Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:05pm - Jan 7,18 
looking to upgrade to a gas auger. whats a decent model that is reliable and won't break the bank?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:12pm - Jan 7,18 
:drink I run an older 4 stroke strike lite from strikmaster... very reliable... but a bit pricey new...one of those things that if you reduce it to crying only once ... do some research and get the best you can out the door and don't look back

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:57pm - Jan 7,18 
well, the more I look then I start thinking propane....may wait till end of season for some sales. Looking at the eskimo HC40 propane $399 or the gas Eskimo Stingray $259 or Mako $289...

is propane worth the extra cash??

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:49am - Jan 8,18 
:drink have experiences with the Jiffy.. and they are awesome... just a touch heavier than my 4- stroke... they spin a little quicker making for wet shins and boots while on the hunt ... but on the plus side you don't have many ice chips left to skim in each hole :doh :bigyuck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:45am - Jan 8,18 
I was in similar situation as you last season trying to decide on power auger, I went with Jiffy 44 pro propane and I must say one of my best investments I made for ice fishing. No gas smell in the car, one propane tank lasts a long time, starts right up (zero issues in this arctic blast weather and I've kept it outside the shanty) and going very strong. Good luck in your search.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:30am - Jan 8,18 
I have the eskimo and will say its a good auger. I have had it 5 seasons and hasnt failed me yet. It is HEAVY in my opinion. It has to be the heaviest on the market. Ive used my friends jiffys and strikemasters and they are much lighter. If you like drilling a bunch of holes (i mean who doesnt?), then this is something you may want to consider.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:04pm - Jan 8,18 
eskimo stingray is about 250.00 mine runs great, first pull even in that cold last week.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:41pm - Jan 10,18 
I purchased a Jiffy Stealth STX the season before propane was introduced into market so at the time I was thinking I had the best auger on the market. Jiffy Stealth STX has 2hp and 3 cutting blades (does not go through ice faster than any other sharp blade). I will say at the time I was partial to Jiffy as my Dad has a 30+ year old Jiffy that still starts second pull guaranteed and drills immediately. New gas augers require warm up time before use which is not deal breaker but when they don’t start up immediately becomes extremely annoying. I’m throughly disappointed with my auger after using my buddies propane and electric augers.

If I were in market for new auger I would go electric without hesitation. If electric isn’t your choice go propane and last case scenario gasoline. I would not recommend gasoline to anyone unless your buying used getting smoking deal on good unit.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:07am - Jan 11,18 
Has anyone seen or have any experience using a nice lithium battery powered drill 20V and up with thick Ice? how does it hold up? I currently use a old Craftsman drill with a 6" auger. fine for lakes around here but in MN and thick ice I only get about 8-10 holes out of it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:18pm - Jan 15,18 
i have a milwaukee fuel 18 v with 5ah batteries. i turn a 7" mora and have had no issues with it in ice up to 18". i also use a 5" lazer and i really like how that cuts when i'm not expecting toothy critters.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:27pm - Jan 15,18 
I have the drill set up. Just bought 2 new batteries on sale from farm and fleet. They are the largest made. Cut through the ice like nothing. Would not buy anything else.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 12:51pm - Jan 16,18 
Quite often the biggest issue a small engine has is bad fuel. One of the best things you can do for any small engine that is not used very often is rather then using normal pump gas is to use the manufactured fuel from hardware stores. Its lasts years unlike pump gas which in a small engine can go bad in a month. Its not cheap but you don't use much.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:56pm - Jan 17,18 
Get the clam drill plate. Use 18 volt drill with lazer auger bit. Absolutley love it. Weighs 11 pounds. Beats the 30 something of my jiffy.

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Gear ~ Gadgets & Electronics
Jump to: