Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:32pm - Sep 5,09 
Wasnt sure where to post this so I will try here. Im thinking about maybe heading to Mathessien tomorrow for some dove in the afternoon but would like to wade for smallies somewhere in the area in the morning. Any suggestions of rivers or creeks that are good for smallies in that area??

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:10pm - Sep 5,09 
The vermillion river is close. After you pass the state park and hit the 4 way stop turn right till the road comes to the small bridge which is the river. Decent fishing for whites and smallies...

Poorboy

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:52pm - Sep 5,09 
thanks poorboy! I think I have done a raft trip on the vermillion and camped and took some dirt bikes out at an old mine in that area when I was younger. Still havent decided where to hunt tomorrow but if I do head out there I will be giving that a try.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:06pm - Sep 6,09 
I'd fish the Vermillion River in the State Park. Go past the Dells area to the next entrance (can't recall what they call it: either picnic or river area). You'll see a grassy picnic area with a tree lined forest behind it. Park as close to the forest as you can get and find a trail head into the woods and hike down to the river. I love that place.

In that part of the river that you will first see when you come out of the woods, I used to put my kids on smallies floating a night crawler under a float in the slack water behind big boulders. I found bigger smallies down river from there after two bends in the river. It is not an easy wade to get down there (be forwarned). There is an amazing eddy way down there that holds big fish. My biggest smallie there was 19.5 inches.

Here is some pics of past outings with the kids:

My daughters first river smallie (published in the Outdoor Notebook)

It's a beautiful wade in the State Park.

Bonne chance!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:39pm - Sep 17,09 
Wow your pics Razzo bring back some memories. I'm going to have to dig way back and find my pictures of the Vermilion. I have some of the exact same pics if I could find them. That is probably the prettiest river in Illinois, so much so that you don't even think you're in Illinois.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:39pm - Sep 17,09 
siubassin wrote:
...That is probably the prettiest river in Illinois, so much so that you don't even think you're in Illinois.

That's the same thought that I had, "this is in Illinois?" The Vermillion is one of my favorite places on Planet Earth. Have you ever seen the Apple River in the Apple River Canyon State Park? Those two rivers are tops on my list of Illinois Rivers for scenic beauty. The Apple River just may be the best smallmouth river in the state (no offense K3). The lower Fox makes the list for scenic beauty too.

So many beautiful places and all within reach of all of my Chicago buddies. Happy exploring my fiends :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:41pm - Sep 17,09 
siubassin wrote:
Wow your pics Razzo bring back some memories. I'm going to have to dig way back and find my pictures of the Vermilion. I have some of the exact same pics if I could find them. That is probably the prettiest river in Illinois, so much so that you don't even think you're in Illinois.

Hey Ben, we may have had this conversation before (I can't recall) but I graduated from SIU back in 1991. There are some nice fishing spots down there too. BTW: you ever go to the spillway - that place was pretty scenic.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:38pm - Sep 22,09 
I think we talked about this a looong time ago, Razzo. I've had an absolute blast fishing down here. In my opinion, there is some of the best fishing in the state within 20 minutes of Carbondale. I've been known to visit the Spillway from time to time. Now that they outlawed beer there, the visits are more infrequent, but I do get out to Kinkaid fairly often to fish. That's another pretty lake along with Cedar and Devil's Kitchen.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:53pm - Aug 7,10 
Razzo I finally took your advice and fished this spot; we had a great day and got a 17 or 18in fish as well! I posted a quick report. I'm headed back again and this time might try Poorboys suggestion.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:22pm - Aug 11,10 
macrackus wrote:
Razzo I finally took your advice and fished this spot; we had a great day and got a 17 or 18in fish as well! I posted a quick report. I'm headed back again and this time might try Poorboys suggestion.

Glad you were able to get out there. I miss the Vermillion more than any other river that I fished in Illinois (even more than K3).

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:38pm - Aug 11,10 
WOW looking at your pictures again the river looks so different with water actually in it :) It was very low when I was there but that worked out pretty well because its easier to figure out the river when I make it back at higher water.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:16pm - Aug 11,10 
The Vermillion is very pretty and looks very wadable. With the warning, are there any deep dropoffs to watch out for?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:36pm - Aug 11,10 
I didnt notice anything that drops off sharply. It is tough walking and wading though with alot of boulders and rocks. Just take it slow make sure you have your footing before stepping and you'll be fine. It is definitely now one of my favorite rivers. Here are some more pics:

Profile WWW  

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: