Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:01pm - Dec 19,07 
Met up with Stinkbait at the baitshop at 6am and got some waxies and off we went to an upper section of the little cal. The water had a good clarity to it and good flow, but the fish are really scattered. Mike had one good hit below some rapids and I had a few misses on fish that could have been smolts, but never felt the fish. They were taking it down and popping the float right back up and then gone!
We picked up and headed down to a lower section of the creek and met up with Born2fish. He hadn't had any luck and I left him an Mike near the damn as I headed downstream a ways. Saw one fish, but other than that just smolts and a long walk. When I got back to Mike he had landed to chromers on spawn sacs, but he had to work for them as persistance for him paid off. We ended the day at a mid-creek area that yeilded nothing but smolts.
It was a beautiful day and it was nice to get out and do some fishing. Thanks for coming along Mike!
The fish are pretty spread out in the system so you have to do some work to find them. The snow will help the creeks as it gives a slow melt off it should bring more and more fish into the creeks.
I didn't hit trail today, but next time I will get over there.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:06pm - Dec 19,07 
HEWY CORY WHAT IS A SMOLT?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:06pm - Dec 19,07 
If Mike got his 2 on the upper area, maybe there are more fish upstream than I would have thought. With the rain/snow we had this weekend, I would have thought more fish would be further downstream (just in).

Sounds like a good effort, if it weren't for slow days, the great ones just wouldn't have the same intensity.

You still had a better day than any of us stuck at work!

I think I'm still going to start downstream Friday @ Trail, hit a few spots I saw last time I was out there. If that proves futile, I'll head WAYYY upstream, and work my way down.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:27pm - Dec 19,07 
Illinois,
A smolt is a juvinile steelhead. Usually between the 5 and 8" range. I will have to try and find it, but Razzo put up a really good post with pictures about the stages.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:29pm - Dec 19,07 
Here it is:

http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/vie ... ight=smolt

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:43pm - Dec 19,07 
Cory,

It was great to finally get out there and fish with ya. Some dayz it beez like that! They seemed to be very tight to the jams today.(lost a couple slippers). Persistance paid. Make sure you guys thoroughly float your area's. It took 45 minutes to piss these two fish off, but I knew they we're in there.Definately hit those "fishy" spots extra hard. Both fish caught on bags, Char and pink. The water looks great right now and should be pretty stable in all areas, so get out there and catch some steel boys and girls! thanks again for the invite Cory. Send me a PM anytime bro...

sorry about the pics guys. It's cold out there tryin' to press buttons in the snow...

Fish released for other's to enjoy.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:28pm - Dec 20,07 
Well, the third time ever at the creek was a charm. Even tho, i didn't catch anything other than a few of them smolts, i didn't get injured like i did when i went with a certain guy ( Mike F.) (ahem). I did fall in the mud when my wader boots got stuck in the mud. I want to thank Cory and Stinkbait for answering a few questions i threw their way.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:50pm - Dec 20,07 
Quote:
Even tho, i didn't catch anything other than a few of them smolts, i didn't get injured like i did when i went with a certain guy

Give it time Jim.
I am sure something else will break or need to be removed in the next few days. :rotflmao

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:00pm - Dec 20,07 
Quote:
I want to thank Cory and Stinkbait for answering a few questions i threw their way.

It was nice talkin' to ya. I'm always willing to answer any questions you might have, but by far, I'm no expert. I only fish for chromer's when I can't get out for muskie's...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:31pm - Dec 20,07 
Mike, If you don't put the "mojo" on me, i'll be alright

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: