Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:05pm - Jan 3,11 
I am new to lindy riging and was wondering if you could use a roach or a gulp alive leech for them. I looked up lindy rig's on youtube and found that they were saying to use live leeches and nightcrawlers. All I'm really wondering is if thats all I'm limited to live leeches and nightcrawlers. Thank you

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:23pm - Jan 3,11 
You can definitely use minnows or Gulp alive leeches.
My rule of thumb, water below 50 degrees use minnows, water above 55 degrees use crawlers and leeches. 50-55 I try both and figure out which they prefer.

Profile WWW  

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 02:39pm - Jan 3,11 
Ditto to what esox has said. Mabey it`s just me but I have not been able to put a fish in the boat with gulp leeches. I have tried them alot at Heid. But when live leaches smoked them and could not get bit on gulp. Seemed they would peck at them but not commit. Like I said, mabey it`s just me, but I know I wont be buying anymore of them.

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:38pm - Jan 3,11 
John, I have had luck with the Gulp Leeches in 9-12ft of water on the edge of a hole pulling them through thick weeds with a round jig head. Esox thanks I'm icthin for open water and there's still 6 inches of ice :( . But let me wish.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 09:10am - Jan 4,11 
I agree with all of the above. I will add that one of they main selling points of the Lindy Rig is that it let's live bait do it's thing. Therefore, I would stick to live crawler/leech/minnow, pulled ever so slowly along known structure. If ou wanted to use something like a Gulp leach, I would probably toss it on a jig, or pull it on a spinner harness.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:43am - Jan 4,11 
If you are able to run two rigs then I would run one with a confidence bait and one with an experimental bait - such as a gulp leech. Keep the setups as similair as possible and the fish will tell you what bait they like.

I've had gulp work on one body of water, and not produce at all on another - so local diet and forage base probably plays a part.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:19pm - Jan 4,11 
I found that if they are really eating it ,, gulp work ok,, It seems if they are short striking it and you have to feed line,,and give em time they will spit out the gulp,, I think they figure it isnt real if they have time to take a couple of bites.. Dont forget crawlers,,, work better than leeches sometimes

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 06:39am - Jan 5,11 
I was pulling them on harnesses looking for more of a reaction bite with them. As soon as I went back to the real thing, popped fish. Gave them a galent try on both heid and the Miss. Like I said, mabe its just me but I have no confidence with them.

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:38pm - Jan 7,11 
Yep,I would stick to the live bait.Try the gulp on a bottom bouncer for a faster presention.Reaction bite.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:18am - Feb 17,11 
Nothing like the real thing !!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:21am - Feb 17,11 
Do do you troll the lindy rigs or do you just drift with them? Can you use them from shore in someway??

I have never used them before in my life.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:46pm - Feb 17,11 
You can troll slow or drift.Slow is key drifting may require a drift sock..05 a good speed to start.
They can be casted from shore.Work them in slowly,stop occasionaly let slack in line retrieve slow again.
The slack will keep fish from feeling weight,many strikes come then.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:13pm - Mar 15,11 
Thanks guys for all the information. Im trolling with them and I am in a kayak so this is my first attempt ever lets see what happens

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:18pm - Mar 22,11 
One of the earliest Lindy rig tips is: while trolling keep you bail open and hold the line between your fingers. You will need to keep your weight in contact with the bottom. Just ticking along will be good. Speed and depth will give you the feel for how large a weight to use. Try to keep your weight on the bottom near the boat. Use a long leader to present your bait. Over the years, I have used minnows, crawlers and leaches with success. Some folks will use a floating jig head or a Lindy leader that comes with a small float right on it. This will keep the bait a bit above the bottom.
When you feel a bite or weight let the line go. That way the weight will lay on the bottom while line plays out throught it. It gives the fish time to turn and swallow the bait. The fish will not feel the weight. After a bit, close the bail and reel up the slack. If you feel weight or movement, cross their "EYES"
You are gonna love this once you get into some "Eyes". Oh, don't be surprised if you pull up any number of other species as well.

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:26pm - Mar 22,11 
man do we have lindey rigs covered here! i agree with everything, if they want sh*t on the end of the hook that day give it to them. i have had equal success with live and artificial baits as well
dd

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:24pm - Apr 12,11 
Thanks guys for all your help. I think that I am going out this Sunday 4-7 on a lake near my house, this could be intresting.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:49pm - Jul 25,11 
Lindy Rigs are a very effective and simple way to catch fish. They can be fished throughout the entire open water season, and always produce. When the water is bellow 50 degrees use some type of minnow. Around 55 or higher use either leeches or crawlers. Leeches are more durable and easier to fish, you don't have to feed walleyes a leech, usually. Personally, I haven't used gulp leeches or crawlers, but I would imagine they work just as well as live bait. The gulp minnows seem to work best early spring compared to live bait, or when working something fast trying to get a reaction strike.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:06am - Dec 9,11 
Thanks everyone that commented it helped me alot this year and I will be using the rig next year.

Board index » Species Specific » Walleye ~ Sauger
Jump to: