Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:11pm - Nov 18,10 
It is that time of year again when I book a couple charters and take some folks out on the river. The river is VERY low and clear which usually makes for good steelhead conditions. However, we had a hard time getting good action sliding flatfish in a few of our usual runs as the current is just not there to give the lures enough action to aggravate the steelhead. Didn't see many others fishing - I think the low water can be challenging if you don't know the river very well - that could be keeping some away. Captain Ken Neidlinger has been guiding the Joe for 40 years so he knows where he is going (LOL - he said he's hit everything in the river so he knows first hand where everything is).

We ended up landing 8 out of 13 steelhead. Had one steelie jump and clear the surface eight times. They are an amazing fish! My guests limited out with three steelhead each and I came close with two. My two steelies were far and away the smallest and I was teased pretty heartily about that. I was told mine were so small that they still had milk on their lips. I enjoyed the razzing. I catch my share of nice steelhead so I really wanted them to do well. Any fish for me is a bonus.

Anywho, here are a few pics from the day...

Glen with a nice buck

Jeff (Glen's son) with a steelhead

Group photo

Captain Ken's Carolina Skiff. That flat skiff bottom comes in handy in low water.
When the temps get colder, you stay toasty warm with the heater. A nice way to steelhead fish.
Fishing has been very good and should only get better. I believe he still has some openings if anyone is interested.

I have another charter with Captain Ken next week and again on Christmas break with the kids.
I'll probably start wading my favorite steelhead river in December.

Hope you like the pics.

Russ

Last edited by Razzo on 06:00pm - Nov 18,10, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:44pm - Nov 18,10 
Great pics Razzo glad to see other anglers getting in on the action. Nice to see there are fish below where I fish, looks like the run is still going strong. I been taking notes of where all the logs are and looking for some of my lures that I have left over the years on them too. Hope to get back out there over the weekend. Good luck but with Silverking you probably won't need it. :lol:
cdx

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:49pm - Nov 18,10 
cdxdog wrote:
Great pics Razzo glad to see other anglers getting in on the action. Nice to see there are fish below where I fish, looks like the run is still going strong. I been taking notes of where all the logs are and looking for some of my lures that I have left over the years on them too. Hope to get back out there over the weekend. Good luck but with Silverking you probably won't need it. :lol:
cdx

Thanks cdx :)

Captain Ken launches at the mouth of Pipestone Creek and we usually fish upriver of there; however, we went down river on Tuesday down to the 94 bridge. Probably a few miles from the lake. Good luck this weekend! There are a lot of fish in the river and should be more coming in all the time. The season has just begun :wink:

Russ

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:58pm - Nov 18,10 
LOL, as I hit the submit button on that last reply, Captain Ken gave me a call to confirm where & what time we will meet him next week. We shared a laugh at the really great action we were blessed with. As far as reporting goes, he said his charter the day after mine went 8/9 on steelhead. I told him that the five fish we lost were a bonus when you get your limit (or,... almost get your limit).

I took a pretty good drubbing from the guys about my milk sucking small steelhead. I told them if they keep it up that they would pay for the harassment as I would have to find a government sponsored program designed to improve my self esteem :rotflmao

You guys will have to forgive me, I feel the need to dig up some past pics of some real steelhead that I caught :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:07pm - Nov 18,10 
In defense of my pride, here is my two largest steelies...
I will be e-mailing this thread to my guests who taunted me :bday:

Caught this one with Captain Ken (not a charter, we were just fishing):
A February St. Joe River Buck Steelhead (No clue on the weight, 15 or 16 pounds???).

Caught this one without the help of a 40 year guide/friend.
No clue on the weight of this pig.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:51pm - Nov 18,10 
hogs for sure! hows come your not breathing hard and shaking

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:52pm - Nov 18,10 
Nice report and with the weather again looking up I may get back out Sunday or Monday or if the stars line up part of both days.

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: