Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:15am - Jan 5,11 
I am adding 10 and 8 color lead with power pro backing for the summer and want to select the best boards for that application. I have seen lots of recommendations for Church products. Any thoughts as to which board is best suited for my application? The Church TX-44 super planer board looks like it is designed for lead and copper--is that the one I should go with?

Thanks

Dave

Channel 7

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:25am - Jan 5,11 
We run a 8 color almost year round once we hit 60fow and love our church walleye boards

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:49am - Jan 5,11 
Dave,

The TX-44 is fairly new (I have never even seen one), so I really can't give you an opinion on how they would work. I do know that the Mr. Walleye board, which used to be the largest in the Church Tackle line-up, is what I've been using for everything for 13 years. I've pulled 300' of copper and up to 12 colors of leadcore with them. And in some pretty bumpy water, too. Without having used the TX-44, I don't want to comment on it. Good Luck!

Jerry
Runnin' Bare

My Blog - The Runnin’ Bare Chronicles

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:57pm - Jan 5,11 
Definitely the Church boards-- but as Jerry mentioned-- I haven't tried the new ones. There are several ways to rig them for your application, but I run as many as 5 per side with varying lengths of copper and/or LC with minimal problems. I will be giving a seminar on LC and copper at Cabelas on March 6-- watch for a post once I get the time firmed up.

Waukegan Harbor

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:38pm - Jan 5,11 
The TX-44 is a really big board and while good for heavy line, extra choppy conditions or ball weight applications you'll be fine with the standard Church Walleye board.

The walleye board works really well and I, along with many others, have used it on standard 8 and 10 color leadcores with no problems.

I'm usually the guy who goes overboard when it comes to tools and gadgets but i just don't see the neccesity of purchasing the TX-44 boards for your applications at this time.

Good luck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:32am - Jan 6,11 
As usual, thanks for the tips guys--will go with the regular Walleye boards. Mike--I will look for the info on your seminar and try my best to make it.

Dave

Channel 7

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:43pm - Jan 6,11 
Hey Mike....is that Cabelas in Hoffman Estates? If so I'll try to make that as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:22pm - Jan 6,11 
Anybody have any opinions on Yellowbird boards. I have some (got for free) & till now I run them with Keel weights and have no problems. Would like to run them with lead core. Will they be ok running 2,4,6 even 10 colors? Is it time for me to upgrade?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:19pm - Jan 6,11 
I have not used YellowBirds but I don't see why they wouldn't work with the smaller segments of leadcore. I say before you get all new boards give them a shot during the spring to see how they pull. Go from there.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:46pm - Jan 6,11 
Yellow Birds are at there best running the spring coho rigs, wouldn't think of a spring spread w/out them. With a few colors they work well too. IMHO bigger isn't better with boards, more for you, the fish and the line to fight. Anything more than 4 colors and I'd be using something like the church board.

It's all about the fun! If you can't laugh at yourself, we'll do it for you.
Big Rods Fishing Team & Tacklebusters

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 08:37pm - Jan 6,11 
rodm wrote:
Yellow Birds are at there best running the spring coho rigs, wouldn't think of a spring spread w/out them. With a few colors they work well too. IMHO bigger isn't better with boards, more for you, the fish and the line to fight. Anything more than 4 colors and I'd be using something like the church board.

Rodm is right on. The great thing about yellow birds is you can bend the wire so they pull more or less. this allows you to get them almost in a strait line behind the boat in the spring when fishing with little weight. I would say anything over 3 colors is just to much. The BIG birds on the other hand will easily out pull a church board anyday but they are a pain to deal with.

HTR

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:48am - Jan 7,11 
Last fall I found a yellow bird. I tried to run it, but got confused (that happens a lot more frequently these days), on how to rig it. Walleye boards are simple and even with Power Pro, I have never had one slip or release, even without wrapping the line around or doing anything but pushing the line all the way into the back of the clip. Maybe I'll figure out how to run it this year... or give it away if it confuses me again.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:23pm - Jan 7,11 
pmjasper wrote:
Hey Mike....is that Cabelas in Hoffman Estates? If so I'll try to make that as well.

Yes--Hoffman Estates Cabelas--
see you there!

Waukegan Harbor

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:20pm - Jan 23,11 
i use regular yellow birds for mono and any leadcore up to 5 colors without a problem. I switched from church boards to yellow bird big boards for long leadcore and copper. i like the ability to adjust the spread of the yellow birds depending on trolling speed and what i'm pulling behind it.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:56pm - Jan 23,11 
I got some interesting info from a YellowBird rep, They have been around for a season or two but not marketed well during the sale of the company. In both the regular and Big bird size they make a glow version. Also now have a flag set-up and glow flags. not on the website yet. he sent me a set to show around at the next SU meeting. I left them on a workbench by a window and was surprised how well they glow in the dark. I'm waiting for a set of the flags. They will be at the Americas' Outdoors show, stop by and check it out. Please let them know you heard about from the SU IL guys.

It's all about the fun! If you can't laugh at yourself, we'll do it for you.
Big Rods Fishing Team & Tacklebusters

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: