Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:49am - Mar 29,18 
Good Morning Fellow CTAs,

The Popper was able to get off of work early yesterday with just enough time to fish for a few hours with Musky Baits. The boat was launched and lures were flying by 3:30. As the pair were working small profile baits through the channel out to the main lake, Musky Baits got slammed on an articulated tube fly. Unfortunately the fish was lost on the hook set. Musky Baits kept throwing the fly, and the Popper switched to a smaller crank bait. At the onset of the minor, the pair missed a few taps on their baits. Attributing those to bumping into shad or carp, the pair moved spots. About 15 minutes into the minor, they pushed up into extremely shallow water and started throwing smaller profile baits. Within five casts of switching lures, Musky Baits hooked into his personal best musky at 45.5". With spirits high, they kept on casting. Experience has shown them that if they catch one fish, they are likely to catch another one. Another hour of adrenaline-fueled casting did not discourage their efforts; each of the occasional bumps on their baits was met with anticipation. At the end of their drift, the two decided to head back to a spot adjacent to where Musky Baits caught his fish. The sun decided to peek its head out from behind the clouds as the Popper made a lure swap to something that could be retrieved at a slower pace. First cast with the new bait, and the Popper hooked in to a 35.5" fatty. With the boat rocking from total excitement, the Popper and Musky Baits slid in to the spot where the first fish was boated, and kept casting. The Popper hooked in to another fat fish, measuring 30", as he was about to turn in to the figure 8. After a quick picture, he took a minute to compose himself, and caught a 34" on his second cast. The Popper ended up boating 3 muskies in 20 minutes; it was unreal. The pair kept casting for another 15 minutes as the sun tucked itself behind the clouds again. At that point the sun was about to start dropping fast, and the pair decided to head in before the temperature dropped too. The boat was back on the trailer and on the road by 7.

Fish#1:
Fish#2
Fish#3
Fish#4

Pannie Popper

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:12am - Mar 29,18 
Looks like the muskie has become "the fish of 100 casts "on your boat. :winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:43am - Mar 29,18 
Nice fish Congrats!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:56am - Mar 29,18 
What a day, well done, Tyler!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:36pm - Mar 29,18 
wow great job!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:30pm - Mar 29,18 
That is one productive afternoon! Great job and attention to detail on the moon phase.

Go Big Red!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:34pm - Mar 29,18 
Who needs to wake up early!!!!!

Way to get it done.

Beautiful fish.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:17am - Mar 30,18 
Thanks Guys. The key was SLOW retrieval; surface temps were only between 40-45 degrees. When I switched baits to the successful one, I was able to reduce my retrieval by over a second per handle turn (successful rate was about 2.9sec per turn @ 27ipt = bait running 9"/sec). When the fish hit it felt like you hooked in to a log, keep the pressure on for a second and then a really heavy slow headshake confirmed a fish was on. The 30" was the only one that was aggressively shaking, my other two just dogged slowly and felt really heavy. The 45.5" tried to get under the boat, and had my buddy's Fast Action rod bent nearly parabolic; that one tried making a couple runs, but was still pretty lethargic comparative to an early June fish out of the same water.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:55am - Mar 31,18 
Those are beautiful fish! Each fish sports a different camo pattern. Nice job PP and MB! I've never heard of anyone catching that many muskies in such a short period of time.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:07am - Apr 2,18 
Thanks Monty; we had quite a few things fall into place for us. Ended the week with 6 muskies in a little over 6 hours of fishing.

Board index » Species Specific » Musky
Jump to: