roominess, meaning the ability to manuver yourself in the boat while fishing. and the storeage lockers/setup.....good luck

Chitown-Angler

Location: Batavia & Coal City, IL; 17' '85 Ranger 335-V Bass Boat w/ 115hp Evinrude. Let's go fishin'

Post Posted: 07:19pm - May 25,06 
Val,

I don't know much about it, but I'm told that some of the motors out there need to run on high octane gas. It might not be a big deal, but you may want to ask the question. All things being equal (and they never are, right?) you might want to get one that can handle 87 octane fuel.

My 2 cents.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: