Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:13pm - Sep 29,17 
I went up to Sunset Lodge on LOTW the week of labor day. This was my first time and my fishing partner's first time in the northwest angle. We got out sunday afternoon and raised 10 fish and thought this was going to be easy! The weather forecast showed a chance of rain and windy weather for Monday and windy the rest of the week. Right before a big storm hit on Monday, I got a musky around 40". I turned around to see black coming to us over the island from the north. No beaches so we suck into some reeds and waited it out. Got hailed on twice. After that it got really windy, 31mph sustained with gusts. We were able to fish but I knew going back there were going to be some trouble spots. we left about an hour early, I did not want to make a rough 10 mile run in the dark. I tried a shorter route back and was thwarted by the waves and the wind bringing it all into my face and the boat. Tried another route, same problem. Went back into the area I was in thinking we may have to spend the night soaked in mid 40 degree temps. Rain gear was not help it was like someone taking a bucket of water and throwing it in your face every 3 seconds. It ran down your face and under our rain suites. I took a very long way back but still had to endure about 3 miles of nasty waves and water coming in. That was no fun. Tuesday was really slow because of the cold front but wendesday everything came together. Full moon under foot during the day, wind not bad, seen 19 fish, 15 tried to eat, 11 hooked caught 6 musky and 5 pike over 30. The rest of the week was cold front, seen a couple fish, Thursday we lost two and that was about it. Seen some great sunsets, caught two limits of walleye in short amount of time. No big fish, the biggest was 44 and nothing much bigger followed. Great lodge and there are places to fish in every direction. You just have to look for clean water as there is a lot of algae in this lake.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:29pm - Sep 29,17 
Good trip !!!!
Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:25pm - Sep 29,17 
Thats a lot of teeth. :allah

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:29am - Sep 30,17 
Wow! What a trip!! Congrats on all those trophies!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:27am - Oct 1,17 
Great fish and trip. In the late 80's I fished that area for two weeks each summer. Lots of fish to be had in that area, gravel road is a bit tough. Send me a PM if you ever want to compare maps! I got lots of great Intel in this area.

~John

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:15am - Oct 1,17 
Wow, I've been out in similar weather, it's the worst! Bet it felt good to get back to that lodge. I seriously contemplate buying a motor cycle helmet just for those times. Very nice of the walleye to cooperate when the musky took a snooze.

John 21:10

Board index » Species Specific » Musky
Jump to: