Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:55pm - Feb 21,19 
Never eaten walleye before but many say it's the best tasting freshwater fish. So I bought some from Costco ($10/lb), dipped them in egg mixture, tossed them in a zipblock bag full of flour, cornmeal, garlic powder and salt. I then deep fried them 'til it's golden crispy brown. Looking mighty delicious! Splashed some lemon on it and took a bite, what a disappointment!

Fish had absolutely no flavor other than the saltiness from the batter. It was barely edible after pouring some teriyaki sauce over it.

Is it because they weren't freshly caught? Still, I thought everything tastes good when deep fried, even cauliflower! :lol:

I still stand by whitefish being the most tasty freshwater fish.

Last edited by babyduke on 10:47am - Feb 22,19, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:13pm - Feb 21,19 
Fresh walleye is so much better than anything you could ever pick up in a store or restaurant (unless fresh caught and brought to the restaurant).

Walleye and Crappie are two of the best.

Were the fillets you bought farm raised?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:37pm - Feb 21,19 
I've never had a bad batch of Walleye even after frozen. I have a feeling you just got a bad batch from Costco.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:52pm - Feb 21,19 
I believe the label said wild caught. I've yet to try crappie.

I did hear from another person that he found it to be on the bland side. Good tasting fish usually has a bit of sweet taste, at least that's how I like it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:09pm - Feb 21,19 
I have never seen farm raised walleye for sale, most if not all of the store varieties are from Canada. They are experimenting with farm raised but the results would probably be dismal for true clean walleye taste. Farm raising controls the water temp and alters the protein to lower the cost and shorten the harvest time. Walleye are mostly a cold water fish and actually grow in the wild at a very fast rate compared to most other game fish. BTW, I also got some Costco walleye fresh @ $9.99 lbs. and gave them an A+ for being store bought. The fillets were skin on but scaled, had great color and absolutely 0 fish smell. My bet is you got some that were sitting around too long.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:56pm - Feb 21,19 
Probably Canadian sourced walleye.

Read that more than 90+% of their commercial catch is exported because their food mercury content laws are twice as restrictive as ours.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:24am - Feb 22,19 
The fresher the better. We try to eat up fish from our vaca in the first 3 or 4 months. Because I think it looses flavor over time. Walleye are a light flavored fish and are the first to get used. Smaller fish taste better to me also. I think Pike freeze the best and hold there flavor better :dontknow

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:25pm - Feb 22,19 
Did the packaging say where it was from? I remember looking at the frozen fish once, when we still had Cub Foods around, and a package said walleye - from Netherlands. I guessed it was likely zander,.. Closely related, I think somewhat bigger, maybe a blander taste?

Chitown-Angler

Location: Montlake Boulevard at Pacific Avenue NE, Seattle, WA 98195

Post Posted: 04:12pm - Feb 22,19 
Shop and Save Market On Milwaukee ave and Devon ave, has fresh wild caught Walleye laying on the ice for I believe 4.99 a lb. You can ask them what day they get a fresh batch in. or if the eyes don't look cloudy you should be fine. I purchased some from time to time and they are awesome. They will fillet for you but my bro does it for me. Make sure not to leave the cheek meat go to waste. I personally like seeing the whole fish untouched. they are like 2lb fish. Give it a try and im sure you wont be disappointed.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:10pm - Feb 22,19 
If your ever out south try Decola's Seafood on western ave. in Chicago. They cook it for you right there. I bring stuff with me and have picnic in the car. Been doing this for years!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:38pm - Mar 10,19 
Hagens at Montrose and Central has great fresh Walley. Expensive though. FYI, you never had a walleye prepared by myself!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:53am - Mar 11,19 
During Lent Culver's has Walleye fillets. I know not the same thing as frying it up yourself, but I have been told their walleye is actually pretty good. I've yet to try it myself.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:03pm - Mar 11,19 
The culver walleye was good. I haven't had it in a few years so I'm not sure if it's still as good as last time I had it. I'll probably have to go get one now.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:02am - Mar 12,19 
Just had a Culvers Walleye sandwich.
Was just OK.
If you want good Walleye - I'd make it at home. Meijer often has Walleye fillets in their fish section.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:30pm - Mar 12,19 
Bought some whitefish fillets from Mariano's yesterday. Put some salt(garlic) & pepper and pan fried them in olive oil, topped with butter. BLAND! Fish had zero flavor much like the walleye that I tried recently!!! Last year when I ate whitefish for the first time, it was the one of the best tasting fish ever. What is going on? My wife agreed with me so it can't be my taste buds. Are these stores selling old fish? They smelled and looked fresh.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:21pm - Mar 14,19 
All white fleshed should be firm, flakey and mild...I'm not sure what taste you are seeking but they shouldn't taste anything like a fish that is swimming. I use most of the spices, butter and citrus that you use to enhance and mesh with the fish flavor. My best guess is you are over cooking them to the point that they are dry, if so they would be bland.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:43am - Mar 18,19 
Nitebite wrote:
All white fleshed should be firm, flakey and mild...I'm not sure what taste you are seeking but they shouldn't taste anything like a fish that is swimming. I use most of the spices, butter and citrus that you use to enhance and mesh with the fish flavor. My best guess is you are over cooking them to the point that they are dry, if so they would be bland.

As I'm inexperienced in eating freshwater fish plus with a chance that I'm over cooking them, you may be correct. However, I bought some orange roughy from Jewel this weekend. So delish I went back to buy some more. It was frozen too and I do like to cook the fish well done but it still retained the great flavor. Perhaps I should stick with fish from the sea from now on.

Board index » Species Specific » Walleye ~ Sauger
Jump to: