Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:39pm - Dec 26,07 
I should be heading out to the creeks tomorrow. If you should see a guy out there trying to get his line out of a tree say hello. :D

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:47pm - Dec 26,07 
I'll be out in a day or so.
Hope to see you out there at some point.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:02pm - Dec 27,07 
Fished Trail. Downstream looked pretty low and clear. Muddier and lots of smolts upstream. Fished a white size 8 bugger tipped with wax worms under a bobber. They were taking my waxies faster than I could put them on! :roll: Good luck Cory.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:36pm - Dec 27,07 
I love using waxies in the winter but only when the smolts are minimal. I always have spawnsacs with me.

Do you shrimp users also have problems with smolts? I'm sure the answer is yes, just wondering.

JJ

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:58am - Dec 28,07 
Yes JJ, but all they do is tear at it. You don't hook them and they don't steal your bait or crush your eggs. The shrimp allows you to find those big fish holding just outside the smolts.
I have found that typically if I am catching smolts in a spot if I move a foot or so over I won't find the smolts as there is a fish holding there just waiting for an easy meal.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:13am - Dec 28,07 
These smolts were holding under a logjam just downstream of a heavy riffle.

Quote:
I have found that typically if I am catching smolts in a spot if I move a foot or so over I won't find the smolts as there is a fish holding there just waiting for an easy meal.

I'll remember that, I didn't see any big fish all day!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:31pm - Dec 28,07 
Like an old timer told me find the smolts and your probably in a good spot. You may catch 20 smolts but when you rear back on a bid steely after playing around with those little ones it's worth it. Try bigger spawn sacs, someone just suggested spawn sacs as big as tennis balls but I've never tried it, also 26 count whole cocktail shrimp work good and the smolts just peck at them, still can't beat waxies this time of year. :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:31pm - Dec 28,07 
If i ever run out of spawn i may have to try shrimp. I don't see that happening anytime soon :D . The snow started coming down at 8:30 am this morning on the south side. Got wetter as the day progressed. Precip was minimal, Trail is on the way up but only a few inches and i don't anticipate it going up much more. LC gauge is inop but probably the same as trail. Looks like the precip is done but you never know. My saturday plans are on hold right now but probably will head out.
Cory,
Make it out this morning?

JJ

"I have found that typically if I am catching smolts in a spot if I move a foot or so over I won't find the smolts as there is a fish holding there just waiting for an easy meal".
I totally agree. If i find alot of smolts in the topside of a hole but none or a few bottomside thats where i'll be doing most of my drifting.

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: