Author
Search for:
Environmentally Friendly Chitown Angler

Post Posted: 03:48am - Mar 28,10 
Got out early in morning and hit up a couple areas on the fox. Started throwing a jerkbait (emerald shiner-color) with only one hook up/snag that lasted all of 15secs.

After couple hours I started to doubt if there were any fish in the fox and was going to head to another spot. That's when Pauleye's post(w/ monster smallie) popped into my head. Try areas that you normally wouldn't put much effort into.

So I tied on a 1/16th oz jig w/ 3" gulp minnow and started casting in shallow water(2'-3') w/ very little current. About 5 mins. into working this area I feel a tap....tap......and then the line starts heading north!

Hookset!!! Fish on!!!!

I was about a minute into the fight when I caught my first glimpse..... :shock

My knees started shaking and I wasn't really moving the fish any closer. It was just swimming in a lil area and I started thinking I should get video.

I reached in pocket only to find out my phone was left in truck....DOH!

5 more mins into the fight I am saying to myself..."There is no way I am not getting a pic...this is a wall mounter(replica)" so I was trying to think of ways to keep this 30" fish alive......

With heart ready to explode, wrist sore from fight, and my knees ready to give out at any time I finally get a good look at my catch...............

and that's when I realized it was not a walleye.....It was a salmon!!!!! You heard me correct...It was a Fox River salmon! (aka carp).

It was huge!!!! guestimate would be in the 15lb class and was one of those weird big scale carp.

Fun fight that lasted an easy 10 mins but disappointed thinkin' I had a once in a lifetime fish.

I thought for sure w/ the tap tap and the run upstream it was a wally.

Ended up casting around lil schools of baitfish and popping jig off bottom to imitate dying bait and snagged another, lot smaller, fox river salmon before I headed home.

Heading out there right now.....

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 05:21am - Mar 28,10 
That's like buying a loto ticket and have all but the last number match :doh
Does give ya quite the thrill.

Chitown Bird Dog

Post Posted: 09:49am - Mar 28,10 
Cool story! Ya just never know know what you're going to tie into, on the river. Good luck to you this morning/day. 8)~

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:21am - Mar 28,10 
I was fishing worms with light wire hooks and had one "straightened out" by one of those years ago below Algonquin... if you like hooking into a big one while "anything" fishing, hard to beat those early season carp.

Shawn

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:45am - Mar 28,10 
Great story! Even though it wasn't what you were looking for, I'm sure it was a blast...and sure beats sitting home (or work) reading about catching fish on the internet! Thanks for the report and good luck.

Environmentally Friendly Chitown Angler

Post Posted: 03:41am - Mar 29,10 
Was out (3-28) and got the big ol' skunko. Fished for 3-4 hours on river w/ a gentlemen I met there. Got a new lead on a smallmouth pond so guess I didn't go home too empty handed.

Then fished my crappie pond and between 3 guys only one 12" crappie, 7-8" sunfish, and a huge crawdad!!!! Was out there from 5pm-dark.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:54am - Mar 29,10 
Saturday 12-2:30. Waded below Yorkville dam. Saw a guy leaving with about 6 on the stringer. Pretty sure they were walleye but didn't see them close up. I hit my spots and caught 2 walleye. Both in the 2-3 lb class. Couldn't get to my favorite spot- water still a bit high, but it is coming down and very wadable. Very clear.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:01pm - Mar 31,10 
hey atit just wait till the water warms up the smallies will be there right now with that currennt there holding tight to structure u have to put it right in front of them look for fallin timber and bridge pilling and dont forget those little cut in the shore line good luck hope to c u out there fish on

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:15am - Apr 1,10 
Thanks for the tips!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26am - Apr 1,10 
Gotta love it, just get out there again..

Profile WWW  

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: