Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:02pm - Feb 1,17 
I have a 6" Lazer and it has gotten me by up until now, but I've been thinking about getting a power auger. It would be nice for later in the winter when the ice gets thicker or when I go up to Minnesota. It would also be nice to be able to drill bigger holes when I'm fishing tip-ups. I borrowed my uncle's gas auger once and it spilled all over the back of my vehicle, so I'm not interested in gas. What are people's experiences with the propane augers? They seem like the way to go, but I'm curious to hear people's experiences.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:20pm - Feb 1,17 
Read Here: http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=84220

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:23pm - Feb 1,17 
I love my Jiffy Pro 4 Lite, don't have to worry about mixing or spilling gas all over the place. Don't have to worry about setting the choke just right when it's cold it will start right up first or second pull every single time! The small one pound propane cylinder lasts forever I haven't been able to get a hole count but it's a lot!! As a matter of fact I still have the same bottle on from the beginning of this years ice season! Never had an issue with the cold. I have the Ripper blade on there, same blades from when I got it 3 years ago and they're only like 27 bucks for a brand new pair can't beat that!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:50pm - Feb 1,17 
I bought a chipper lite gas last year which I like but I must admit those propane augers are really quiet compared to mine.Having a lazer you might want to look into an adaptor and hook it up to a drill,I've seen guys at neilsons drill the heck out the ice with them.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:09am - Feb 2,17 
My brother got an Eskimo last year, and we'll never look back. 8" is plenty for inland lakes around here, 10" is nicer for Lake Michigan or where the ice gets thicker. Be warned that a lot of the plastic tipups and the round thermal tipups don't cover the 10" hole very well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:15am - Feb 2,17 
I was also wondering about size, so thanks for including that tiny. You haven't had any problems getting pike or bass in through the 8" hole?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:28am - Feb 2,17 
X2 on TinyFisher!! Love my Eskimo 8" propane. Never a problem and it cuts like butter. The hole is plenty big for any fish to fit through. I would love to have the problem that my fish didn't fit through an 8" hole!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:00am - Feb 2,17 
I bought the Jiffy 44 Pro this year. So far I love it. During real cold Wisconsin weather, I had to hold the throttle to start it, which was no big deal. However, Jiffy says if you keep the propane tank warm, it will start easier. The Jiffy 44 Pro is a new model, some plastic parts were upgraded to metal. I also have a Jiffy Model 30 "gasoline" auger that is 35-years old. That auger still works and starts flawlessly.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:39am - Feb 10,17 
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I went with the Eskimo 8". We took it out last weekend and it is pretty sweet! Hopefully I can get a little more use out of it this winter.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:23am - Feb 10,17 
Pit, one word of advice is to always feed the pull string back to the housing as it's all plastic where the on/off switch is. All it takes is one time you let it fly back into the housing and it will crack and break the plastic housing. Of course I'm saying this because yes it happened to me.

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Gear ~ Gadgets & Electronics
Jump to: