Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:48pm - Nov 11,10 
All in subject line.. it is a ghost town by me when I look for em.

What are you using?

What time?

Water temps?

Been out but.. just can't lock into them.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:52pm - Nov 11,10 
Caught 3 last Sunday, 1/32 oz jig and minnow and 4 inch gulp on 1/8 oz jig, water temps=??, whatever they were over the weekend. They were in a deeper pool with current on both sides but calm in the deep water.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:27pm - Nov 11,10 
The water temps been 48 degrees or so in the afternoons at least for the past week. That clear water has not been holding the heat very well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:58am - Nov 12,10 
Last year i did so well with the walleyes in the Batavia area and this year i haven't seen one out of the water.....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:10am - Nov 12,10 
I am in the same boat with that area.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:43pm - Nov 12,10 
Was out today, water was really dirty compared to last weekend. Also up a couple inches. No walleye tho

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:31pm - Nov 12,10 
48 degrees is perfect. Haven't been out on the Fox in years, but back in the day I'd 1/4 cast husky jerks, rogues and #9 floating Rapalas into slack water pockets and pools below riffles. Very slow retrieve might have been the most important part of that presentation.
Don't know if that helps but hope you find them soon.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:14am - Nov 13,10 
Going out today to find them DAM eye's at batavia.... keep you guys posted

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:58pm - Nov 19,10 
Esox Tracker wrote:
48 degrees is perfect. Haven't been out on the Fox in years, but back in the day I'd 1/4 cast husky jerks, rogues and #9 floating Rapalas into slack water pockets and pools below riffles. Very slow retrieve might have been the most important part of that presentation.
Don't know if that helps but hope you find them soon.

Ditto. I haven't been fishing eyes on the Fox for years too. Back in the day,... I'd wade Yorkville in the evening and did OK. I'd start an hour before sunset and fish after sunset. It seems like that sunset time was the best. Our best lure of choice was a 1/16 oz orange jig head with a single tail grub (motor oil). That combo worked so much better than anything esle that I made a bulk purchase from Bass Pro on the grubs before they discontinued it. Current seams and deeper pools seemed to be the best spots. Very slow retrieve was very important for me too.

The following picture is of a nice walleye I caught under the 47 bridge in Yorkville on a December evening (2001). If memory serves me right, I recall it being about 24" (I was pretty excited landing that fish). Most walleyes were dinks with an occasional 16"+ fish. I have had on and lost bigger walleyes (much bigger) than the one pictured and Brandon (who I used to fish with) has caught bigger too.

Living close to the St. Joe River these past six years, I have traded looking for gold (walleyes) for looking for silver/chrome (steelhead).

GO HAWKS :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:00pm - Nov 19,10 
Russ, as crazy as this may sound, I remember the post when you caught that one. Aside from that you greatly expanded my knowledge of river reading though you posts over the years. Hope the Joe is treating you well my friend!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:37am - Nov 20,10 
Thanks guys, even though I haven't landed one yet I am starting to read post of them popping up and figure out the waters that are hanging out in.

Now I just need to stop the rod tip from icey up. ;)

Essox, we should hit the ice this year....

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:21pm - Nov 20,10 
Hopefully I find em 2morrow! I will be in the Yorkville area and will post some success.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:36pm - Nov 20,10 
Esox Tracker wrote:
Russ, as crazy as this may sound, I remember the post when you caught that one. Aside from that you greatly expanded my knowledge of river reading though you posts over the years. Hope the Joe is treating you well my friend!

Hey Esox,

Had a lot of fun hunting walleyes in the Fox. Many good memories for sure. There is definitely a lurning curve to consistently catch them. The Joe and its tribs have been very good to me. I don't smallie fish as much with all the brown trout in the St. Joe tribs and I have replaced winter walleye fishing with steelhead fishing. Different color fish but the same thing = getting out, wetting a line and enjoying the outdoors with friends a family :)

Here is a pic the silver that we traded for gold. My son wiht a nice buck steelhead

Take Care,
Russ

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:57pm - Nov 20,10 
twade wrote:
Essox, we should hit the ice this year....

Definitely. Should be about 2 weeks and I'll be hitting shallow weed beds in the northwoods chasing first ice eyes.

Russ, as much as I love icefishing, winter steelies are tough to beat! Nice one!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:46am - Nov 21,10 
Found a few small walleyes 2day, nothing big but fun to catch. Found them in 3-4ft, jig and minnows.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:09am - Nov 22,10 
Fished Yorkville area Sunday AM. The walleye are very elusive here this year too. In areas where I used to get them repeatedly before, this year almost nothing. Caught 4 small ones in 3 hours all on jig and plastic. Previous years used to get them all on small crankbaits. River is in perfect shape.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:15am - Nov 22,10 
Guys-
The water is pretty darn cold now. Has anyone been working really deep holes, 15' or more? The deep slow upstream sections above dams?
Just thinking here...They might have pulled out of their fall feeding locations and moved into deep wintering areas out of the current.
Good luck in your pursuits!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:29pm - Nov 22,10 
Will give it a try, thanks for the tip Esox!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:59pm - Nov 22,10 
Russ, If your'e on the Joe don't overlook their walleye population. Years ago we used to trolll bomber mod. 5A's above the hiway bridge in summer & fall and just kill the eye's. Limits were common.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:38pm - Nov 22,10 
The action up north for them eyes on the fox ( S Elgin - Algonquin ) has been steady. The size have been small 12-15" but the last few days the bigger eyes are starting to show up. I was out a couple days ago after dark and landed 3 17"-18" and was out this morning before work and landed 2 but they were over 23". Release the 23's" but I had other plans for the other 3 :D . Fishing pin's minnow and x-raps. I've been getting most of my action an hour after dark or an hour before dawn. My bites have been on the pause or on a the sloooow retrive. I do got to admit that the walleye fishing this year has been slow.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: