Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:02pm - Apr 5,07 
I dropped in on the Bodine State Fish Hatchery yesterday. This facility is responsible for the Skamania steelhead stocking program in the St. Joseph River and they also stock Coho salmon in Trail Creek. Dave Meuninck (property manager) was kind enough to give me an unscheduled tour of the facility and let me take some pictures to share with you all. As a Skamaniac, I enjoyed the tour and was fascinated with the whole process from collection, fertilization, the hatchery (incubation & nursery areas), the circular ponds outside and the eventual release of these wonderful salmonids in the St. Joe for the smoltification process. It was a treat.

For anyone who is interested in more information, attached is a link to a recent article in a local publication. You can also contact the hatchery at the contact info below. There is a self guided tour and scheduled tours of the entire facility can be arranged for larger groups.

Richard Clay Bodine State Fish Hatchery
13200 Jefferson Blvd.
Mishawaka, IN 46545-7532
(574) 255-4199

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070326/INMICHIANA/70326014/-1/inmichiana

I just wanted to say a special thank you to Bob Bell, Dave Meuninck and the rest of the staff at Bodine for all the work that you do and the great fishery we have been blessed with a result. I have meet Bob once before and can see the passion that these guys have for their jobs. We all benefit – thank you. I plan on sharing this post with the hatchery folks, I am sure many of you appreciate their work just as I do, please let them know.

Nursery Tanks - One Strip (green incubator in backround left/center)

Nursery Tanks - Some Babies

Circular Ponds loaded with smolts ready to be planted in April

Circular Ponds Close Up - notice netting to keep the herons out

Transporation for the Precious Cargo

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:49pm - Apr 5,07 
Thanks for sharing your visit with the rest of us!

SS

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:27pm - Apr 5,07 
Razzo,
These places and people that work in them have always amazed me.
From eggs to smolts, they are the coolest creature on earth. Fish have always astonished me.

Did you get a chance to drop a couple of hookless silver flatfish in the tanks to keep the little tikes company. :twisted:

I was on the Joe a few years back over in Michigan and witnessed a full cargo truckload of Coho being stocked. It was an awesome site to see.

Thanks for sharing.

Bob

US Army Retired
Disabled Veteran

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:16am - Apr 8,07 
Michigander wrote:
Did you get a chance to drop a couple of hookless silver flatfish in the tanks to keep the little tikes company. :twisted:

Nope, but great idea - classical conditioning, I like it :mrgreen:

I enjoy fishery science. I offered my services as a volunteer when they need help. It would be a hoot to help them collect the broodstock (the big boys and girls in July) at the fish ladder. BTW: if anyone is interested, I am gonna arrange a tour group for early July when the have the big fish at the conplex. Gonna bring my son. If interested, let me know and I'll give you a PM with dates & details as the time gets closer.

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: