Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:25pm - Mar 17,13 
Ok, seeing that my hummingbird sonar took a dump on me at the end of last season on the big pond, and would not mark fish or structure and was just good for nothing but a depth reading, I decided to upgrade a little for this season. I have pretty much decided to go with a Lowrance Elite 5 DSI sonar w/GPS. Looking at $399. Now don't start telling me about more expensive models because that is the most I can spend on one. Mt Question is: Is there anyone out there using this one and if so what do you think about it? Thanks, Mike

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:50pm - Mar 18,13 
The DSI is an amazing view. Weeds look like weeds trees look like trees not blobs. Does that unit have a traditional sonar as well as DSI? Great price BTW. If you have not upgraded in some years you'll be amazed by the new units.Anyone looking for a more basic unit BPS had the Lowrance Mark 5 at a one day price 3/10 of $110 the few they have left they were closing out at $99. We use those in Canada for a basic sonar that shows bottom and fish it's a great unit. A DSI only view has many advantages and a few disadvantages. I don't have that unit.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 03:25pm - Mar 18,13 
Are you sure your current unit is shot? Make sure your transducer is level before you give up on it. Also, if your unit still reads, maybe all you need is a new transducer. Does your current unit have gps? If so, get a new unit author gps and run your old unit as dedicated to mapping. Just a couple thoughts that could save you a little cash.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:04am - Mar 19,13 
Thanks guys. the unit does have dual select coverage. would this mean on the lower setting that it is the traditional sonar and the higher setting is the DSI ??? As far as my old one , it is a hummingbird wideview that came with the boat. It never really worked right. I dont know how old it is and rather than take a chance on spending money on a transducer and finding out it still does not work, I would rather upgrade to a better unit. For about $70 more I can get the Gold model that comes with the Navionics map/chip card whatever that has the preloaded gps stuff. Wonder if it is worth getting that? Do I really need that? I will just be using it on the big pond to find depth, temp, mark fish.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:56pm - Mar 30,13 
if gold model will do contour lines it is will worth it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:31pm - Mar 30,13 
For Lake Michigan, and showing fish, the DSI models may not be the best choice. Down scan imaging does not show fish very well. Fish are not very dense and do not give solid returns on DSI like they do on traditional sonar. DSI provides good detail on bottom structure, but Lake Michigan has little structure on the bottom and most of what you will be fishing for will be suspended. The Lowrance Elite 5 with GPS and color sonar is the same price and would be more useful on the big lake.

Board index » The Podium » Digital World
Jump to: