Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:08am - May 24,14 
So, finally decided on a rifle. Now the harder part. 7mm-08 rem, 30-06 springfield, or 308 win? What do you guys think?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:40am - May 24,14 
What are you hunting? I think 30-06 is better do every thing caliber due to wide range of weight(grains) and bullet styles available you can go light or heavy and it's in stock everywhere. I don't have experience with the 7mm08 as mine is a 7mm rem mag, but I have heard you can make it really good if you hand load which don't do.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:44am - May 24,14 
i agree a 30-06 is my rifle of choice, it can be used from yotes to grizzlies depending on the bullet size and load' probably the most used hunting caliber in the world. i have had several others .44 cal winchester saddle gun, .303 enfield,and even an old 7mm mauser from world war 1. the 30-6 out performed them all in any situation i encoutered. if you ever get a chance look up a list of rifle calibers and you will be able to compare the 2 more redily. the advantage with the 30-06 translates easy from a standard 250 grain bullet that gets you about 2200 mussel velocity to about 2900 mussel energy. meaning a slower bullet that has a greater energy on contact. or a bullet thats not likley to go thru what your shooting at. a distinc advantage when hunting, on the other hand the 7mm is a faster bullet that does not gain much on impact power and more likley to pass thru what your shooting at. at least that is what i understood when i decided on my 30-06. im no expert. this is just my opinion on it gathered from the research i did before my purchase. the advantage that dave was talking about was bullet grain or weight the 30-06 bullets run from 110 grain thru 250 grain so you can tune it in for what your hunting.best grain i found is the 180 grain .
DD

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:51am - May 24,14 
As of right now I am just looking for range use. I am trying to look for a load that is available and inexpensive. I also wanted to look ahead maybe sometime down the line I would like to use it to hunt and get a rifle now for that, instead of buying one now and then later on another because I bought a separate caliber for target and a separate for hunting

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:00am - May 24,14 
in that case the 30-06 is a $ 10.00 cheaper a box ammo. the 7mm is about $ 30 some a box of 20 rounds.
DD

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:04am - May 24,14 
For range use i would not recommend any of these calibers. when i go to range to fine tune any of my reloads of these calibers after 15 or 20 rounds i start to flinch from the recoil. Not range calibers! if you want yo do any amount of shooting. Rem. 223 for range use.
For hunting, DD's explanation in right on. for target go lighter.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:34am - May 24,14 
Makes sense to have two separate one for range and one to hunt but I don't have that kind of money to buy two different guns

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:11am - May 24,14 
then make a choice - i had the same dilema i just use a lighter grain bullet in 30-06 for the range. 110 grain less recoil and i have the right gun to hunt with.this is what Dave meant about being able to diall down for use. if your going to do a lot of range shooting of anything except .22's id be looking into reloading!
DD

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:13am - May 24,14 
I'm a big fan of the 308. Little less kick than the 30-06 and still can hunt just about anything in N.A.
Preferred round of many long range target shooters.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:16am - May 24,14 
sportsman1 wrote:
I'm a big fan of the 308. Little less kick than the 30-06 and still can hunt just about anything in N.A.
Preferred round of many long range target shooters.

good rifle what grain does it limit at?
DD
i wont wait for an answer because i looked at the 308 when i decided on my 30-06! its 180 grain just not enough! you might get away with deer and big pigs,goats ect, but im sure there hasnt been many bigger game animails taken with them, maybe some but not alot! this is why i chose the 06 i can dial up to a 250. grain bullet that will stop about anything short of an Elephant or Rhino.
taken from recomeded hunting calibers/quote
.30-.303 caliber (.308"-.312" diameter) bullets weighing less than 125 grains are usually varmint bullets. The following remarks apply to cartridges on the order of the .30-30, .308 Win., .303 British, .30-06 and .300 Magnum, but not to small cartridges, such as the .30 Carbine and 7.62x39mm, that were never intended for big game hunting.

Bullets in the 125-130 grain range are normally intended for use on light CXP2 game or for reduced recoil loads. Bullets in the 150-155 grain range are intended for a broad spectrum of CXP2 game, such as deer, antelope, goats and sheep. The heavier 160-180 grain bullets are typically the all-around bullets for mixed bag CXP2 and CXP3 game hunts and are the heaviest bullets suitable for short action cartridges. These are the bullets most commonly chosen for elk hunting, for example. The long 200-220 grain bullets are generally reserved for use on very large and/or dangerous game, such as Alaskan moose and brown bear in the largest cartridges, starting with the .30-06 and standard length .300 Magnums.
DD

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:34am - May 24,14 
one more thing the price of the 30-06 is manageble with $ 400 getting you a pretty good grade of rifle. because of its comonality in use its a cheaper priced rifle. anything below $600 in the 7mm or 308 isnt a very well made rifle.
DD

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:30pm - May 24,14 
I was going to go with the Ruger American rifle

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:29pm - May 24,14 
.270. Is the best all around round...IMO

Went fishing and had a drink or went drinking and caught a fish?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:15am - May 28,14 
I have a 30-06 that has a steel butt plate. If you get a 30-06 make sure you get a good rubber butt pad. Even with light loads the steel plate hurts.

Michael

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:00pm - May 28,14 
I mainly use my rifles for hunting and the only time I am on the range with them is to prepare for an upcoming hunting season.

Personally, I think the 30-06 is your best choice. As DD said, the bullets are the easiest to find and can be found in many different weights. You can hunt anything from deer up to Elk with the that gun and not have to worry about it.

I have a .270 that I have used for whitetails in Kansas, Michigan, Wyoming, Wisconsin and love the gun. I think the scope is the main reason as I put a very nice Leupold on it a while back. I feel very comfortable with that gun out to 300 yards. I will say I believe the .270 is to light for Elk so if you are looking for a gun to take out West then it might be a touch light.

I also have a 30-30 that I have used a handful of times. The problem I have is a couple of my stands in the midwest get shots out to 200 or so yards. I'm just not comfortable shooting that far with a 30-30.

I have a .223 ruger and like Mikeb said, it is a great range gun. There is no kick to it and its extremely flat shooting. Ammo for it isn't brutally expensive. I had this one out a couple weeks ago trying to call in some coyotes. Unfortunately, I had no takers to my calling. I was able to run a few rounds through it just to see how it was shooting. A great gun but I wouldn't use it on anything bigger than a coyote.

I think a ruger 10/22 is a great "plinking" gun and a must to have. I wouldn't be a huge fan of shooting much past 100 yards (you certainly can) but its much more fun at that 50 or so yard range. I used to have a lot of fun as a kid picking chipmunks off of deer feeders at a friend's deer camp in Michigan! Even though rabbit hunting seems to becoming less and less of a activity (Which I HATE to see!) a .22 was fun to pick rabbits off in the snow in January and February in the northern states.

Overall, I think all those guns are decent choices but the 30-06 would be my choice.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:54pm - May 28,14 
Here is an opinion for you, save your money for the moment and join a gun club, one that has a rifle range.

Then meet a few people who shoot there and will let you drop the hammer on there rifles once. This will give first hand experience. This way you can see what you like and don't.

Rilfes are like tools, no one does several different tasks best, there are just compromises.

You have to deiced what compromises are more, or less important to you.

Cost, comfort, distance, knock down power, rapid fire, capacity, etc.

Factory 30.06 is more costly and less comfortable than .308. .223 is less cost and more comfortable yet.

All 3 make clean holes in paper, shoot the same in accuracy or trajectory to 300 yards for a typical shooter, if educated on proper marksmanship.

Any rifle/caliber can be customized to shoot softer or more accurate. But some platforms are inherently more accurate out of the box.

The funnest and cheapest rifle I shoot is a POS AK-47.

My .50 BMG is one of the softest shooting guns I own, and may very well be the most accurate. But, it's not the cheapest to shoot.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:26pm - May 28,14 
How do ya like the hornets nest that ya stepped on Bambus? All good info. I've been considering a distance gun for a while now and there is alot of info out there for ya. Take your time and decide what you want. Peace and drive tacks brother... 8)~

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:25pm - May 28,14 
Gypsy wrote:
How do ya like the hornets nest that ya stepped on Bambus? All good info. I've been considering a distance gun for a while now and there is alot of info out there for ya. Take your time and decide what you want. Peace and drive tacks brother... 8)~

hey i love when guys like windy city check in! hes the reason im looking for a .22 magnum right now- personal experince does not outway knowledge of fact how else am i or anybody else going to learn.
DD

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:36pm - May 28,14 
Best 22 Mag handgun on the market right now is the Kel Tec PMR-30, if you can find one!

S & W makes there Airweight in a 22 Mag 2" barrel for CC or personal protection. Again very hard to come buy or ask someone to order.

For rifles I love my Magnum Research 22WRM! Not sure if they make it anymore as I have the carbon fiber barrel version. Comfortable tack driver that will take the short hairs off a fly!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:48am - May 29,14 
Windy City wrote:
Best 22 Mag handgun on the market right now is the Kel Tec PMR-30, if you can find one!!

Find one :rotflmao been looking for one for 3 months now!
DD

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Game Bag » General Hunting Info
Jump to: