Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:10am - Jan 23,08 
Some more tips and observations of Salt Creek. I've gotten to know Bemis north and south quite well now. Someone mentioned that the creek east of 294 was pretty good a while back. The most I've seen anyone take was a small bull head off the now closed foot bridge between N. bemis and S. Bemis.

I did notice some fat silver looking fish, that didn't look like carp and didn't have that walleye/pike torpedo shape just east of the foot bridge.

I notices some more of these same fish hanging out in the pool just adjacent to to the 294 bridge. The don't look like carp or those ugly looking suckers. Had enough experince with those blasted things where the Salt meets the DP.

That pool right next to the 294 might be worth checking out. And now that there's a paved path on the north side of the creek, it would be no problem getting in there.

Just east of the foot bridge there's another small spot that may be interesting as well. The creek slows down here, and becomes muddier. Looks deeper too. If you look for the flood pool on the opposite side of the horse trail, this is the area I'm talking about. I've seen alot of gills and what I think are trout that had moved up into the flood pool that got stuck in there after the creek level went back down again.

I'm just curious, other then my one bad expiernce over at 1st ave and Ogden, right next to the boat ramp, I thought I might get something if I drifted leeches or shinners form the creek into the dp. But all I got was those ugly suckers! What kind of rigs/baits are you folks using on the salt? Anyone fish north of the lyons damn? If so, what have you been catching?

Oh, btw, if you're ever at bemis and you see a big guy along the creek just east of the foot bridge, and he's playing in the gravel bar on the bend, that's me! Come by, I'll show ya some of the gold I've been getting.

Jax

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:57am - Jan 23,08 
Jaxom wrote:
I did notice some fat silver looking fish, that didn't look like carp and didn't have that walleye/pike torpedo shape just east of the foot bridge.

White Suckers and/or Creek Chubs. Both are cool little fish and fun on the light gear.

Want more - PM me.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:58am - Jan 23,08 
Over 2 or 3 years, back around 2000, 41,000 smallies were stocked below the Graue Mill dam.

Fishing was good for a few years for smallies, then started to die down, then caught a couple with missing gills and never fished there again.

I hear walleye can still be caught, but the creek pretty much killed off all the smallies. The IDNR shocking surveys coincided with my fishing experiences. They found the exact same thing.

While it was good the smallies grew to 15 inches. Caught 30 smallies from 294 to the first foot bridge in Bemis one time. That was funny, come up out of the creek to find a guy standing naked next to his car in the parking lot. Remember, don't go near cars backed into parking stalls.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:09pm - Jan 23,08 
Ken G wrote:
That was funny, come up out of the creek to find a guy standing naked next to his car in the parking lot. Remember, don't go near cars backed into parking stalls.

This is the first time I'm hearing this.....

For the past few years my friends and I have been referring to that dilapidated bridge as "Brokeback Bridge". What a coincidence. :lol:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:16pm - Jan 23,08 
First started hanging out in Cook County Forest Preserves when I was 17. That would be 34 years ago. Learned real fast about the backed in cars. All CCFP preserves back then were perv magnets. Some still are.

Watch your back. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:53pm - Jan 23,08 
Quote:
All CCFP preserves back then were perv magnets. Some still are.

Watch your back. :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Ive been ice fishn in some ccfp lately and uh ya something with those cars aint rite! :shock: :lol:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:38pm - Jan 23,08 
Try not to park close to those guys or they start watching you, have had a guy follow me to the wwd. Was ready to call cops.

"3/4 of the Earth is made of water. Does that mean were suppose to spend 3/4 of our time on the water?"

UW-Platteville Bass Angler's President
-FLW College Fishing
-St. Croix Rod's
-Gander Mountain

Profile WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: