Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:01am - Apr 11,18 
Called Cajuns, he said water temps were 43-44, water clarity was good and so were water levels, also said fish are currently spawning/have spawned. He said guys were getting them by the bridges in Utica and also at the flats and clam beds. Looks like water levels are in the 14-15 range. That being said where would you all start at tomorrow if you were going out? Winds are supposed to die down after 12 pm so we were gonna go then and fish till maybe 6 ish. :thanks I will give a report after we get back

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:57am - Apr 11,18 
Thats the million dollar question.

All spot should be good. Plus more spots in between that are easy and quick to check.

I never have as good luck in the afternoon as I do in the morning.

My plan would be: launch at spring valley

Start early and haul down to clam beds. Make pass or two trolling cranks. I have caught fish there this year I believe everytime I fished it. If you get some, stay and work them.

If clam beds don’t produce hit a couple small spots heading upstream on the way to the flats. Make a pass or two at the flats. Both sides of river. Maybe continue your pass up to the gas docks. I’ve had good luck upstream of the flats this time of the year then moving back on the flats after the spawn in a week or so

Or last resort make the trip to Utica. Should be plenty of males

If launching at starved rock, stay in Utica and move down stream if bite is not happening.

That would be my plan if I was going.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:25am - Apr 11,18 
Thanks for the input Mike! Ideally I would like to fish in AM as well, but they are calling for gusts up to 35 mph until after 1 pm so I would rather not fish in that. I like the idea of fishing at the clam beds especially with the water dropping. Not necessarily set up for pulling cranks just yet (still working on those set ups) But I am set up for 3 ways with cranks so I think we will try doing that first. We love jigging so if we get on a couple of fish then we might try doing that as well. Love catching fish on a jig bite, but hard to pass up the ability to cover ground like 3 way rigging and trolling cranks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:33am - Apr 11,18 
Sounds like a good plan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:22pm - Apr 11,18 
I'm going tomorrow in the AM starting at starved rock and working my way down.If the sun is high and bright I'll start looking for stripers around 11:00.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:34pm - Apr 11,18 
I just looked at the weather. I hate to say it but I’d stay up river and take advantage of whatever protection from the wind you can get. I fished in that wind a couple weeks ago and it was not fun!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:02pm - Apr 13,18 
How did you do? Mike gave you pretty much the plan I would go with. The only thing I would add is don't fish dirty water and keep moving till you find clean water, it's somehwere.

Board index » Rivers » Illinois
Jump to: