Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:12pm - Jul 26,14 
Hi All,

I recently moved to Illinois from Connecticut and while I knew all the great places to fish in CT, I'm clueless around here. My son and daughter are both starting to get into fishing and I'd like to get them onto some nice gills or crappie or anything that swims. ;) We walked around Paulus Park and noticed that there's a fishing dock. The weeds are thick though and look to be a challenge in terms of fishing and getting fouled up. I'd appreciated any help on where to go not only in Lake Zurich, but also any surrounding ponds and lakes.

Unfortunately, I'm shorebound. We're in the process of selling my boat, so that will limit what I can do with the kids.

Thanks y'all!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:47pm - Jul 27,14 
Hey LongHorn, I grew up in Lake Zurich and am extremely familiar with the lake and the surrounding fishing holes. Lake Zurich used to be an amazing fishery but in recent years has somewhat gone to shinola. The city poisoned the lake to kill the weeds and ended up killing off a lot of fish in the process. The lake is now infested with green slime and the weeds seem to be even worse.
I would recommend fishing the promenade right next to Bills boats on the opposite side of the lake if you are to fish the lake from shore. It has a lot less weeds and if you fish a minnow or a golden roach off the bottom you can catch some decent walleye come nightfall.

If you want to guarantee your kids to catch fish, i would recommend the ponds by the police station (off of Lagoon) in hawthorn woods. You can catch some really nice bass as well as a ridiculous amount of bluegill on a classic bobber/crawler combo. Of the three ponds the one on the left is the best for a mix of bass and bluegills. If you just want to catch bluegills you can catch one every cast in the first pond on the right of the street.

Good luck and good fishing!
-Adam

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:48pm - Jul 27,14 
btw...shinola=shinola...autocorrect :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:43pm - Jul 27,14 
Thanks a bunch for the info. Awesome info and I really appreciate the help. I'll have to try over on the other side of the lake. However, the ponds at Hawthorn Woods sounds great for the kids, especially about the part about the bass. :)

I'll definitely post a report after I bring the kids.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:21am - Jul 28,14 
What Adam said.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:35am - Jul 28,14 
You're very welcome, i look forward to the post!

Board index » Lakes » I-80 North
Jump to: