Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:34am - Jan 21,17 
Normally this time of year I spend my free hours in the gym trying to get ready for fishing season or stocking up/cleaning gear. This January has not been typical at all with the warmth and I've been ditching the gym for the river. This probably should have been broken up into multiple reports but I'm too lazy so I'm cramming it all into one. No particular order, it's four outings worth of pics. Sometimes from shore, sometimes wading. I've been using a 1/4 oz BPS saltwater jig with either a 4" Mister Twister or a 4" BPS paddletail all month. Switched to a medium rod with 30 lb braid for hoisting fish which is a luxury over having lighter gear and having to go down and get them in the cold water. The fish have not been shy.

Usually it's a bite and hold. But on one outing they were thumping it.

It's a good time to explore. No bugs, the weeds are flattened and sparse, and the river is all yours.

Evening bite has died as soon as the sun is fully set. Morning bite has died once the sun is fully up. Spotted a bald eagle on the main stem.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:17am - Jan 22,17 
Much slower bite this morning. Stuck with a 4" grub too long and it cost me. Two fish in the first hour and a half, three fish in the last half hour after downsizing to a 3" grub. Very light pickups. Sometimes line watching is how I figured out a fish had my lure. One of the smallies I landed was mauled. Had a busted lower jaw and a monofilament leader sticking out of its gullet :cuss

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:40am - Jan 22,17 
Some amazing fishing right there!...In January on the river! Nice job taking advantage of the mild January weather and putting some beauty Smallies on display.

That busted jaw fish seems like a testament that a gut hooked fish can survive to be caught another day. That's also one reason I prefer fishing artificials over live bait...

Thanks for another great write up with awesome pics!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:45am - Jan 22,17 
:usm Nice report man! The way u get out and hunt fish.... U definitely ain't lazy broski... Later mike

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:03pm - Jan 22,17 
All that river exercise you don't need the gym. Good job,

Did you try the 2" paddle tail at all? I know the "go big or go home" mentality, but with the cold water thought a smaller bait would do better.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:11pm - Jan 22,17 
The smallest I went was the 3" Mister Twister. It was depending on how much light I had. In low light I was going a bit bigger, but downsizing if it was brighter out. My hookup % was really good with the 3" grub so I didn't feel the need to go even smaller.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:43pm - Jan 22,17 
Good job jmdog. Most would have gone with a slow methodical presentation. Reaction strikes can be had even in the coldest of water temps. :drink

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:00pm - Jan 22,17 
Have you ever considered kirbing the hook and opening up the gap a little . both can help in sticking light hitting fish .

also rigging that paddle tail upside down or sideways and/or cutting a little gap down in the skinny end down by the tail can give the fish a slightly to much different vibration pattern . sometimes making those changes before leaving a productive spot can get you an extra fish or three .

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:12pm - Jan 24,17 
Yeah I do play with the rigging a bit. I actually quite prefer a grub with the tail pointed up. The only real alteration I make to the hook is crimping the barb.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:23pm - Jan 24,17 
I fish the grubs tail up and down, sometimes it makes a difference, usually it doesn't . Tail down is supposed to reduce line twist .

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: