Author
Search for:
Support Staff

Post Posted: 07:30am - Apr 15,14 
I don't frequent the hunting boards very often, but I was hoping some of you experts could offer me some advice. My wife and I will be building a house this spring, and we were hoping to document the construction process with a series of pictures of the site. Is there a trail camera that could say take a picture every day at a given time as opposed to being motion activated? Would it be able to take a clear pic from a decent distance away, given daylight conditions? Would there be something else that might be a better option? I'm just thinking out loud here, so if you have any ideas I'm all ears!

Thanks guys.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:23am - Apr 15,14 
Seems like this is what you want - it's designed for watching gardens grow, construction projects, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Wingscapes-WCT-00 ... 0399TNHAKA

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:56am - Apr 15,14 
Yes - they make trail cams with time lapse capabilities. Just look for ones with "Time Lapse" listed in the features. Most of them you can set to take a pic at a certain time every day.

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:03pm - Apr 15,14 
Time lapse on some cameras is a little tricky. I don't know of any that just take one picture per day since time lapse it meant to see what is in a certain area without being triggered by motion.

The best one that I know of is actually the camera I used the most of. I have 6 of this particular model. You can set the time lapse to once every 60 minutes so while it won't be once a day, you can easily delete the other 23 pictures off your computer. A whole summer worth would only take a few minutes to delete. Its a good camera too. Very impressed how it worked this winter. I left three out all winter long and unless the temps were below zero I was still getting triggers. The last camera I pulled did not have one blank picture from October to March and the only time it didn't take pictures was below 0 (I could tell from the deer tracks but I know it was the time when it was brutally cold). Feel free to ask any questions you have about any camera. The hunting guys here are pretty nice and helpful.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:16pm - Apr 15,14 
Shoot, forgot the link!

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-H ... pse+camera

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:51pm - Apr 15,14 
Thanks guys for the quick responses, I appreciate it. I'll probably get the cam B posted, that way when the project's over I can take pics of the deer eating all my bushes!

Support Staff

Post Posted: 02:29pm - Jun 7,14 
Thanks guys, I ended up getting the Bushnell. I set the camera up a week ago, and figured I'd share a couple of pics I captured. Not sure how many different deer are pictured, but I know there are at least 2!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:47pm - Jun 7,14 
Looks like you decided to build right in the middle of sacred deer burial grounds!! Uh-oh :scared

Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:55am - Jun 9,14 
Johnny Finn wrote:
Looks like you decided to build right in the middle of sacred deer burial grounds!! Uh-oh :scared

Based on the number of fresh tracks and chewed branches I see every time up there you might be right!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:07am - Jun 9,14 
Glad you liked the camera! It looks like it is working pretty well. I always say that for the money Bushnell is a great choice.

I have no shame in saying I am addicted to trail cams from about July to January. Every year I seem to add a few more to my arsenal. That have the new wireless ones that send the pics to your cell phone but after talking with people it sounds like they need a few more years to work out the kinks. When they do, I'll have a couple for sure! I'm heading out at the end of the month to hang 8 or so at the farm I hunt. I'll let them run untouched until close to labor day. When I check them its like Christmas to see all the bucks we have running around. After that I'll let them run until mid October and check them the first time out hunting. The key to trail cameras is to let them run undisturbed for as long as you can.

My local camera I do check every other week. Its in a urban setting and the scent really doesn't seem to throw off the deer. I have times when I check the camera and 20 minutes later I'll have pictures of deer.

Looks like you might need to take up bow hunting when the house is done!

Support Staff

Post Posted: 02:14pm - Jun 9,14 
BigB wrote:
I have no shame in saying I am addicted to trail cams from about July to January.

I can see how this could get addicting. We've only had the camera up for a week and have captured pics of deer, raccoons, cats, dogs, nosy neighbors...

BigB wrote:
Looks like you might need to take up bow hunting when the house is done!

Just for curisoty's sake, what is the minimum distance a bow and arrow could be fired from a residence? I back up to a 40 acre horse farm, so I may just have to make friends with the neighbors :winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:36pm - Jun 9,14 
You have to be a minimum of 100 yards from a house you don't have permission from. As long as you have permission from them you can hunt as close as you want. I hunt about 60 yards from a friends back porch at one of my local spots. They love it, every time I see them they tell me to shoot every deer they see!

Support Staff

Post Posted: 09:12am - Aug 3,14 
Check this guy out giving my footings a pre-inspection!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:40pm - Aug 3,14 
I'd be getting a tree stand up there! Work on the house until 5 and then hunt until dark!

Board index » Game Bag » General Hunting Info
Jump to: