Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:03am - Nov 4,10 
SORRY!!!!!!!I CORRECTION------- Disregard the above post and stay on your left, not the right, as you enter these waters. Just hug the north side and your good.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:47am - Nov 4,10 
Thanks a lot for the tip Barnacle, I think me and Brookfield Angler are gonna give it a shot Saturday.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:14pm - Nov 4,10 
Let me know how you guys do. No problem by the way. I like to see people have fun out there. Tell me what time your out there and ill keep an eye out. I usually launch at desplaines but they closed it due to hunting season i believe. I hate paying the launch fees at big basin but i need to fish. Brookfield angler knows the spot. have fun and be safe. Lots of barge traffic lately. And those guys, ha, wont stop.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:06pm - Nov 7,10 
We did great, thanks a million Barnacle! The gar were swarming all over the place, it was very exciting to see the fish we were after all around us.

We caught 14, seven apiece. BrookfieldAngler hooked one on a Sims Spinner and the rest came on various rope lures. Mostly spinnerbaits with the skirt removed and rope added. Also a buzzbait with rope, a Rapala Jointed minnow with rope, and a Sims Spinner with rope.

Some of the fish jumped 2 or 3 feet out of the water! Wow.

That hotspot was pretty far from the boat launch though and on the way back we ran out of gas. And then the trolling motor died! We were up $h*! creek, but we did have paddles.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:14pm - Nov 7,10 
Wow, some great looking fish. Its nice ot see a variety of other fish rather
than the usual Mid-West species. Coool!

:allah

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:08pm - Nov 7,10 
If anyone else ever decides to go out and catch these, I HIGHLY recommend gloves. Not because of the teeth though....because of the slime! These have got to be the slimiest fish I have ever caught.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:27pm - Nov 7,10 
Back in September my daughter and I caught a few of them just upriver from the Morris boat ramp in the backwaters. Caught them on crappie tackle with minnows, 2 foot under a float. They were all over swimming near the surface. Didn't catch any crappie that day.
One of them fell in the boat and crapped on the floor, those suckers can excrete one nasty smelling turd. had to wash the boat with soap and water to get rid of the smell. Last time I let one of them in my boat.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 12:46pm - Nov 8,10 
Nice catch, but you look a little cold Maliboo!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:12pm - Nov 8,10 
Holy mackrel! thats awesome fellas. Something told me that you guys would find them and get into some fun. Thanks for the pics too. Now you have a new spot. Peace!!!!!!!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:21am - Nov 22,10 
I took another guy out to the spot Sunday and we combined for 9 gar and one largemouth. Bumped into BrookfieldAngler and his wife too! She caught one and he made her hold it up for a photo. Yuck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:00am - Nov 22,10 
Maliboo wrote:
I took another guy out to the spot Sunday and we combined for 9 gar and one largemouth. Bumped into BrookfieldAngler and his wife too! She caught one and he made her hold it up for a photo. Yuck!

It was nice bumping in to you guys out there and thanks for the rope! I can't believe I forgot mine.

Here's a pic of the wife's first gar ever and then one of my gar I landed.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:32am - Nov 23,10 
thats good stuff Gals and guys. Someone had to show you dudes how to catch gar! lol, well done mrs. brookfieldangler. Im glad you guys are producing there. i missed ya by a day too. happy thanksgiving, man i wish i could get my wife out there. MUCH :respect

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:10am - Nov 27,10 
Dad and I went down to see if we could catch Gar yesterday. First time ever fishing on the DesPlaines. Mainly a learning experience for both of us. Launched out of Big Basin about 10:00am. Headed up to "the spot". Gar surfacing everywhere. I made some home made rope lures by taking nylon rope and tangling it up on the rear treble hook. Threw a jointed rapala and a wally diver (gold) had plenty of hits, just didn't get any tangled or into the boats.

Switched over to minnows under a bobber, once again plenty of strikes. Didn't get any into the boat. They would come unbuttoned, I figure we weren't getting good hook sets (or any hook sets into the hard bill).

Lessons learned on the river.

1.) 30 mph winds can cause 2ft waves with white caps on a river. Which then causes splashing. Bring Rain Gear! Don't just wear jeans. Otherwise you freeze.
2.) Tug boats must like to screw with small boats. I had two of them switching sides at the last minute about 100 ft in front of my boat while I was cruising up the middle. I made eye contact with both of the pilots and they just smiled, waved, then cut me off. Had to dead stop and reverse to keep them at a safe distance.

A working river is a whole other world. Lions and tigers and barges ohh my.

I do have some questions.
Why are some of the bouy cans red and some green on the river? I figure it marks the channel and it has to do with port and starboard. Anyone know?
Also, anyone know the story of the 3 barges that are sunk on the south side of the river about a mile up from the 55 bridge? Rather odd to see 3 big barges just sitting there half sunk and abandoned.

All and all, glad to be there vs shopping. Good luck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:13am - Nov 28,10 
Sorry to hear you didn't get any to the boat dude. We also noticed it was harder to get them roped this time. Maybe they're more tentative as it gets colder. I had my best hook-up ratio when my rope was totally knotted up and ratty looking. I guess its easier for them to get snagged when its all balled up and then they shake around and get all tangled. I also think they want a smaller profile. 4" of rope did better than 6"

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:23pm - Jan 5,11 
Is big basin the nearest launch to get to the gar fishing? Or is there a closer access site? I have many hours fishing the DPR, but mostly in the Lyons area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:21pm - Jan 5,11 
Joe n Finn wrote:
Is big basin the nearest launch to get to the gar fishing? Or is there a closer access site? I have many hours fishing the DPR, but mostly in the Lyons area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Joe

I believe you can launch above the damn that is a little bit near the "spot" but I think you would then have to lock down.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:45pm - Jan 16,11 
nophalias wrote:
Also, anyone know the story of the 3 barges that are sunk on the south side of the river about a mile up from the 55 bridge? Rather odd to see 3 big barges just sitting there half sunk and abandoned.

Gonna bump this thread because I missed it previously, but I would like to know as well. They look like great structure. Nice gar action, all. Maliboo, look me up when the weather breaks and I'll run down that way.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:32am - Mar 8,11 
They are EVERYWHERE lol

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:37pm - Mar 9,11 
Maliboo, which backwaters do you fish? I've been there a few times at the one right off the main access road across from a rundown brick building but it gets full of weeds by mid july and is impossible to fish. I'm after bowfin and gar this summer hopefully.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:28am - Mar 14,11 
sturgeonchaser wrote:
Maliboo, which backwaters do you fish? I've been there a few times at the one right off the main access road across from a rundown brick building but it gets full of weeds by mid july and is impossible to fish. I'm after bowfin and gar this summer hopefully.

The backwaters off Blodgett gave up a number of bowfin for me last July, but yeah there were plenty of weeds. I expect to try earlier in the season this year...

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Rivers » Des Plaines
Jump to: