Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:42am - Dec 16,10 
Got any center pin guys on this site

thinking of caring KING PIN reels and center pis rigging in the store
I have had more than a couple of the hard core creek and stream guys asking for this stuff I don't want to have the middle of the road equipment would rather focus on the best stuff with out going custom
so a guy only has to buy a reel one time
What do you guys that know your stuff think of KING PIN reels?
i will probably stock a couple Gold serries and a couple Imperials
The Imperials are supposed to be specifically designed for the mid west fisheries

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:59am - Dec 16,10 
They look like nice reels to me, but I'm no a pinner. I've played with a few of them on the creeks and can't justify the price of a beater reel that only does one thing, let alone a Caddilac like that. I'd suggest you poke around on steelheadsite.com and michigan-sportsman.com, they both have entire pages dedicated to centerpin fishing . This page doesn't seem to get much attention from the creek fishermen. If they are as nice as they sound and you provide the same service that you do with the rest of your equipment, :allah , I'm sure you'll move a few of them. But, then you're going to have to start stocking the rods and backing and mainlines and leaders and hooks and special split shot and hand turned custom made "floats" and proprietary spawn cures that those guys crave...

Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:04pm - Dec 16,10 
I own 2 J. W. youngs and love them. I have heard good things about King Pins from others that pin. It's a tough call, most people won't drop that much dough on something they have not tried before. I know alot of guys that went for the okumas due to price. Before buying mine, there was not a inexpensive pin and i bought my first on ebay from russia to see if i would enjoy it. Most of the hardcore guys i know already are rigged. If you do carry them you need to also point out the other apps for them. You can fish for more than steelhead with them. I have used my pins for carp, kings, bass and so on. Besides drift fishing you can fish for carp or cats on the bottom with them.

Keep in mind that the rigging set ups can be used with spinning reels too.

Ignorance and Apathy, I don't know and I don't Care. W.C. Fields

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:21pm - Dec 16,10 
Kevin
King pin has just come out with a new "IMPERIAL"
REEL ITS SUPPOSED TO BE BUILT AND DESIGNED BY MID WEST pin DRIFTERS
lots of years ago i spent a lot of time drifting skein on the st joe
might have to try it again just can not take the long hikes up and down slippery banks any more
I have sold quite a few Shamano rods to guys and i keep getting asked about the center pin reels. Have sold a few of the Acuma reels
this new stuff looks like it will do such a good job a will have to give it another try
The new imperials are about a 100 bucks less than their gold series reels and are better suited for our kind of fishing
There is not a lot of tackle to make it all work
looks like we are going ahead with this when i get my stuff all in and set up i will post some pictures
I want to have one or two top shelf set ups available for sale this is no custom made one a time set up like the JW Youngs
I know this is not going to be like the salmon guys that buy 2-10 complete set ups at a time just like to offer quality stuff at a good price
This looks to be it

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:35am - Dec 17,10 
Looks good Frank, I did try to go to their website but it is under construction. looks like a solid reel to me, plus I like the fact it is enclosed and not ported due to all the sand and grit we see around here. teh big thing next to solid construction is the bearings and break in. Let e know when you get them in would't mind checking them out. what float/pin rods will you be carrying. I have made my own but last I was checking Raven made a great rod for pinning and St. Croix's 13 footer worked great too. Funny you have thrown this up, with the little guy runnign around I haven't been able to get out like I used to every weekend ut have ben itching to drag out the waders and long rods lately. Still laugh when I got my butt handed to me by a 30 LB + King on the Pulaski river in NY during their King run a few years back, what a great fight until the knot blew to my leader.

for all those interested Center pinning is a blast and a deadly tactic for stealhead fishing as well as other creek dwellers!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:32pm - Dec 18,10 
You can't go wrong with a Kingpin. I have two of them and believe they are the best pin money can buy. At least compared to the ones that I have had a chance to give a spin.( which is the majority of the pins available) The two I own are the CLASSIC 450 models which is actually called a Arnold Kingpin. These are the "original" ones they first came out with. I bought my first one back in 2001. When they re-made the Arnold Kingpin with all the new models they went away with the "Arnold" and just named them Kingpins. Several different models of Kingpins to choose from. Lots of money for a reel but they are bullet proof. I highly suggest anyone wanting to seriously get into this style of float fishing to not monkey around with the low end models and go for a Kingpin!!

><(((">

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:33pm - Dec 18,10 
Bear wrote:
Looks good Frank, I did try to go to their website but it is under construction. looks like a solid reel to me, plus I like the fact it is enclosed and not ported due to all the sand and grit we see around here. teh big thing next to solid construction is the bearings and break in. Let e know when you get them in would't mind checking them out. what float/pin rods will you be carrying. I have made my own but last I was checking Raven made a great rod for pinning and St. Croix's 13 footer worked great too. Funny you have thrown this up, with the little guy runnign around I haven't been able to get out like I used to every weekend ut have ben itching to drag out the waders and long rods lately. Still laugh when I got my butt handed to me by a 30 LB + King on the Pulaski river in NY during their King run a few years back, what a great fight until the knot blew to my leader.

for all those interested Center pinning is a blast and a deadly tactic for stealhead fishing as well as other creek dwellers!

Oh yea by the way, what's up Kevin? How ya been man?

><(((">

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:07am - Dec 19,10 
I've been good, what have you been up to? Hows the creeks looking, getting out?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:54pm - Dec 21,10 
Bear wrote:
I've been good, what have you been up to? Hows the creeks looking, getting out?

Oh not up to much. The normal. Working, fishing, family time. The wife and I had our first back in August. He is now 16 months. keeps me on my toes. LOL. Creeks look good. I get out pretty muck every weekend. That's if it's not deer season...

><(((">

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: