Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:06pm - Apr 29,10 
I've got a metric butt ton load of stuff to do tomorrow and I start 8 days in a row at work Saturday so I figured I would hit the Chain (what with the Gale warnings out on Lake Mich and all). The morning did not go well at the start. Stopped by my Antioch bait store of choice and Ed wasn't there yet. I figured I would get everything ready to launch the boat. About 10 minutes after I finished with the boat, Ed showed up. I got a dozen large Fatheads and a dozen Crappie minnows. Total came to $5.10 and Ed said if I didn't have the dime not to worry about it. I flipped a quarter on the counter and told him to keep the .15¢ for the next time I don't have the dime. He put another dozen Crappie Minnows in my bucket. OK, things are getting better. Got to Barnacle Bob's to launch and the wind was blowing pretty good. I knew boat control on the TM would be iffy. Paid my $12.00 to launch and headed out. Worked the bridge and Channel between Channel Lake and Lake Marie and nary a bite. Went out on to Marie proper and started working a few spots out there. Decided to play with the baitcaster a bit, figuring if it psst me off again, Marie has a deep hole I could throw it in. I don't know what I did wrong with that thing but I couldn't get it to backlash or overrun to save my butt. I cast into the wind, with the wind, across it... that Revo STX just wanted to work right. Picked up this decent LM Bass with it off the point and a little later thought I had a hog of a Walleye.

After a little over 5 minutes of battling this thing I saw it...

CARP (a 2 footer)

Well, it was a nice fight on a 6-1/2 foot UL with 6lb test

Went to Pistakee and stopped at the Grass Lake Road bridge on the way. Nothin' doin' there.

Worked a few shore lines on Pistakee and had one hit, but couldn't stick it.

Decided to head home as it was nearly noon. Stopped under RT 12 and for some reason there was no flow and hardly any wind. Boat barely drifted along. Decided to kill the motor and toss a jig for a bit. Second cast I felt that tap, tap, tap. Set the hook and 2 minutes later it was in the boat... A drum (no picture but if you need to see one let me know). Drifted a little further and almost as soon as the jig hit the water next to a piling, wham, nice 13" White Bass.

A couple more casts later and I finally hooked up with my quarry, a Walleye. Twas a short one about 12" that was released just as it surfaced. OK, I didn't boat a Walleye, but I did hook one and I saw it, so I'm counting it.

That was enough. Pulled up the TM and headed back to Marie and Barnacle Bob's. All fishes were released. Glad I gout out and just hope I don't Jones too bad during the next week.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:14pm - Apr 29,10 
Good post pops. That should hold you over for a while. As you say- at least you got out- better than sinking on th big pond too! :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:29pm - Apr 29,10 
hey popeye,

thanks for the report.

you caught some fish too > so its not a bad day out.

thanks for your time
mark b

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:06pm - Apr 29,10 
is that a Shimano Clarus spinning rod?

Great report as always....now I know where to find you!

Nick

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:36pm - Apr 29,10 
Welcome Nickk. :helloooooo This is one of the few sites I can access at work, which is part of the reason I don't get on Tinboats as much as I used to.
Yes, that's a Clarus paired up with a 750 Symetre. Sweet setup for anything from Blue Gill to 2 foot Carp. :lol:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:54pm - Apr 29,10 
Looks like a fun time was had. What ya do with all the leftover minners ?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:03am - Apr 30,10 
strobs wrote:
What ya do with all the leftover minners ?

Not sure why I kept them, but they are in my shed with an aquarium aerator.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:29am - Apr 30,10 
Hey Andy, good for you - too bad about no walleyes though :(
Finally joined up after 3 years of reading, but not posting :)

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:35am - Apr 30,10 
Shoulda been there Joe. That was a pretty awesome battle with that carp and I kinda needed a net man.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:10pm - Apr 30,10 
Popeye wrote:
Shoulda been there Joe. That was a pretty awesome battle with that carp and I kinda needed a net man.

Ha, I'll be your net man if you'll be mine for the walleyes :lol:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:59pm - Apr 30,10 
Hey Pops, I should be out next week. I will give the first fish I catch a kiss for you.

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: