Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:46pm - Aug 24,10 
Got out for a few hours this afternoon. The day started with me scaring a nice brown under some cover. Then ran into another nice brown that I lured from cover a few times but couldn't get it to bite. I was beginning to think this would be a slow late summer trout outing. The first fish landed was a rainbow about 10-inches (this was a resident rainbow - which is rare as most of the bows are steelhead fry, par & smolts). Once in a while, I will get a stream bow and they are always a treat.

Picked up a bunch of smaller bows in predictable spots - fast water chutes. Picked up a few smaller browns too and I made my way to a big fish spot and I decided to break with the convential spinner and use a crank. This area has yeilded many nice browns in the past and a handful of big steelhead. You never know what you'll get. First cast was with a brown trout pattern crank and I got a 15" brown. Picked up a couple smaller fish and then switch to a larger Yo-Zuri crank with a rainbow trout pattern. First cast with the bow pattern yeilded a very aggressive strike and a really nice battle with something. That fish ended up being a very scrappy 15 to 16" smallie (very fun on UL tackle). This is gonna sound strange, but I was kinda dissapointed that it was a smallie. Before that fish came into view, I was thinking 18+ inch brown. Nothing wrong with a smallie, but they are not what I am after in a trout stream.

One memorable fish was another smallie: I pulled a small brown along the current side of some timber and then fished the slow side and wondered why am I fishing the slow side and a 10 to 12" smallie took it. Got to remember, this time of year, smallies will wander up the creek with the increased summer water temps. Any other time of year and the spring fed water is too cold for the smallies.

Did not see any steelies which was a surprise. Will start wading for kings sometime soon.

Sorry, didn't bring the camera.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 10:13pm - Aug 24,10 
Sure is nice to read of your adventures again Russ. When you search your stream, do you wade up the middle to access those tight holding fish?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:57am - Aug 25,10 
Hey WSJ,

My approach is usually dictated by the over hanging cover. This is a small stream and is very heavily covered and there are usually not many options for fishing a given spot. Lots of pitching near timber. There are a handful of spots that I know fish will hang out in but they are very hard to approach without putting the fish down. There in lies the lure of trout fishing - they are weary and wise and you don't get a lot of 2nd chances. Your approach and first cast need to be "spot on." If you have blown it, you might as well move on or your wasting time. It is a lot different than smallie fishing. With smallies (gotta love them btw), they are very aggresive and will often give you a 2nd chance. You can step on their head one minute and catch them the next minute. How many times have you caught a smallie muitlple times in the same hole on the same day (that happens, it happened to me yesterday). That won't happen with a brown; in fact, that nice brown in the hole your fishing may still be "put down" from the guy who waded the stream yesterday.

Getting back to your question: I always wade upstream. The bows usually hang out in fast water chutes replying on the disturbed surface for cover whereas the browns prefer their cover to be over hanging banks and timber. The rainbow chutes are usually in straight areas where I can make some "long" casts. When I fish a spot, I make short casts first and then move to long casts. Most spots, I'll make a few casts and then move on (I am looking for the active fish). This time of year, it is real hard to pull larger browns from cover. The exception to my "run and gun" pattern, is the lunker hole: it is a bigger spot with a lot of current and much surface disturbance (I'll make about 15 to 20 casts in that spot).

Plan on fishing for smallies soon in a river that is similar to the Fox. I'll report back (also, I'll bring the camera with fresh batteries).

Take Care,
Russ

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: