Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:19pm - Jan 9,16 
just want to start a thread on this subject. we one's do you prefer, eagle claw, frabill, 13 fish.
And why ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:49am - Jan 10,16 
I got a Frabill 241 straight-line Combo -I haven't fished with yet but here's my opinion. The rod is wonderful and I have already replaced he reel with a Shimano. Not a fan at ALL-drag sucks period!!!!!

Support Staff

Post Posted: 11:57am - Jan 10,16 
It doesn’t take long to realize a liking for straight-line reels.
We can’t drop jig n plastics with an absolutely consistent true slow drop from surface to target zone, in deep water off of a spinning reel as we do with straight-line reels and that is where they gain priorities of use.
I like the feel of taking battles with spinning reel use over the feel of the battle with my fingers rolling a wheel on one style straight-line or turning a crank on a differently styled straight-line. That said, the Black Bettys have the feel of a nicely cut and machined instrument. They give a balance to the whole presentation that, in my use, some of the others do not.
I have a couple Frabil 371 reels. They have a smooth drop speed with any size or weight of presentation and my drags are smooth, which is an issue with some of these style reels, even the Black Bettys.
The 371 is a good reel if you get one with a good drag. If not, …
The Black Bettys have a nice feel to them. I have originals and the drag has been redesigned by 13 Fishing 2 times since I took to their use.
Line jump can be an issue with some of these things and that sucks bananas at 5 below while sitting tight to the wind's pushing bucket.
I haven’t had that happen with the 371 but it has others.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:22pm - Jan 10,16 
Any Luc,
Thanks for the detailed info. I'm sure the one I got is first generation. the drag is sticky then free spooling causing the line jump you mentioned. Just sitting around trying to get the feel for it line did get inside the housing and I had to break the line. I have read many good things about the in-line reels but perhaps they are just not for me.
Thanks again for the info perhaps I'll see in the south wilderness unit.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:18pm - Jan 10,16 
I don't own a big selection, but for the ones I've used I like the clam 200 ice spooler 1:1 good for shallow panfishing a pain for deep. but paired up with a cheap light panfish rod its a good reliable combo. my other is the frabill 371 combo with 36" lt quick tip rod, great combo, great all around combo. I've caught everything from tiny gills and perch to 4+lb bass held up well. drawback on frabill or really any in-line is wrapping line into spool shaft, really operator error and easy to fix. haven't had any problems with my 371 free spool is great drops small jigs easily, will backlash easy using heavy lures like jigging raps or pimples if you let it.
all in all I love both

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:40am - Jan 11,16 
The reel question (pun intended) is what are the advantages to the straight lines when compared to spinning reels......
Spinning reels, I feel, are superior in every way except when it comes to line twist and being able to control or feather
the fall.
I use Clam Spoolers when deadsticking or when sight fishing. The Frabils in deeper water and with a bit more weight.
Eagle Claw and Black Bettys I've not used
Straight lines are a big upgrade from the plastic "Schoolie" reels we once used but they are an addition rather
than replacing spinning reels in my sled.The way you fish will decide which reel is better for you.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 08:30pm - Jan 12,16 
Well now with all this talk about straight line reels, I got to thinking it might be time to explore one, for a bit. Got one of the fishing 13 models, and will give it a try this year. Cabela's gift cards were the main reason.

BUT........I have not heard mention of the tiniest of spro swivels set above a jig on the threads we deliver our goods on. Been using that system for some time and viewed on a camera looks good with little to no spinning due to line twist. In fact most times I would like to add a wee hook to the swivel as the gills do find it very interesting and have taken a swipe at it many times. Just thought I would add my 1/2 cent to the conversation so those who do not have an inline might rest assured they will still be mighty successful in their fishing endeavors. I will report back on the results of the new purchase, but honestly don't think it will be great.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:35am - Jan 13,16 
:drink Don't have spec's in front of me now.... But one of the great things the higher end inline reels give you is line pick up rates... 13 has the highest last time I checked... 19 inches per turn... When deep water fishing this helps keep the slab hooked up through hook set to topside photo op

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:23pm - Jan 20,16 
I don't have experience with anything other than the Eagle Claw inline so I won't be able to give you a comparison, but that is partly because it has performed well in the two years I've had it. Smooth drop and better than expected drag which has come into play with the occasional bass or northern that has taken on my usual panfish jigs. I've fished with this reel in shallower lakes, to middle depths at Bangs and deep on Mendota to 45 ft. So far, so good.

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Gear ~ Gadgets & Electronics
Jump to: