Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:08pm - Dec 13,16 
Can anyone help me out? I met an awesome hunter last year and went out once with him.. but I really want to get more into hunting but I really have no idea where to start.. I have my license. But zero knowledge (besides how to shoot)... I'm looking for someone wise to show me the ropes. Someone who is willing to take me out and spread their knowledge. I'd love to get a bird for Christmas dinner! Please, help and take a novice out... I will gladly pay for ammo / gas / breakfast / lunch.. whatever it takes! I've tried on other forums but have gotten no responses. Please, send me a message if you can help me out!
Thank you in advance!

- Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:23pm - Dec 13,16 
hey joe! what ya looking to hunt for? you mentioned bird? turkey? phesant? anything that flys lol?
i would love to get ya out but my time is now filled up with my new daughter (9months old today).
I will be phesant hunting soon at desplaines i will keep you in mind and hope we can set something up
jay

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:16pm - Dec 13,16 
Thanks so much for responding! I'd honestly go for anything.. congrats on the baby girl btw! I'd love to join any time you're ready.. I live in Mt Prospect. Thanks!

- Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:35pm - Dec 13,16 
I'm in the same boat as Colddriver, I used to be able to hunt a lot but with a 15 month old and another on the way, I haven't even got out bird hunting this year but I'm mainly a deer hunter now. I do get invited to some private clubs to do some bird hunting in January - March and try to take up offers on that when I get them.

I grew up rabbit hunting and an annual trip mule deer hunting out west or Whitetail hunting in Michigan with a rifle so I did get a head start. Honestly, hunting is really a trial by error. Pheasant/rabbit hunting without a dog is mainly going out and walking and kicking every brush pile, log and clump of grass. It isn't always easy but you learn a lot by trial and error. I've probably hunted the put and take pheasant spots around Chicago 25 times, sometimes with dogs, sometime without. The times without, I just work the brush and woods really hard, hitting everything that stuck out that might hold a bird or rabbit. You learn pretty quick where the birds are at that way. I think in the dozen or so times I didnt hunt with a dog, I always got at least one bird and only got skunked once (Kankakee SP). The good things is at many of these State Parks, there are guys with a dog that only have a two bird permit and they want to get their dog work so they will usually let you hunt with them if you are safe. There were plenty of times we would meet guys in the parking lot of each area and they would ask us to tag along to get their dog more work. Once at Des Plaines we met 5 guys in the parking lot and they asked if we wanted to join and we weren't going to turn that down. In an hour and a half, we all limited out (14 birds) with one dog and they weren't paring lot birds, all were really spread out.

I'd say just pick a place and get a two bird permit and just beat the brush. If you pick a state park, let us know which one, we can probably help with areas and such. If you are in Mt. Prospect, the Chain is probably the closest but it does close soon so you'll have to get on it.

Good Luck and thats what I got for Pheasant. Deer is a whole new ball game, especially on public. I could talked for hours about that. LOL

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:44am - Dec 14,16 
Join a group and get in on a Big Blast at Rooster Heaven Hunt Club.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:52pm - Dec 14,16 
Bulldawg wrote:
Join a group and get in on a Big Blast at Rooster Heaven Hunt Club.

When are they this year? I was looking on their website and it doesn't seem to be updated. I've been saying I need to try one of those for years but seem to always have something going on.

Board index » Game Bag » General Hunting Info
Jump to: