Author
Search for:
Support Staff

Post Posted: 07:49pm - Apr 6,10 
I don't believe I have ever read of anyone here using a shad scoop net.
Do any of you own one or have you used one for gathering bait?
Those who do, do they troll around in circles to round them up?
Why is this not a popular way of gathering wild bait around here?

Support Staff

Location: SW Florida, Smokercraft 192 Ultima,115 4 stroke Mercury.

Post Posted: 07:57pm - Apr 6,10 
Any, they used to be used in FL for a long time, then came the net ban, which was a good thing. I was in a house last week here that was being foreclosed on, there must have been 1000's of feet of gill net in the garage of this home......

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:42am - Apr 7,10 
Any,
I catch most of my own bait with a cast net. I have heard of scoop nets for smelt which are primarily used in rivers that feed the big lake mostly in Michigan. Basically they walk a few feet out into the river and sweep the net starting upstream and proceeding downstream. I catch Alewives Smelt and shiners with the cast net but have used them in other lakes also they can be no more than 8 foot diameter in Illinois. I used a cast net in Florida and instantly became everyone on the piers best friend as i was able to procure large quantities of bait quickly. That was a few years ago so not sure if they have changed the laws or not. LMK if there is anything else i missed.
GLGF
Fin

addendum my apologies Any i was thinking of something else so i googled it and it said this.

Sure they work. BUT your gonna find a lot more aggravation, high blood pressure, and tired muscles than you will with a cast net. There is no easy way to catch shad, unless the cast net is considered to be easy. To use the net you pull behind a boat, you need to locate a surface school of shad (usually not a problem in summer) put out the net about 20' behind the boat, then steer in an arc pulling the net through the school of shad. When you have a net full, you have to pull the net in before they all escape. Go too fast and the pressure of the shad will kill a lot of the shad, then the others will escape. You can only use them in open water, as they are like tree / rock magnets.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 12:37pm - Apr 7,10 
Thanks Fin,
I have a cast net, which I use for gathering shad in shallow water on a southern reservoir and I have a long handled smelt net, which I occasionally use for dipping smelt in a creek in Door County.
This shad scoop net could be the ticket for me I’m thinking, when fishing the deep strip pits.
Farm raised bait shop bait just isn’t great bait when compared to wild and I have seen first hand where wild out produced same farm raised by a bunch.
If I could toss this shad net out behind the boat when motoring to and fro and get myself some of that wild stuff, I figure I could up my odds of actually catching myself a fish maybe once in a while.
No one around here has used one of these?

Board index » Species Specific » Panfish Anyone.....
Jump to: