Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:46am - Mar 29,17 
I never fished the Il river for Walleye
I always heard of the clam beds
Are they east or west of Barto Boat Landing ?
Is there a fee to launch the boat?
I'm thinking about going to Tuesday next week
Thanks for reading

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:59am - Mar 29,17 
Upriver will take you to the Peru flats. Downriver will take you to the clam beds. So to answer your question, the clam beds are west(to the right when coming out of the launch). Just past Clark Island should be the start of them. Either of those areas could be holding fish right now. I'd try fishing in the 10-16 FOW range right now, if it were me going out. Zig zag back and forth on that line until you get bit. I haven't been out there in a couple weeks, so maybe someone with more recent info. can assist a little better. My last time out a couple weeks ago I did ok on a tough bite day, pulling floaters and pulling cranks. Others were jigging with about the same results. But cold weather had pushed the fish deep again, then. You should be able to find them shallower than we did two weeks ago. You can try at least two of those at a time. Pull bait/floaters up river, and then slip back downriver vertical jigging Or the same but pull cranks upriver instead of floaters. See if either of those work. I like pulling bait/floater/spinner/blade rigs, personally. But they catch em every which way on the Illinois. Even pitching up into the timber/shallower water at times. The clam beds are hard to miss. When you're jigging or pulling bottom bouncers or anything, if you're not feeling them, you're not on them. Very easy to figure out when you're on them. Good luck! I may be out there either Saturday or Sunday. Haven't decided yet. Weather looks perfect, but I have a lot of options on where to get the boat out. Heidecke opener is Saturday, too.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:07pm - Mar 29,17 
What do u mean "pulling" casting? trolling?
When u say floater? floating rapala?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:14pm - Mar 29,17 
Sent you a PM.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:55pm - Mar 29,17 
Last week the peru flats were on fire.It's about a mile upstream,making a left out of Barto.You'll see some barges and loading platforms on the north side and fish up and down there in 14-18 feet.You can jig plastics or pull floaters on three ways depending on how you like to fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:24am - Mar 30,17 
All this rain makes for a bad weekend on the river, IMO. If I were you, I would try something else. I know I'll be sticking with inland lakes, either Heidecke, Lasalle, Braidwood, Shabbona, or my buddy's club lakes this weekend. I would wait to try your hand at the river when the conditions are better. Just my opinion. But it's going to be high and muddy. Just checked the flows on it, and it has already spiked hard. With nothing but rain all day today and part of tomorrow, it's only going to get worse.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:54am - Mar 30,17 
X2 on what pezdek said.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 04:11am - Mar 31,17 
Do not go to the river. It is dangerous now. With it jumping 8-9ft , it's bad

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:14am - Mar 31,17 
John Mannerino wrote:
Do not go to the river. It is dangerous now. With it jumping 8-9ft , it's bad

Yep... has come up between 7-9 feet in areas, and the flows have spiked by about 20,000-30,000 CFS. Definitely not the time to go try the river. Find somewhere else to go for this weekend. Lots of options now that all the lakes are opening/have opened back up for the season.

Profile WWW  

Board index » Rivers » Illinois
Jump to: