Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:37pm - Jan 3,17 
Anyone ever have issue with these or can provide any feedback? Any comparison to a regular wooden tipup like beaver dam?

I have been considering switching from my wooden tip-ups to the frabil for the sake of storing my tipups easily in buckets as well as insulating the hole for freezing temps. I don't like the flag set mechanism on the frabil as it seems to easily trip as a false flag quite often. Anyone else experience this?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:15pm - Jan 3,17 
They work great and are easier to store. Same mechanics as a Beaver Dam style.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:38pm - Jan 3,17 
I file a notch in the plastic trip mechanism that wire trip flag rests against to prevent false flags. If fishing with fatheads not necessary.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:26pm - Jan 3,17 
I have been using them for years without fail. I do use both styles of tip-ups, but the round insulated ones work much better during extremely cold days. Takes longer for the holes to freeze up.

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:27pm - Jan 3,17 
check out the HT polar extreme big game tip up.
same concept as frabil but has notches built in to the "t".
I Have 4 of them used for many years, the telescopic flag pole is kinda crap had a few break, but easy to chang them.out. stacks great in the buckets. Or as ukie said put a notch in the plastic

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:12am - Jan 4,17 
Never had an issue with false flags on my Frabill tip ups. I only run them on extremely cold days. I prefer to use the Beaverdams.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:20am - Jan 4,17 
I also use both and like the thermal ones because of the hole taking longer to freeze. I made some covers for the others out of a piece foam cut out slightly larger in diameter than the hole and painted them black. Works great.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:40am - Jan 4,17 
I made hole covers out of a yoga mat. works great at keeping the hole ice free as long as possible. I have Frabil Arctic Fire and HT Husky wood tip ups. no issue with either

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:44am - Jan 4,17 
I couldn't agree more as far as storing them and working great especially for cold weather and ukie I think that solves my problem by filing it down. Thank you!

Colddriver, that was another con of the frabil; the flag not being long enough. The telescopic flag pole would work, and the fact that the HT has a notch built in solves all my problems. I'll have to pick up to test out.

husker, Tyler, & wannafish you're making think I should just buy a bunch of them so I have both. haha My only problem is that I keep most my gear in my jeep so I was trying to downsize but this may be the best option.

Thank you all for your input. I can now sleep at night.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:39am - Jan 4,17 
Adam,

On most days, the Beaverdam / stick tip ups will work, I rarely pull out the Frabill circular tip ups. I am all for having a couple of each type. I used to keep all of my ice gear in the vehicle when I had the SUV, and would keep the frabills in a 5-gal bucket on top of my minnow bucket (inside the 5-gal). I'd keep a couple Beaverdams in the 5-gal with the rods. Now, I just keep tip ups inside the apartment until I'm going to use them seeing as I only really use tip ups if that is the plan of attack so-to-speak. I have about a dozen and a half tip ups, but only really use 4 (2 frabills and 2 beaverdams) unless I'm supplying tip ups for the entire party.

2 cons of the Frabills that have not been mentioned... 1)If the hole does freeze, you don't have accessible ice to break to dislodge the tip up. Seems like there's always a Frabill frozen to a hole on Forest every year. If you don't pile snow or ice shavings around the Frabills the hole will freeze, and sometimes the tip up will freeze in place as well. 2)Snowmobilers and 4-wheelers seem to run over or really close to my circular tip ups more frequently that when I'm using the Beaverdams because of the snow/ice shavings that are piled around them to keep the hole from freezing.

I just met a guy who uses a Cabelas brand hard/soft rod case with a divider which makes two sides. He was keeping rods on one side and Beaverdams on the other. He said it has made storing/transporting/organizing a lot easier for him. If I pull the trigger on a rod case it'll likely be an Otter or some other molded hard plastic case, and I'll probably get a soft-sided rod bag to keep the Beaverdams in.

So, yes, I would get a couple of each.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:26pm - Jan 4,17 
Pannie Popper wrote:
Adam,

On most days, the Beaverdam / stick tip ups will work, I rarely pull out the Frabill circular tip ups. I am all for having a couple of each type. I used to keep all of my ice gear in the vehicle when I had the SUV, and would keep the frabills in a 5-gal bucket on top of my minnow bucket (inside the 5-gal). I'd keep a couple Beaverdams in the 5-gal with the rods. Now, I just keep tip ups inside the apartment until I'm going to use them seeing as I only really use tip ups if that is the plan of attack so-to-speak. I have about a dozen and a half tip ups, but only really use 4 (2 frabills and 2 beaverdams) unless I'm supplying tip ups for the entire party.

2 cons of the Frabills that have not been mentioned... 1)If the hole does freeze, you don't have accessible ice to break to dislodge the tip up. Seems like there's always a Frabill frozen to a hole on Forest every year. If you don't pile snow or ice shavings around the Frabills the hole will freeze, and sometimes the tip up will freeze in place as well. 2)Snowmobilers and 4-wheelers seem to run over or really close to my circular tip ups more frequently that when I'm using the Beaverdams because of the snow/ice shavings that are piled around them to keep the hole from freezing.

I just met a guy who uses a Cabelas brand hard/soft rod case with a divider which makes two sides. He was keeping rods on one side and Beaverdams on the other. He said it has made storing/transporting/organizing a lot easier for him. If I pull the trigger on a rod case it'll likely be an Otter or some other molded hard plastic case, and I'll probably get a soft-sided rod bag to keep the Beaverdams in.

So, yes, I would get a couple of each.

Awesome, great points. I think that's my plan of the attack moving forward. I already have 10 tip ups with 8 being beaver dam. I do usually supply the whole party so when there are 3 or more guys we will use them... all depending on the lake and our goal. Definitely store them at home. I'll probably start by picking up 3 more frabil thermals for a total of 4. Thanks brother! Hope to see you out on the chain for the tourney!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:28pm - Jan 4,17 
It always seems as those of us who are more serious fishermen end up suppling the whole group!

What do you guys use to catch smaller fish, do tip ups work for you or do you go to things like the automatic fishermen? Ive caught walleye, pike and jumbo perch on the traditional tip ups.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:36pm - Jan 4,17 
diddly4 wrote:
It always seems as those of us who are more serious fishermen end up suppling the whole group!

What do you guys use to catch smaller fish, do tip ups work for you or do you go to things like the automatic fishermen? Ive caught walleye, pike and jumbo perch on the traditional tip ups.

Haha yup, ice fisherman are few and far between.

90% of the time, I just hole hop with the vexilar for panfish but I've targeted crappie on tipups just using a light 4lb leader with a minnow.

"Tip-Downs" are supposedly the way to go and more efficient if you want to set it and forget it for smaller fish like crappie. I don't have any "Tip-Downs" so i'll use tipups when necessary.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:33pm - Jan 4,17 
Pannie Popper,

You can make tip-up markers easily and for little money with PVC and duct tape. Cut the PVC into 3' sections and wrap with a combination of neon orange duct tape and 3M reflective tape (for night time use). Makes a highly visible sign for vehicles to avoid your tip ups. Also makes it easier to locate them in the dark.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:09pm - Jan 4,17 
I'll use a couple home-made "automatic fisherman" for crappies. I figure they'd be an okay option for walleyes, but I haven't really tested that theory yet. I've used lights, cones, pvc posts, ect; that's just extra stuff I have to bring on the ice.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 11:04am - Jan 5,17 
A couple of observations, as I haven't used these particular traps:

1: I have seen them freeze up more than other brands. I don't know how easy it is to replace the grease.
2. I don't like all the plastic in cold temps
3: I don't think they're as smooth as higher quality BDs (pre-Uncle Josh)
4. I think a metal trip-mechanism is smoother and more adjustable
5. They won't work in a 10 in hole (right bottomdweller!)
6. As mentioned above, they have the possibility to freeze to the ice.

Just some thoughts. I see plenty in use out on the ice so people must be happy with them, I just prefer the board-type myself.

If your concern is storage (of BD types), a milk crate with sections of 3x4 gutter works wonders.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:19am - Jan 5,17 
Beaverdam also makes a circular style tip up if you're looing for something smoother that will cover your hole...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:15pm - Jan 5,17 
Pannie Popper wrote:
Beaverdam also makes a circular style tip up if you're looing for something smoother that will cover your hole...

Awesome, just looked into it, same trip mechanism and extended flag. Also, it looks like the flag is made of cloth instead of plastic which is a plus. I've had nothing but issues with the plastic flags.
http://beaverdamicefishing.com/shop_tip-ups/

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:18pm - Jan 5,17 
tinyfisher wrote:
A couple of observations, as I haven't used these particular traps:

1: I have seen them freeze up more than other brands. I don't know how easy it is to replace the grease.
2. I don't like all the plastic in cold temps
3: I don't think they're as smooth as higher quality BDs (pre-Uncle Josh)
4. I think a metal trip-mechanism is smoother and more adjustable
5. They won't work in a 10 in hole (right bottomdweller!)
6. As mentioned above, they have the possibility to freeze to the ice.

Just some thoughts. I see plenty in use out on the ice so people must be happy with them, I just prefer the board-type myself.

If your concern is storage (of BD types), a milk crate with sections of 3x4 gutter works wonders.

Great input, and thanks for the storage tip.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:12pm - Jan 5,17 
thewatsonator wrote:
Pannie Popper wrote:

Awesome, just looked into it, same trip mechanism and extended flag. Also, it looks like the flag is made of cloth instead of plastic which is a plus. I've had nothing but issues with the plastic flags.
http://beaverdamicefishing.com/shop_tip-ups/

I received one of the plastic round Beaver Dams for Christmas and have used it a couple of times now. The spool and moving parts are extremely smooth. I'm very happy with it!

I like using the insulated tip ups and have several Frabills that I've used for years with no issues. Check your holes every once in a while and you'll be good.

FYI - I picked up a yellow round Frabill from the Plano outlet store earlier this year - $9 and it included a tip up light.

Profile WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Gear ~ Gadgets & Electronics
Jump to: