Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:07pm - Jun 28,10 
Just wondering if anyone has any info on this? When its supposed to open, etc...? According to the Crystal Lake website, the area is supposed to be open to the public once its completed in 2010. I've heard from a few people that Illinois records are gonna be broken once this place opens up!

http://www.crystallake.org/index.aspx?page=326

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:03pm - Jul 6,10 
Scheduled to open in September 2010, the beach at Three Oaks Recreation Area will not be open until the Summer of 2011;

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:50pm - Jul 6,10 
Just a couple of heads up, I live in Crystal Lake about a block away from Vulcan, and these are the things that I have heard. No outside boats, they will rent rowboats with electric trolling motors, I hope if they do this, they are big trolling motors, as when the wind kicks up, this places gets some nasty white caps. They want to keep outside water from getting in, stopping the spread of any hitchhickers, might go to bait also.
Also there has been some rumor if Vucan will be CL residents only the other part was a large user fee for non-resident, Like I said this is rumor at this point.
I got this info talking to a couple of guys manning the kiosk at the chamber expo

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:58pm - Jul 8,10 
I wonder if this is the area I came across in the 90s that I couldn't find again. I saw the quarry, stopped for a while and knocked the bass dead on Rapalas. When I tried to find it again later, I realized I had forgotten where it was at. It was classic quarry, clear water and dumb, greedy bass.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:31am - Oct 19,10 
Fished Vulcan lake on Friday October 8th with the wife and daughter. Electric boats were all rented by the time the family got there at 11am. Fished from Shore - 1 lb largemouth bass in about 5 minutes on a nightcrawler. The family next to us had 2 sons using the small kid poles - about 4' or so. A northern hit the worm and the father was able to get the fish to shore but it broke the line - looked to be about 20" or so maybe longer. Put up a good battle.

Most fish were deep, one angler caught and released 8 fish - 6 largemouth, 1 Walleye and a Northern.

Parking is $5 - free if you are a resident of CL. Can rent 12" and 14" boats with electric motors - think my dad said they had 67 lbs of thrust - does that sound right.

We eventually rented a canoe for a little over an hour - what great fun, great looking lake, cold clean water. Wind was pretty strong that day.

Gen. George S. Patton

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:35am - Oct 19,10 
is this going to be open for ice fishing?
duck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:17am - Oct 19,10 
Ice Fishing is not allowed according to a google search that brought up the NW herald article.

Appears there are good populations of fish. Catch and release for 2010 and 2011.

How is the fishing on the lake?

The fishing is anticipated to be excellent. A recent Illinois Department of Natural Resources fish study found populations of the following fish species in the Three Oaks Recreation Area lakes:

Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Yellow Bass, Rock Bass, Channel Catfish
Northern Pike, Walleye, and Pan Fish, including Bluegill and Yellow Perch

Gen. George S. Patton

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:56pm - Oct 19,10 
been twice. both times bass and pike were caught. expensive. for CL resident 4 hrs of fishing in a 14' boat was 56 bucks. for non resident 4 hours of fishing in a 14' boat was 72 bucks. that was w/o a fish finder being rented. they stick you on all sides, but good populations of fish were seen on (my own) graph, and also 5 fish caught both times in 4 hours. all in the last hour of fishing around 5pm. Swim baits, trolling raps, or jigs and gulp over structure. Tons of people though, unless the prices drive people away, it will be fished out as soon as they let you take fish home. Had to wait 1 1/2 hours the 2nd time around with my dad on my birthday for a boat. No live bait, barbless hooks appreciated, no outside motors, boats etc, and CR only. Ice fishing maybe next year in the small lake where the beach is.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:26pm - Oct 20,10 
I8fish2 - They were letting people to keep the fish? I thought it was supposed to be catch and release for at least the first year. That would be disappointing news.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:07pm - Oct 20,10 
no it was catch and release only, my point was when they do let people keep them in a few years, I hope it is not fished out quickly, it is a small lake, with a TON of people fishing it, at least the last few weeks. sorry about any confusion.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:16pm - Oct 21,10 

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:05pm - Oct 23,10 

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:39am - Oct 24,10 
good job Simon!!! nice pics! Looks like you were having fun out there1

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:48am - Oct 25,10 
Just got back from there. Landed 8 fish with a wacky rigged Senko on a 1/8oz jighead and a 3/4oz Football Jig with a Sweet Beaver trailer:

Board index » Lakes » I-80 North
Jump to: