Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:21pm - Nov 13,05 
Hit the Dupe for the first time on Saturday with a friend. Fished from about 1pm to 3pm. Just barely avoided the skunk . The water looked good but couldn't scratch up much. Maybe we were fishing behind Terry D. :wink: Tried a white twister and a Case pumpkin helgie on a 1/16 ounce jig. My friend tried a couple of different colored tubes. Managed 1 smallie, about 10 inches, on a fathead.

Area we were fishing looked pretty heavily used, lots of garbage evidence of fires. :x It's no wonder getting access to good water can be tough. Picked up a bag of garbage, hopefully all the people that drove past will realize not all angler are slobs.

I was picking weeds off my hook every cast. I'm used to letting jigs and platics bounce along the bottom, but that certainly doesn't seem to be the way to fish the Dupe. I've read alot of posts about people using plastics how are you guys rigging them? Or do you just hope a fish picks up your bait before its tangled in the weeds.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:07pm - Nov 13,05 
Quote:
It's no wonder getting access to good water can be tough. Picked up a bag of garbage

Let me be the first to say THANK YOU! Your actions speak volumes for the rest of us.
I was a bit intimidated by the amount of weeds on the dupe the first time I fished it. I didn't fish plastics though. I just used a fat head or a smaller roach on a thin wire hook and very little or no weight. I'd flip into the weed pockets or let the bait swim naturally in the deeper pools. Give it a try again in the warmer months when the fish are a bit more active to hone your skills. Then you'll more often come up with fish than weeds.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:06am - Nov 14,05 
The weeds are bad now because everything is dying or dead and just floating along. It's bad after rain also. Summer is better from a weed/floaty perspective. Hit the pockets and edges.

"long days and pleasant nights"

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:07pm - Nov 14,05 
I would have to agree with Kev-mo. The weeds have all died down with a lot of muck at the bottoms. Usually during the summer there are quite a few pockets that can be hit heavily with a lot of fish holding tight to these areas.

The way I usually fish the plastic is using a 1/0 Gamakatzu Circle hook with a 1/16 or 1/32 ounce worm sinker. The weight depends on the current. The faster the flow the heavier I go on weight. At this time of year I was using a 1/32nd oz. sinker.

As for the plastic, hook it so it becomes weedless. Usually setting it up in the way you would set-up a carolina rig.

This will prevent you from getting hooked up on the weeds and hooking into more fish. Good luck with this method, and looking forward to future posts from you as to how you did.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:44pm - Nov 14,05 
I texas rig my plastics, weedless. Except I don't use a slide weight, just a small split shot right above the hook. Cast into pockets or into current & let it drift. Once it hits the bottom I let it sit for 20 seconds, slowly pull your rod up & let it drift again. After that I reel in & repeat. I never even fish on the retrieve.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:39pm - Nov 14,05 
Another idea I recommend is to try Slider heads.

Didn't catch too many smallies this year on them anywhere, but it's always a good shot to try them out, same goes with Mister Twister keeper hooks. Both are very very weedless.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:41pm - Nov 15,05 
Terry did you mean a extra wide gap hook? Having difficulty visualizing a weedless rig with a circle hook.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:54am - Nov 16,05 
Yes, the extra wide hooks is what I use. It gives you a better chance to set the hook on the fish when it hits. One other thing I also do is clamp down the barb near the head to make it a safer release on the fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:50pm - Dec 21,05 
DANCES WITH FISH wrote:
Quote:
It's no wonder getting access to good water can be tough. Picked up a bag of garbage

Let me be the first to say THANK YOU! Your actions speak volumes for the rest of us.
weeds.

Let me be the 2nd to say thanks!

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: