Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:05am - Sep 19,14 
I will agree with the Super Black Eagle. I have several shotguns but my go to gun for anything feathered is the Benelli. It is the best shotgun I've ever fired.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:03pm - Sep 19,14 
I have a mossberg 835 with a 24 inch smooth bore barrel ; it'll take 3 1/2 inch shells ; swapped the wood furniture for ati plastic with a limb saver pad . gun is as good as anything out there ; turkey goose duck deer what ever ; and when not hunting i change magazine tube and have 10 in the magazine one in the chamber and a ghost load .
bought gun used like new 180 $ another 125 $ in upgrades ; was hitting a old refrigerator at my cousins farm with slugs about 200 yards .
the turkeys don't know or care how much you spend or cool shotgun is .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:59am - Sep 20,14 
For your information. I did not put anyone's shotgun choice down nor the price they paid for it. Additionally it took me nearly two years of saving extra $ to purchase that gun. I still have and use my old 11-87 12 gauge. That was the first gun I ever bought and I had to put it on layaway at K-Mart for a month way back in the early 90's. No, the turkeys, deer, ducks etc... don't know or care what kind of gun you have. That gun in 2010 was the first new gun I had bought since the 11-87. I didn't buy it to be "cool" or because of a price tag. It was a matter of choice and preference. I worked hard to have that gun and I like it. You are entitled to your thoughts/ opinion on things, but the remark about "cool" and price is an insult to people that worked hard for what they have.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:00am - Sep 21,14 
Wound up buying a Remington 870 magnum w/ synthetic stock. It kicks like a mule and you have to give it a strong pump to get the spent shell to eject. I didn't get a turkey last spring and I've upgraded the factory sights to the true glo gobble dot. I need more range time which is sort of difficult living in Chicago.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:34pm - Sep 21,14 
Lucky, not sure what your shooting but you mention "kicks like a mule" don't feel like you need to shoot mag loads for deer hunting. 2 3/4" slug will put em down just fine. Steel shot and waterfowl hunting is a different story I always stick to min 3" or
3 1/2" mags.

I'm a Benelli fan do to the balance, Remington, Mosburg, Winchester ect. are more utilitarian that being said you can't go wrong with 870, they've been making em for a long time.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:37am - Sep 22,14 
get a limb-saver butt pad makes a world of difference on recoil .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:33pm - Sep 22,14 
Lucky, the action on the 870 will improve with time. Shoot it as much as you can. Go out and shoot a few rounds of trap, or hit a sporting clays course.

Just use light target loads for such.

I would say a few hundred rounds should have her in a sweet spot as far as the action goes. It should help your target acquisition too!

An old hunting mentor of mine used to say, "You never feel recoil when your shooting at game."

But, if you want to lighten the punch, send the barrel to Magna Port. They can do a port/brake job on it and it will lessen the recoil of the heavy hunting loads considerably.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:22pm - Oct 11,14 
I have a 12ga. Benelli Nova pump and couldnt be happier with it. I am looking into a semi auto but as far as what I have been using I say you can't go wrong for the price and it is a very well built firearm

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Game Bag » General Hunting Info
Jump to: