Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:36pm - Jul 13,10 
Monday flow was about 2000 CFS and 1.7 after it rained during the night Tuesday was about 3800 CFS and 1.98. Due to other committments both days, I fished the evening hoursafter supper.
Monday maybe 3 feet or so of visibilty in water, next day about 6 inches, water temps around 80 degrees.

Monday found fish relating to channel edges for the most part. Fished cranks and rattlebaits, got a few on that pattern. Next up fished a small rocky island topped with waterwillow. This island has a long narrow point to the front, has a wider sloping edge around the side and a decent sized, kinda shallow slack area behind. On the shoreline adjacent to it are extensive water willow beds with good depth next to them. I tossed a crankbait across to the other side of the point and worked it back down into the channel back to the edge of the waterwillow. the only time I caught fish was when the crank momentarily hung on a slight rise in the rock bottom. It got nabbed as soon as it popped fre. No snag, no fish. i moved down to fish the side and back of the island, got one small bass where the slope downward flattened out on a crank. I fished a rattlebait all thru the slack area and down into the channel to no avail.

Next up moved to an area at the head of a large island where the incoming channel is just about solid waterwillow. There was a pod a bass herding small shad against a very shallow lip, maybe 6 inches deep. I met up with another angler who is one of the best on the river, he tossed topwaters, I tossed rattlebaits. The bass ignored us.

Tuesday fished the same areas, usually I won't fish the same place two days in a row but I wanted to see if the change in water conditions made a big difference to the fish. I got a couple on the edge of the channel in the first spot on a fluke with a weighted hook. They hit after the fluke touched botoom and I lifted the rod tip a bit to keep it moving with the flow. The island was next, this time the fish were all relating to the top of the point, couldn't get bit anywhere else in relation to the island. I went back to the front of the big island and the bass were chasing shad again. This time I got 3 on an unweighted fluke tossed to the edge of the willow and eased back to the lip they were pushing shad against.

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:29am - Jul 14,10 
Nice read Creeky thanks!

I have a question for you since you are a bass guy.

This past week I had the week off and the Bass were loaded up in the harbor. The first couple days they were real aggressive but then shut off. All the Bass were holding right tight to the surface and lots of them but they wouldn't take anything tossed there way.

The surface temp was 71 and we had some hot days with passing storms.

I worked them hard! Barametric temps, hot weather, didn't like the baits?

Just wanted to see if you had any thoughts because there was some real nice fish that wouldn't even move!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:08am - Jul 14,10 
Marc,

Maybe they had fed earlier or were going to feed later. They might have turned on when the sun dipped behind a cloud or the chop on the water increased from a breeze making them feel a bit more secure. Possibly oxygen depletion deeper brought them higher in the water column and they were stressed. Most likely you just didn't find the lure or speed/cadence in your retrieve that tripped thier trigger.

You may have been being hit by karma for sins in a previous life or they were all female fish and just being contrary. :D :lol:

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:04am - Jul 15,10 
Norm, I can relate to that post.With last week being so good this week has been a complete turn around.The last few times I have tried
different time slots,even 5am which is rare for me averaging only a half dozen fish a day. My days only run about 4-5hrs. with
this heat.Changing baits frequently found nothing consistent.Yesterday when the angle of the sun enabled me to follow my bait I saw many bass
following and turning away.Also spooked a lot of big bass out of the willows along with some monster carp.For me most fish are coming out of or next to fast water.Sometimes as little as eight inches deep on flats.Most fish being caught on buzzbaits.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26pm - Jul 15,10 
Creeky, Thank You very much. :watr

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: