Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:23am - Jan 10,06 
This past spring/summer i saw a few odd snakes in the dupa not garders or northern water snakes they were solid black wint a few grey markings one i picked up onto dry land with a long pole and sure enough it had a bull head in its mouth are these snakes somthing i should worry about? the local river/wildlife police said there has never been a posionis snake found in the dupa but id like to hear from you guys that are actualy out there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:05am - Jan 10,06 
DNR has a some good info on the snake species found in IL.

Here is the link
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/education/snakes/snakegallery.htm

Hope you can find your snake.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:38am - Jan 10,06 
that is good news. Snakes are very untolerant of pollution, so seeing varieties not seen before means the enviroment is improving. It may be a racer or rat snake. There are one or two poisonous kinds of snakes in IL, but dont sweat it. dont mess with them and they wont attack. it's cool seeing something like that, isn't it?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:26am - Jan 10,06 
Mahasheer, turned out to be a Graham's crayfish snake thanks for that link VERY helpful.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:57pm - Jan 10,06 
I fished the dupage alot last summer in my hotspots and had a snake chase my fish in and it was snapping at it. Becarefull in those rocks on the banks they live and hide and there and will snap at you.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:36pm - Jan 10,06 
When the hot days arrive so do the bull snakes on the dup. They get big and are mean but very interesting to watch. We had them falling from trees popping out of grass and rocks a few days last year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:58pm - Jan 10,06 
anything i have to worry about going to hospital for or just a nasty bite?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:53pm - Jan 11,06 
only nasty bites and only if you don't walk away from them

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:04am - Jan 12,06 
channadad wrote:
only nasty bites and only if you don't walk away from them

last summer one of those "northern water snakes" latched onto a friends wrist as he was pulling a fish out of the dupa downtown naperville i could hear him scream from about 2 blocks down took him to the hospital cause it wouldent stop bleeding preety eventful for a sundy afternoon

moral of the story is stay away from that damn bridge! :}

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:28pm - Jan 18,06 
Northern Water Snakes have an anti-coagulant in their venom. They're not poisonous but you will bleed a lot from even a small bite.

I've come across dozens of them and they don't seem to be aggressive although they can get big enough to scare most people. During early spring and late fall I've had a couple of them wind up in the back of my boat at the cooling lakes. My thought is that the heat from the outboard attracted them and they were just looking for a warmer place to hang out. They always left on their own once I started moving around.

I saw a guy at LaSalle one time run almost the entire way from the hot side to his car without his gear screaming bloody murder because he saw one of those things. Since we were in a boat, we were nice enough to retrieve his gear for him.

http://www.wdaweb.com/snake4.htm

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:36pm - Jan 31,06 
I just cant help myself when I see a snake,the Steve Irwin just comes out .I have to muck with it!!!! I have 3 snakes of my own. 6'red tail boa,3'pastel boa and a 3 1/2' ball python. I used to have a few that were quite large but anyway,I fish the mazon river alot and run across quite a few. one thing to watch for is the eyes,If they have cat lookin eyes they have venom.to me its as fun as fishin its a rush!!! Then again Iam not completly right in the head!!(ha ha) :wth

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:08pm - Feb 1,06 
hey phil.... I stumbled onto the mazon for the first time this year. At oxbow and whitetie. that day I caught countless smallies and rock bass. None of any size but the action was non stop and the scenery was amazing.
The Mazon is by far one of the most beautiful rivers I have come acroos.
If you are ever in need of a partner on the mazon please feel free to let me know.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:12am - Mar 19,06 
I've lived, fished, hunted and walked the banks of the Du Page for over thirty years and have seen many snakes such as Fox, water, bull, blue racer, corn, garter, rat,etc... I've never run across a venemous/poisonous snake yet. Although it is possible because these creatures arrive here by hitching a ride on barges, trains etc.. The climate does not suit them. When the days warm these critters emerge and soon go looking for a female. They are somewhat agressive during this time, especially the bulls. But they are harmless. Keep eyes open, and give them their space. Last year I walked up on a log jam and there must have been fifty water snakes there. Creepy! I hate snakes, but they are harmless and the previous poster is right about their intolerance to pollution. It is good to have a diversity of these reptiles.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:29am - Mar 21,06 
I saw a lot of northern water snakes by me this past summer, and i wanted to catch one and watch it for a day or two. And let me tell you they do not like being picked up at all. They can get angry quick and they aren't afraid of you. But as far as poison snakes you are very much in the clear this far north. If it doesn't have a rattle it isn't deadly.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:39am - Mar 21,06 
Fishslayer and I have run into those northern watersnakes quite a few times. Its interesting to see how they dive out of low tree limbs and off of rocks and such to get into the water when you come near. I also have the same issue catfishphil has, just cant help myself! Those guys get real cranky when you pick em up, and at times they even come at you after you set em down :lol: . As for venemous snakes, we havent had any problems and my only encounter was with a rather large copperhead when I was about 9 or 10. I didnt know what it was until about 2 years ago when I found the pic. Thank the Lord I didnt get bit. As a matter of fact the snake didnt even try, even though I picked him up and all which just goes to show that they arent out to get people. I have a picture of me holding that snake somewhere, Ill see if I find it.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: