Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:46pm - Aug 18,14 
Anyone down south hunt or see hogs in IL? I hunt Jo Daviess and no hogs there. I have been watching the hog dogging with a knife. Looks awesome. Heard hogs are moving up to IL just wondering how far they have made it.

Over the Limit
WellCraft Fishing Machine

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:07pm - Aug 18,14 
Have not heard of hogs yet, but the amount of Bobcats showing up on trail cams in Pike county is concerning me.

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:38am - Aug 19,14 
Yeah, we don't use trail cams but we do cover a lot of land when hunting and never see bobcats up in JD.

The hog hunters down south/Texas have it made. There are no regulations on hog hunting. You can kill as many as you can anytime of the year.

Over the Limit

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:09pm - Aug 19,14 
Over The Limit wrote:
Yeah, we don't use trail cams but we do cover a lot of land when hunting and never see bobcats up in JD.

The hog hunters down south/Texas have it made. There are no regulations on hog hunting. You can kill as many as you can anytime of the year.

I don't want incorrect information to be spread on the internet so I'm going to correct you. Not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything, just like to make sure the right information is on here.

Currently, Illinois does have small pockets of hogs. The state is doing their absolute best to exterminate them. Fulton County (where I hunt) was the county that had the biggest group of them over the last few years. I believe it was over 400 at one point. Since then the state has really cracked down on them They have been trapping them for the last few years and believe they have the population down to 20 now. They are trying to get the rest right now.

They encourage you not to shoot them (even though if I saw one, I would NOT think twice about shooting it). When you shoot one pig out of a group, they tend to take off in every direction and spread that way. The state encouraged people that if you saw one, call them immediately and they will come out and set large live traps to try and catch a many as possible in one large trap (similar to a big dog run). I don't give them state a pat on the back for much with what they did to the deer population but what they are doing to eliminate pigs is really good to see.

The regulations for pigs in this state is that they only can be shot during deer gun season, with of course, no limit.

He's where people go "Why the heck would they have a season on pigs if they want to eliminate them?!" I'll admit, this is what I thought but after talking with people and reading articles, it made sense.

Pigs do A LOT of damage to crop fields. There isn't a state that has pigs that doesnt wish they were gone. Some of the populations of pigs in this country were started by hunters and outfitters that wanted to have an extra season to either hunt or charge people to hunt. Illinois is trying to make sure that doesnt happen by having a season for pigs only during deer season so that people don't "Accidentally" release pigs in order to have something to hunt other times of the years.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:33pm - Aug 19,14 
You don't want them. :noway They will ruin the deer habitat and they breed like rabbits. The WLF encourages killing as many as possible with no limits or seasons. We have even gone as far as allowing registered silencers and shining them at night. :scared

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:15pm - Aug 19,14 
When I say south/Texas I mean southern states. I don't know anyone that hunts hogs in IL or if there are even hogs to hunt in IL that is why I asked the question. Not sure what else you could have misread.

Yeah I know hogs are destructive but if they are here they are here and I would hunt them. Just would be nice to hunt something besides deer. I am more in it for the action than the trophy. That hog dogging looks like some serious action.

I got hooked on the site easttexashogdoggers. Talk about action. Just thought if they were around or coming it could be in the future but don't sound like it.

Plus I would think pigs would be tastier than deer.....

Over the Limit

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:55am - Aug 20,14 
32 counties in southern Illinois have populations of feral hogs, Don't know the sight I found this info but do a google search on hogs in Illinois.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:50am - Aug 20,14 
Tom wrote:
Have not heard of hogs yet, but the amount of Bobcats showing up on trail cams in Pike county is concerning me.

Like this one:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:01pm - Aug 20,14 
Tom wrote:

I hunted a huge chunk of private land in southern Illinois and they have more bobcats than you could ever imagine. It was crazy the amount of tracks we saw and how many we picked up camera in just three days. Funny thing is that this place and more deer and turkeys than I have ever seen. I think bobcats do hurt the fawn population but not nearly as much coyotes. If we ever get them on camera there and the permits start being issued, I'll be the first to pick up one. They would make a great mount!

Board index » Game Bag » General Hunting Info
Jump to: