Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:40pm - Sep 22,16 
Anyone been out lately? Heading out tomorrow to fish the afternoon / evening bite. Looking to cross some eyes, crappie, musky, anything!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:01pm - Sep 22,16 
Walleye are on the road bed and any rocky bottom. You probably already know that. If you don't have a map of the lake you should get one from the bait shop, well worth it. Might as well get a crappie limit while your there, most of the cribs are producing.Good luck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:29pm - Sep 22,16 
Thanks man. Map and gps in hand.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:29am - Sep 23,16 
:drink live bait for crappie is out producing swimming plastics.... Numbers are strong but the size is off for fall so far.... Aaron Sands was on a great vertical jigging spoon bite for walleye... Drop offs and timber... Muskie were active in the no motor zone.... You will be crowded trying that area....bass were slow and not breaking the surface.... Easier when they give their location away by busting shad pods...stripers never really showed in strong numbers this year ... Too hot maybe... Sorry for the late response... Getting ready for a up- north trip next week

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:48am - Sep 23,16 
Thanks Jim!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:23am - Sep 25,16 
Hey guys Ive never been to Shabbona but I'm thinking of heading out there with the girlfriend tomorrow. Is it a good time to fish for crappie now? I did some research and found out they usually head into the deep with colder waters. I'll be fishing from shore unless I rent a row boat out there. Any other fish I can target from shore? Thanks in advance.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:48am - Sep 26,16 
we only caught fish on the rock piles, which, at least the ones we were fishing are not accessible from shore. There are lots of catfishermen that fish from shore and do very well. My buddy witnessed one guy on Friday bring in a 6-8 pounder (and promptly released it) and a couple smaller ones. I personally think shore fishing is tough there unless you bounce around and do lots of walking.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:22am - Oct 27,16 
I'm taking my son (4 yr old) camping at Shabbona friday night. Gonna bring the boat and do some fishing. We don't have musky gear and would prefer to catch walleye, crappie, blue gill etc. Any advice?

John 21:10

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:31pm - Oct 27,16 
get a map and have fun! Probably need to load up on the live bait this time of year. I found the crappie minnows in the bait shop to be of questionable quality. most died in my minnow bucket within an hour. That was OK though because I used the head only on a jigging rap and did OK with that set up.

Find the road bed, rock pikes or cribs. Get a map. Use GPS if you have it.

My only question is, how you are going to watch the Cubs Friday night at the camp ground???

Good luck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:02pm - Oct 27,16 
Gonna bring a radio to listen to the cubbies! Thanks for the tips, I will use my depth finder to find the road bed and dangle some jigs in their face. If no walleye's are biting, I will go to the cribs for crappie I guess and use small jigs tipped with minnows.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:30am - Oct 28,16 
:drink try staying close to bottom at spots you try ...the last three weeks the crappie were within two feet of the bottom... If you get too many perch move to a new area... I'll be out again over the weekend so keep an eye out and introduce your self if you want some help....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:13pm - Oct 29,16 
I was in the 16 foot blue white Sylvan with 3 adults and 3 kids in it. We only had one option...anchor and hope the 4 yr olds don't hook each other. We accidentally snagged one blue Gill. I would like to go back and really fish it. Side note Shabbona has a really nice campground!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:01pm - Oct 31,16 
:drink I anchor most days so the group can fish... So that's not so bad... Picking the right spot becomes more important... Not sure if you had a decent depth finder ... But you really need to be close to cover this time of year... You can find schools of fish roaming around following shad but catching them while moving is a chore... Much easier to find cover and catch the aggressive ones relating around cover...

Last edited by Crappie Professor on 04:57am - Nov 1,16, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:59pm - Oct 31,16 
Is there a 9.9hp motor limit out there?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:00am - Nov 1,16 
:drink yes there is a 10 hp limit on both Shab and Evergreen... Evergreen also has a daily fee of (nonresident ) 18.00 dollars ... Or 48 for the year...Shab is free to launch

Board index » Lakes » I-80 North
Jump to: