Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:58am - Jan 17,08 
Yup, like when I woke up at 4am and said, "I'm hitting the creeks" Pretty last minute! Anyone gonna be out there if you run into me say hi. Just look for the green hat with the salmonoid on it and the blue hood!
I will have camo waders on, but not the "happy pants ones :wink:
See ya later for a hopefully good report!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:54am - Jan 17,08 
Good luck Cory :)

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:24pm - Jan 17,08 
Good thing u got out today the Coldest Day Tourny is Saturday and the creeks will b busy, I thought about goin sunday but from past experiences most of the fish u find will be pretty spooked from gettn pounded all day. :cry:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:11pm - Jan 17,08 
I was out there this morning and would have enjoyed meeting you considering your tips have paid off tremendously. I banged a brute off of 20 just on the other side of the bridge that was probably my biggest and toughest battle. My knees are still shaking. I'm still new to this but have become frinkn crazed. This site has increased my percentages greatly. I should get a digital camera but I'm still living in the stone age. Thanks to Cory and everyone who has posted. Just seeing and reading about the different rigs is awsome. :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:39pm - Jan 17,08 
do any of you guys fish with pins?? I started about a year ago, man that the way to fish them creeks!!
Joe :jump

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:07pm - Jan 17,08 
JoeFly wrote:
do any of you guys fish with pins?? I started about a year ago, man that the way to fish them creeks!!
Joe :jump

Pins?? pls explain

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:50pm - Jan 17,08 
a centerpin reel is the most basic of all reels. Most do not have any drag what-so-ever, so its just you against the fish. It's kind of a cross between a flyreel and a baitcaster, except there is no thumb button or bail or anything. your fingers are the thumb button and the drag is pressure from your hand onto the spool. I had the opourtunity to play with one, and they are SWEET!! I'm just getting into it, as I don't have one yet, but I will.

The significance of the centerpin reel is to be able to pinpoint exactly the right amount of line and speed when you're drift fishing creeks for steelhead and browns. Most people would think that speed of bait and bobber would'nt mean jack, but its the #1 most important thing when steelheading in the creeks. I've witnessed it first hand. One can completely minipulate line direction and speed of bait. It's actually really cool to watch someone who's mastered it, well at least until they catch the steelhead you've been trying to catch for the last 20 drifts. I'm fortunate to have been brought under the wings of INSTEEL and MCSTEEL and they are superb steelheaders. A pin is definately on my list of things to get.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:04pm - Jan 17,08 
float rods and centerpin reels. google centerpin reels, it will be easier than me explaining it. basically it looks like a fly reel, but it completely free spool, no drag. they have bearings that allow them to spin forever. as your float goes down stream the reel slowly lets off line to give the most natural and effective drift you can get. when you hook a fish it is you and the fish, no drag. you control the fish by "palming" the spool, you are the only form of a drag! its awesome!! I use a pin for other fish also, bass,walleyes and carp. its the best way to present live bait there is. in the creeks we drift spawn and flies also. sometimes nymph patterns or egg patterns. its a whole new world of fishing. the only drawback is it expensive to get into. all the hardcore creek guys in Ind. use them, thats how I got into it. its very popular with the guys that fish the creeks in Ohio too. pretty much any of the tribs of the great lakes you'll find guys using centerpins as their first choice. but like I said, they are pricey. the average is $250-350 for the reel alone. you can get them cheaper, but on the otherhand you will see them up to $500-600. the precise machining and high quality bearings are the main reason behind the price. but it is the most effective way to fish the creeks by far.
Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:07pm - Jan 17,08 
I watched a guy work one at the NW steelheaders club and they are awsome. Definitely worth doing. I'd also like to hook up on a fly rod, but for now I'm still trying to figure out how to read the stream and keep my sheet out of the bushes and trees.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:11pm - Jan 17,08 
stinkbait, we must have been repling at the same time. you said pretty much what I did. those are the guys that got me going too. they are great guys! MCSTEEL should be banned from the creeks with as many fish as he catches!!!! :lol: :lol: he really knows his stuff when it comes to the creeks. I tied him up some flies to try. I've been on the radio with INSTEEL too. its hard to find a better group of guys than that whole crew over there.
Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:15pm - Jan 17,08 
Ok, I seen those reels before but never knew what they were called. Very interesting concept of the reel. Thanks guys for the explanation.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:19pm - Jan 17,08 
if you plan to fish the creeks hard, it should be somthing to consider. I love mine and plan on getting another one. as a matter of fact between the flyrod and pin I doubt I'll use any conventional gear anymore. I'm planning on getting rid of most of it.
Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:20pm - Jan 17,08 
they are still very popular in Europe, I think thats where they originated, they are by far nothing new.
Joe

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:31pm - Jan 17,08 
Great job South Side! Wish I would have known you were going to be out. Was that on trail or Little Cal? What were you using?

As far as pins go, I am intriqued by them, but think that I would only use one for larger rivers. They are much more suited for that. IMHO.

JoeFly, Let me know what equip you want to get rid of as I may have some interest. :wink:

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:28pm - Jan 17,08 
stinkbait420 wrote:
a centerpin reel is the most basic of all reels. Most do not have any drag what-so-ever, so its just you against the fish. It's kind of a cross between a flyreel and a baitcaster, except there is no thumb button or bail or anything. your fingers are the thumb button and the drag is pressure from your hand onto the spool. I had the opourtunity to play with one, and they are SWEET!! I'm just getting into it, as I don't have one yet, but I will.

The significance of the centerpin reel is to be able to pinpoint exactly the right amount of line and speed when you're drift fishing creeks for steelhead and browns. Most people would think that speed of bait and bobber would'nt mean jack, but its the #1 most important thing when steelheading in the creeks. I've witnessed it first hand. One can completely minipulate line direction and speed of bait. It's actually really cool to watch someone who's mastered it, well at least until they catch the steelhead you've been trying to catch for the last 20 drifts. I'm fortunate to have been brought under the wings of INSTEEL and MCSTEEL and they are superb steelheaders. A pin is definately on my list of things to get.

Hey Stinkbait, whats up. Thanks for the kudos man. Cory is actually right. Float reels are designed for larger rivers and I have come to realize that these past couple of years when I go up to the larger rivers in Michigan or Wisconsin. There is nothing wrong with using one in our IN. ditches. I do not use my pins here in IN. because I think it will be more effective, I use them here in IN. because it is so friggin fun!!! One thing I have noticed though when I use my pin in a ditch in IN. is that I do not have to mend my line what so ever and of course with a spinning reel you do. Hey Joe Fly, whats up bro?!

><(((">

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:34pm - Jan 17,08 
Pins are a blast to use anywhere! Its the only way Ill fish for steel now with the exception of a fly set up everynow and again.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:05pm - Jan 17,08 
Quote:
I've been on the radio with INSTEEL

Joe D as your known as!!!

Attention crew: This guy can tie some of the most amazing looking flys out there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:51pm - Jan 17,08 
That was on Trail Creek in that little back or reverse eddy that circulates around that corrugated steel on the south side of 20 by the bridge. I landed him on that sand bar right next to the bridge. Got him on a #6 red octopus hook and waxies with a thill float. Remember that post back in December. I know it was at least a 30 inch male Skamania. Beautiful and fresh not dark at all, at least a 10 minute battle on 6lb.test. Didn't get a hit on shrimp all day. Started out down stream and ended up on 20. Four spots one fish great day for me.

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: