Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:34pm - Apr 8,14 
I know firearm hunting in Il has been shotgun for deer. Is there any rifle hunting, not for deer but I don't know feral pig for example, I don't even know if there are any in this state. Just a random question that came to mind. Trying to navigate the IDNR website is not easy for a guy like me who is technologically challenged.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:59pm - Apr 8,14 
Rimfire or black powder only.

No center fire rifles.

This is the People's Republic of Illinois.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:39pm - Apr 8,14 
Windy is correct, no centerfire rifles for deer hunting. You can hunt coyotes with them though outside of deer season.

Personally, I like the shotgun only rule. You don't have people shooting 400 yards when they have the ability to shoot 100. I've hunted a lot of states with a rifle and I like the shotgun only rule.

No real wild pig herd in Illinois (Thank gosh!). The IDNR and their horrible leaders have now said you can shoot pigs if you see them during deer firearm season. Such a laughable rule, pigs are absolutely horrible animals in the wild and should have the same season as coyotes. I can tell you that if famers see them, they won't stop shooting until they are out of bullets.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:00pm - Apr 8,14 
Yea I can see the farmers doing that. Its been an interest as of late thanks to the outdoor channel tv shows on hunting hogs.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:24am - Apr 9,14 
There have been many sightings and some shootings in southern Illinois of wild hogs. They are moving north. Given that we live in the peoples republic of Illinois, as mentioned above, there will probably be a special "hog license, hog tax and hog disposal fee" when they get here. I hope we get some in Chicago, especially around the mayor's area .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:34am - Apr 9,14 
There is a reason the DNR wants you to report the sighting of feral hogs instead of shooting at them yourself.

Hogs are very intelligent and can become educated to hunting / trapping pressure very easily. The state goes out and sets traps for hogs after a report comes in. They are easiest to trap, and it is most effective when they are all together in a group and can all be caught together in the same trap. If a trapping attempt fails, or you cannot catch the entire group, the rest become educated and are less likely to return to the trap in the future. (think about educating coyotes to a particular call) If the group gets split up, they can each spread and begin breeding and taking over a new area, just like a virus. Easier to deal with when it is still contained.

They discourage people from taking a pot shot into a group of hogs, because it is actually counter productive in eradicating the population. Now they split up, spread out, repopulate, and are more wary of hunting pressure than they were before. Hogs are such prolific breeders that you need to remove 70% of the population every year, just to keep their numbers stagnant! Trapping them is far and away the most effective method in stopping their spread.

Also, they dont want to create a market for hog hunting in Illinois. Outfitters down south were bringing in hogs on their ranches as a supplemental game specie for hunters. You can imagine what sort of consequences can arrive from bringing an invasive specie like feral hogs in, when they inevitably get off the property. (The same way Asian Carp were originally brought in my catfish farmers in Arkansas before they escaped into the Mississippi.) That is why the state is also passing legislation making it illegal to transport live, or introduce feral hogs in to IL.

The State is on the same side as us hunters against these hogs. They just have their own way of doing it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:57pm - Apr 10,14 
Bobba that is a very good point you made. I honestly never would have thought about it that way.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:10pm - Apr 11,14 
I dont trust the DNR enough to let a pig walk and call them and hope something happens. After EHD and having buddies that would call in 10 to 20 deer dead like they were supposed to and never having anyone show up so I have little faith. If I let a pig walk where I hunt, I would be more concerned that my hunting buddies and neighbors would stone me!

Board index » Game Bag » General Hunting Info
Jump to: