Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:08am - Oct 6,14 
Was curious when you guys hunt during rut if you use any scents and which ones would you guys recommend? I hunted public land last year did not see anything. Was thinking about trying black widow but not sure :thanks

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:50pm - Oct 6,14 
I've always used Tinks. Buy it when you can in the off season, and it is way cheaper. Check out Fleet and Farm for sales. Not only Tinks, but all brands seem lower there. I'd strongly suggest a drag line.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:28am - Oct 7,14 
Now which one in particular have you used? Also does anyone think these will be effective on public land?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:16pm - Oct 7,14 
A combo of Tinks #1 Doe-P and #69 Doe-In-Rut are now on sale at Bass Pro Shops for $9.97. Normal price would be $18 for both.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:08pm - Oct 7,14 
I won't use a scent unless I know it is super fresh. The big box store stuff could be over a year old and have lost some of it's chemical composition. I used a few different brands and then used some fresh stuff and you could tell what was fresh. I get mine in Central Illinois at a Farm King and its delivered fresh every 2 or 3 days and is kept refrigerated from collection to purchase which is usually less than a week. When you see the fresh stuff, you can tell the difference.

Here is what we use where I hunt. While its tough to fool a big bucks nose, this seems to do the best that I've seen and does a number on 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks. Not always but it has helped before.

http://www.hunzikersdeerscent.com

Scents on public land are tough. If everyone that has hunted in the couple weeks before you has used scents, you could do more harm than good. If you can get something that is fresh than it might help fool some of those deer that have had the book thrown at them by hunters. Personally, I would try it sparingly a couple sits and see if you get any deer that come in and what their reaction is.

Good Luck!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:14am - Oct 9,14 
PRO-V EDDIE wrote:
A combo of Tinks #1 Doe-P and #69 Doe-In-Rut are now on sale at Bass Pro Shops for $9.97. Normal price would be $18 for both.

Stopped up there yesterday and picked up 2 packages. Not many of those combo packs left.

Thanks for the heads up Ed. Good deal.

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:40pm - Oct 9,14 
I know off topic but Bass Pro also had their socks that are guaranteed for life on sale for only $5. Since I already have 2 of there heavy pairs I got a mid weight one that is probably good for turkey or pheasant hunting.

Board index » Game Bag » General Hunting Info
Jump to: