Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:36pm - May 7,10 
Trout season in Michigan opened last Saturday and I finally got out today. Fished a couple hours in between storms. Had a very nice first outing of the season. Caught about ten trout. The biggest was in the 14 to 16" range and had several in the 8 to 14" range. The most memorable brown from today was caught near a bridge: I was in the down stream shallow pool below a bridge, the bridge has two tunnels that allow flow under it and one tunnel gets much more flow. I usually have a nice bown that will hang out at the end of that tunnel. Had a nice brown take a swipe at my lure. I kept casting in the tunnel and he would take a swipe at it each time (this happened about eight times). The last time, he actually followed the lure out of the tunnel and down a little rappids area and into the shallow pool that I was standing in. So, I didn't move my feet and kept swimming my lure through the pool and he finally hit the lure and I landed him. Multiple follow ups is rare with browns. Usually, you get one follow up and that is it (hit or no hit). You can tell it is early in the season. In a month, that same fish will only take one swipe at that lure.

Did go one for two the steelhead today (only these were smolts) :lol: The first one was pretty small and it jumnped and thrashed like a hyper spaz and the lure popped out. In this stream, those are one of three fish: steelhead, coho or chinook fry. Even though they are small, they are a treat because they are evidence of natural reproduction witch is pretty rare in SW Michigan. The one I landed was a pretty rainbow, about 6 or 7 inches, it still had its par markings and was just starting to turn silver/chrome.

Didn't have a camera today :(

Environmentally Friendly Chitown Angler

Post Posted: 02:06pm - May 7,10 
Nice report. Could picture it vividly.

Support Staff

Location: SW Florida, Smokercraft 192 Ultima,115 4 stroke Mercury.

Post Posted: 02:17pm - May 7,10 
Been waiting for one of your reports, you take the most amazing pictures, and you forget the camera...????

OK, I guess I can wait till next time. :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:20pm - May 7,10 
Jay wrote:
Been waiting for one of your reports, you take the most amazing pictures, and you forget the camera...????

OK, I guess I can wait till next time. :D

Thanks guys :)

Jay, I don't know what I did with my camera????? I have been out of town all week. I think it may be in my desk at the office. I tried looking for my daughter's but she had it in her purse at school. I had a really neat scenery picture that made me wish I had a camera.

I've got another outing this week. I am "guiding" a freind from church. I left several pools untouched one of which I have caught steelhead and a 20-inch brown. I hope to put him on some nice browns. I will bring a camera.

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: