Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:31am - Jul 2,17 
Climbed up into the east and west branches for a few hours this weekend and I really needed it. Work has been consuming my soul. Floating weed clumps are pretty outrageous on the east branch but the fish are biting. I got fish at every stop on both branches but the fish were bigger on the east side. All bites came in or adjacent to outside bends and the biggest fish came from wood piles. I was tossing a 4" Gulp saltwater swimming mullet in chartreuse on a 1/8th oz saltwater jig exclusively, partly because treble hooks were unusable and partly because it was as much about just having a relaxing wade and unwinding as it was about catching a fish.

Ended up with nineteen smallmouth, three rock bass, and a largemouth in seven different locations while spot hopping. From what I've read the oil spill was contained before it reached the river. Hopefully that's the case.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:07pm - Jul 2,17 
Nice fish, as always, jmdog.
I hit the west branch, yesterday evening, with my 3wt fly rod. No largemeouth but I did land probably a dozen smallmouth and a few bluegills. I would say that 4 of the smallies were in the class you show in the pics and I got one really nice slab bluegill. I was using an autumn bugger (actually 3 because one is in a submerged rock somewhere and one is in a buckthorn tree) and a Boogle Bug popper. It was dusk (@7:30pm) that the bites started coming. The bugger out produced the popper although I fished both equally.
Fly fishing wise, I was leery of the Orvis 5X tippett material. Tying on the 2nd bugger, the tippett snapped at the bugger's eye as I tightened the knot. I fretted about the tippett as I landed the succeeding fish. I think I am going to shelve the 3wt (it is a lot of fun) and dust off my Heddon fiberglass 5wt and go to a bigger fly.
My only disappointment is that my Orvis Encounter waders sprung leaks at the seems on both legs. So, Orvis has them now but I think my old Hodgsons may fit now that I lost a few pounds.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:48am - Jul 3,17 
Nice chuck, that must be a blast on a fly rod. I've sprung a bit of a leak myself but I'm not gonna replace them until cold water season unless I see a sale.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:49am - Jul 3,17 
jmdog wrote:
Nice chuck, that must be a blast on a fly rod. I've sprung a bit of a leak myself but I'm not gonna replace them until cold water season unless I see a sale.

Gander Mountain is worth a look... 40% off I believe. Sierra Trading Post in Naperville had some Redington warders as well... You can check STP's website for local inventory & pricing...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:41am - Jul 3,17 
One thing about Orvis; their sales people at the Yorktown store are open minded and Orvis does stand behind its equipment. If necessary, I will need to pay $40 but it seems (because they are the seams) that the repair will be gratis. It does put a hamper on me getting out on the water. I was squishy at the end of the day with wet socks and legs.
Jmdog, we need to get a fly rod in your hands. Other than the swearing that goes along with putting your fly into a tree or getting wind knots, having a smallie fighting is a real blast.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:04am - Jul 3,17 
Nice report as always. I'm actually on my way to Naperville right now and was thinking about hitting up the knock knolls area. I have my 8wt and a spinning rod. What's the thought behind using salt water jigs and plastics?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:02pm - Jul 3,17 
from the first photo that hook looks like it has a longer shank and is a sturdier hook . have you tried any of the saltwater hooks with the triple keeper on the shank ? they do a nice job of holding your plastics in place .

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:21pm - Jul 3,17 
Yeah the saltwater hooks are sturdy and the size of the grubs are perfect in my opinion. And I do have some keepers too. They do help a lot with Gulp products that tend to slide down the shank. All good advice on waders and yeah LL Bean's warranty is second to none. Maybe someday on the fly rod chuck. Gotta be tough in the summer with shoreline weeds and leafy trees no?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:57am - Jul 13,17 
Good to 'see' you back jmdog! nice report. Thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:57pm - Jul 17,17 
jmdog I've been using those saltwater jigs for years too when I fish gulp minnows for whites in the spring.There is so much more exposed for better hook sets.Wish I could get around and explore like you do.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: