Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:51pm - Dec 13,07 
With an encouraging weather forecast, I made way to Trail this morning for some steelies. The only other time I've been there was the summer run, first week of July and had a really good time over two trips.
http://www.chitownangler.com/1fish/viewtopic.php?t=26337&highlight=&sid=db98094c1494486d0bcb5584137b1be2

I went downstream first, near 20, but the water was WAY higher than the last time I was there and was very stained. No luck at all.

Gave it a try farther upstream and finally hooked-up at about 1:30pm drifting cooked shrimp in the same hole as my Dad is pictured in, in the above action shot/steelie fighting link.

My fish had gorgeous rainbow trout coloration, completely different from the chrome guys we got in the summer. I was... disappointed in the fight. I actually thought I bumped the bottom and when I went to correct the drift, realized I had a fish on (literally at my feet). She rolled a couple of times, but that was about it.

The guys last summer seemed to be rocket propelled and *really* strong (of equal size to this fish, 27" x 6lbs). I was afraid one of the 12 pounders was going to climb out of the water and beat me with my own fishing rod! I figured in the cold, it might be suicidal for a fish to jump like they did in the summer (frozen gills?). A guy today told me that the steelies that run in the summer are a different breed from the winter, is that true? They obviously look different. Are they the same species set on a different clock?

Also, apparently, they eat really well as sushi too. My fiance loves filleting my fish (don't ask... I certainly don't). After filleting them, blood and goo everywhere, her hands included, she trims meat off the body where her filleting missed meat and pops it in her mouth. :shock: She absolutely loves it. Not for everyone I guess, I broiled mine!

Dressed appropriately, it was a pleasant 30F or so and uncrowded. Any way you cut it, it was a great day to be out!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:49am - Dec 14,07 
Quote:
The guys last summer seemed to be rocket propelled and *really* strong (of equal size to this fish, 27" x 6lbs). I was afraid one of the 12 pounders was going to climb out of the water and beat me with my own fishing rod! I figured in the cold, it might be suicidal for a fish to jump like they did in the summer (frozen gills?). A guy today told me that the steelies that run in the summer are a different breed from the winter, is that true? They obviously look different. Are they the same species set on a different clock?

hulburt

The summer run steelhed are called Skamanias.
Thye are a blast in the creeks and out in the lake.

Enjoy

http://www.indianagameandfish.com/fishing/in_aa071704a/

http://www.indianagameandfish.com/fishing/in_aa071803a/

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/skamie.html

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11am - Dec 14,07 
Very nice fish, I thinking that I'll have to hit this trail soon.

Kyle

"If you ain't fishin you ain't living"

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:36pm - Dec 14,07 
Different gene pools, Summer run Skamania are different than the winter run Manistee strain from Michigan, didnt fight too well cause it looks like its been in the creeks for some time. Still a very nice fish tho! Good job!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:16am - Dec 16,07 
nice fish ! were is this place at ? im in chicago . wat bait you used to catch it

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:38pm - Dec 16,07 
Rogerspark... check your PM

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:27pm - Jan 12,08 
Where is this place at I've been looking for a stream where i could hook into some salmon

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:36pm - Jan 13,08 
This is one of the best and most descriptive postings I've seen:

http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/viewtopic.php?t=16308&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=trail+creek+michigan+city&start=15

Look at yahoo maps, cross reference that with the Indiana DNR's site and experiment!

Best of luck and post your results!

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: