Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:57am - Jul 5,10 
5,000 cfs 2.4 and dropping, murky at best, didn't bother with temps, still can't wade past the first seam due to flow rate. It was very nice weather wise early in the AM, got brutal after the sun came up, few white puffy clouds, variable breeze. Later in the day it was ok if the breeze was going , if not I roasted. Lot's of activity early on, animal, bird, fish, bug and crawdads. I saw tadpoles, spooked a few frogs and heard a few more. There was one flurry of some sort of hatch, to judge by the bird and fish response, must have been a small bug as I couldn't make them out for a longish cast away. I guess what kind of bug doesn't matter, what mattered was it lead to a flurry of feeding.

I fished point pools, the back side of a couple islands that were within casting distance, laydowns, water willow bedsthat had 1.5 to 2 feet of water next to them, the washout holes behind the waterwillows, shore line related slack areas, some bridge abutments and lots of current seams.

Storm Chug Bugs wre the ticket before the sun got over the tree line and when they would quit in a given area, I switched to a rattlebait to get a few more. That was in shore line related slack pockets and off the back side of an island. I got into water willows a couple times during the day, a single spin on the edge and into the pockets worked just fine there. I used a Bandit 200 in the washout holes behind a couple water willow beds to get a couple.

Up until about 930 or 1000 a Bandit 300 worked upstream along current seams was working, after that it had to be a weighted keeper hook with a 5 inch Kalins grub worked downstream along the seam to get bit. Lord knows I tried going back to the crank on the seams but the fish weren't having anf of it.

I used a swimbait in the shade of a bridge along the abutments to get a couple, they wouldn't take a crank there and missed a couple on jigs due to distractions on a nearby bike path. I finished up swimming the weighted keeper hook/kalins just off the bottom in a point pool for the biggest fish of the day.

On the bug hatch got three quick fish on the jig/twister as that's what I had on. Decent size all about 15 inches.

49 smallies, biggest 19.5 inches most in the 9 to 15 inch range, 5 rock bass, biggest 10.5 inches, 4 walleye biggest 29 3/4 inches and 2 small channel cats in the mid teens.

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:41am - Jul 5,10 
Norm,I know you always catch fish but I was more interested in those distractions on the bike path.
Yesterday I fished the other river,frst time in Illinois in 6weeks.Spending to much time in Wisconsin.
Anyway,similar results but no big fish.Had to change baits frequently to get bit.I should be getting down
your way sometime this week.Hope to see you there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:57am - Jul 5,10 
creekyknees,
Where have you been? I have missed you reports.

:thanks

Support Staff

Post Posted: 11:40am - Jul 5,10 
Thank you.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:40pm - Jul 5,10 
Excellent report, I sure miss wading SW WI for those trout. Thanks, Craig

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:23pm - Jul 5,10 
Great report ! Thank You Very Much, hoping to get there, possibly this coming weekend. Again, :thanks . Strobs

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:27pm - Jul 5,10 
Now that had to be a fun day even for a pro like yourself. Just what enticed the eyes to play "tug-o-war" with you?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:40am - Jul 6,10 
The distractions were first class. I've been around, just not posting as much, lots of conservation meetings, went to Conservation Congress, more health issues and just generally not feeling like putting in much time on the computer.

The biggest walleye came on a weighted keeper hook/5 inch smoke Kalins twister swum just off the bottom, the others on cranks on the seams.

Got to go take care of business today, so I can fish the rest of the week.

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:39am - Jul 6,10 
Great to hear from you it's been too long. Wow 3/4 of and inch from the improbable dream of 20/30 in Illinois. Awesome day & post Norm!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:28pm - Jul 12,10 
Nice report Norm. I think of wading sometimes then........NAH.

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:04pm - Jul 30,10 
Hey Norm,

Sounds like a lot of fun :D a 20" smallie and a 30" walleye :shock

Nice report.

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: