Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:47pm - Sep 14,10 
well... thanks to a 6 inch largemouth bass.. I didn't get skunked. First time i've fished the batavia dam. Started out about 100 yards down from the damn along side some other fisherman. I was trying to catch catfish. Tried liver, crawlers, large golden roaches, and stink bait. Nothing except the largemouth bass. I moved up to the dam, tried on both side of it. Nada. Not even a nibble.
Any suggestions for catching cats during low water? While I know it's fishing, not catching,it is getting a bit discouraging, within the last week, i've been to the Big H, the fox at geneva and the fox at batavia now.. with only 2 fish to show for it, not even bites for the most part.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Batavia & Coal City, IL; 17' '85 Ranger 335-V Bass Boat w/ 115hp Evinrude. Let's go fishin'

Post Posted: 08:02pm - Sep 14,10 
If it's cats you are after and you're in Dekalb, try the earth dam at Shabbona with a gulp leech under a slip float.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:39pm - Sep 14,10 
I was at Batavia this morning, and just disgusted. With a trash can just feet away, there were beer cans and rotting bags of shrimp all over. Apparently Laurelwood Park is a scumbag magnet. The carp and quillbacks were venturing right into 6" of water in predawn hours; I could have caught one with my net if I had wanted. Had a big problem with bait nibblers. Saw a ton of baitfish being run to surface, esp around the bridge, but didn't see by what. I assume it was cats, but they weren't taking worms or shrimp.

The Fox has been very quiet lately at every spot I have tried; IDK what it's waiting for.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:05am - Sep 15,10 
If you want cats, head out to braidwood now. This is what I have been getting lately. They are very easy to catch ; too easy almost. I hope some sort of regulations get put into effect for that lake.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:31am - Sep 16,10 
Took the suggestion of bearsfan (couldn't make braidwood), went down to shabbona, first time on the lake, very beautiful place. saw about 10 turkey vultures hanging out on the bridge over the earth damn spillway.

Try as I might, I just could not get leeches to float down the spillway. (see pic) They just kind of stuck.

Since the dam was dry, fished the earth dam on the lake side. Not even a nibble. Another guy was fishing 50 yards down from me and only caught one bluegill. Tried a bunch of baits, threw some spinners and crank baits.

good luck out there!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:03am - Sep 16,10 
Your bait is all wrong......I catch Flatheads all over the Fox River and you never mentioned the correct bait to CATCH the fish with....Do some omre research on what they like to eat.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:28am - Sep 16,10 
well i'm just trying to catch CATFISH, any kind would be nice right now. For Flatheads I'm using live bluegills or big cut shad. However at this point, i'd be happy with a bunch of channel catfish... good to hear that you're doing well with flathead on the fox. anytime you're willing to share some info.. i'm all ears.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:48am - Sep 16,10 
Are you allowed to fish below the dam at Shabbona?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:50pm - Sep 16,10 
Ilovefathogs wrote:
Your bait is all wrong......I catch Flatheads all over the Fox River and you never mentioned the correct bait to CATCH the fish with....Do some omre research on what they like to eat.

I have used live bluegill, but my favorite is big cut shad and shiners. The flattie I lost at Geneva a couple of weeks ago was on cut bait. I do not want to run into IDNR with a cooler of 'gills caught somewhere else.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:59pm - Sep 16,10 
How does the DNR prove where a bait fish is caught from? I understand the importance of not spreading VHS. I'm curious how the enforcement works.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:15pm - Sep 16,10 
I have run into county guys who do not even know about the VHS restrictions, so I am sure I could just play it off if necessary. Plus, I have never seen IDNR on the Fox at any location. However, there is the issue of when I fish, too... I am out in the middle of the night most often. I would have to sit on 'gills for a while, too, before I could get out with them. I like the cutbait because it keeps in the freezer just fine without any maintenance and is ready when I want it.

BTW fathogs, not real good with people skills, huh? I would be just fine doing things my way then listening to people who come off that way. Just sayin.

Chitown Bird Dog

Post Posted: 09:27pm - Sep 16,10 
Ilovefathogs wrote:

Nice first post! :roll:

Chitown-Angler

Location: Batavia & Coal City, IL; 17' '85 Ranger 335-V Bass Boat w/ 115hp Evinrude. Let's go fishin'

Post Posted: 06:21am - Sep 17,10 
Two Tone, I don't know anything about fishing below the dam at shabbona. Nophalias, I was suggesting ya fish the earth dam face because every time I've fished there with those gulp leeches, I've caught catfish on them. I don't target catfish. I've just caught plenty by accident, trying to figure out the walleye out there.

Nophalias, Braidwood might not be as close as Shabbona or the Fox River for ya, but after seeing muskyman's pics, I think I'd pay attention to what he has to say on the subject. DANG Dave!!! Those are some good ones.

Ilovefathogs, welcome to the site. I don't target catfish, but you're got me thinking... I wonder what the best bait is for catfish on the Fox River???

Good luck, good fishing.

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: