Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:51am - Sep 2,10 
Had some leftover roaches from a wasted trip to Mallard, hit east side of Geneva Dam. Below the dam, I had 2 very solid strikes that destroyed the soft plastics I was using at first. One tore a Paca Chunk craw to shreds, tearing off a claw and nearly ripping it off the hook. Later, I was using one of my favorite soft plastics, a Jackall Pintail Super Shad... and it happened again. Bit the sucker in two just behind the hook! After some wading and getting my plastics collection destroyed piece by piece, I settled down and threw bottom-rigged and slashed roaches out ahead of the dam. That's when things got really frustrating.

I hooked a flattie that ran in the 20+ lb range, bulldogging and staying deep. He made several hard runs, and started rolling when I worked him closer to shore. I got a look at him when he broke the surface, and couldn't believe my eyes. It would have been the biggest cat I have ever caught, by far. He also threw the hook less than 10' from shore! Nearly in tears, I kept at it, but had no other strikes. I later broke the tip off my best casting rod accidentally, and dunked my cell phone at the same time. I guess my luck is improving!

If I can post it, I have a pic of the half a Jackall. One guy felt it was walleye, but I sincerely doubt that. I was told of several wallys taken at the dam in the past few days, and a few northerns in the past week or two. The low water is going to be gone after last night's rains, but I will be back with big baits and a repaired rod. That flattie will haunt me until I catch him!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:07am - Sep 2,10 
Hey man ill probably be out there today if this rain lets up around 6ish i havent had the best of luck at batavia just one channel around 5-6 range. if your out look for a younger guy in the green gander mountain wadders....

Chitown Bird Dog

Post Posted: 07:26am - Sep 2,10 
Nice report. Sounds like you're into some good action. I'm sure you'll get another shot at a big cat, or s/thing else.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:09am - Sep 2,10 
Maybe it was a turtle. :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:36pm - Sep 2,10 
turtles have been everywhere below dams this year

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:22pm - Sep 2,10 
The fact that you had the opportunity to fight the fish was most important. Unless you were going to keep the big cat, you received the satisfaction of hunting him down and getting him to bite.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:58am - Sep 3,10 
Maliboo wrote:
Maybe it was a turtle. :wink:

I do have a pic from the day before of a snapper that took a J-5 Rapala off the park. And that was no turtle I fought dude, I saw him twice during the fight. When he first broke water, his back fin was huge. When I got a look at his head I nearly crapped myself. The ruckus he made got others' attention too.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:02pm - Sep 3,10 
i believe you had a cat on, i meant turtle that is tearing up lures

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:03pm - Sep 3,10 
and don't forget, nothing makes a fish bigger than not catching it

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:50am - Sep 4,10 
lmao I know... but seriously, I caught a 17lb channel on the other shore that was a lot smaller this one. No matter, I will be back after him. For next time, I have some big creek chubs in the freezer. As anyone who has fished the area knows well, the biggest enemy is snags. Those Gamakatsu 5/0s aren't cheap. I saw no turtles at all in the wash below the dam, they seemed to be piled up south of the bridge, where the park island starts.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:34am - Sep 4,10 
Where do you catch your creek chubs and what's big?? I want to try some for muskie

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:19pm - Sep 4,10 
maybe 6-8", got 'em at the bait shop. They were already frozen. IDK if that is optimal musky-fishin' size, and they are a whole lot more dead than musky look for lol. Lee's on Army Trail.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:59pm - Sep 4,10 
Cell phone and rod tip sounds like one of my buddy's experiences at wilmington dam one night everything was going wrong and he wasn't catching anything LOL.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:28am - Sep 5,10 
Creek Chubs..... if you dont wanna pay for them i have the best spot right by my house in west chicago... all sizes from large minnow-muskie chubs and suckers my creek is filled with em..... kress creek on wilson and joliet rd you can park on the side of the road and fish eith side of the creek just with a little ice jig and waxxie you will kill them all year long..... any other info shoot me a message and ill get them for you

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:54am - Sep 5,10 
yes, Kress creek, and the W branch of the Dupage as well. A #12 fly makes it a little more entertaining. There are quite a few small creeks that run through the whole area, and bait-hunting isn't the worst way to waste a few hours.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:08am - Sep 6,10 
No its not at all.... if you walk the creek north from joliet there are alot of minnows in there too and if you have a casting net or a sane net you will do pretty good...but any way went to Geneva Dam yesterday....cause 4 cats all in the 3-7 range 2 were like 3lbers the otheres were the 6-7 lbers.... but anyway i was standing in the middle on the rocks and there isnt really that much area to stand on and i was with my little 13 year old brother...and i see some guy with dress pant and a fishing pole getting in the water and started walking twards us. obviously he saw us catching fish and not him. This A-hole comes and walks right in between me and my brother and starts fishing in my brothers spot. i didnt say anything cause i knew he wasnt gonna get nothing with his (treble-hook catfish tube slip bobber and chicken liver set up) but then this idiot has the nerve to call me friend and ask me for a minnow.... what did he want next my fish too..... anyway he still never caught anything. but watch out for people in dress pants and red (man-dles) man Sandles

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:45pm - Sep 6,10 
^^^Another reason why I don`t really like to fish that dam anymore. People will cast over my lines purposely to piss me off so I can leave. I've also seen people try to cast within 10 ft from the people wading. Oh yeah, my buddy told me that there are some guys in there that throw cast nets and keep everything they catch. I would call the IDNR, but he told me that they are there before daybreak.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:12pm - Sep 6,10 
If I see castnets, yeah the IDNR is gettin called. I have been known to intentionally cross lines with idiots a few times so they can't fish either. Eventualy, most get tired and/or POd enough to move.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:12am - Sep 8,10 
I dont use casting net to catch fish i use them for bait....but i have seen people using them at batavia before keeping 3" bluegills its F'd up

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: