Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:19pm - Jun 28,12 
Looking for a compact (pocket size) digital camera that's waterproof and shockproof.
Must take very good pictures and video.
I've always been a Sony guy but will definitely consider other options if they come highly recommended.
If possible, looking to spend less than $200.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:10pm - Jun 28,12 
Send a pm to Runnin' Bare- he does superb underwater photography and would probably know-

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:38pm - Jun 28,12 
Off the top of my head Olympus Stylus tough - why freeze prof as well.

Stay away from Sony.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:01am - Jun 29,12 
If you cannot find a water/shock/freeze proof camera, the Panasonic Lumis ZS8 point and shoot takes fantastic photos and HD video. I recently replaced my old model, which I was always happy with, but the new model has phenomenal quality compared to the old one. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS8-Digital-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B004KKZ0HE Also on sale at Best Buy for $199. With your outdoor use, you might also consider paying for extended insurance when offered regardless of what you buy.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:33am - Jun 29,12 
Tiger Direct has a Nikon for just over $100. As Twade says I would stay away from Sony. I used to by Sony exclusive but with All the problems I ended up having with their products I think their quality is down the tubes. I am done with them. Hit the Tigerdirect.com site and check out what they have. I just got the Nikon S6200 Coolpix with 16 megapixels and a 10 power zoom And I Love It. $140. Best quality pics I have ever taken. Mike

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:36am - Jun 29,12 
FYI Tiger Direct and CompUsa have merged. they have a store in Naperville.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:56am - Jun 29,12 
Highly recommend the Olympus Stylus Tough. Bought one about 3 years ago and have done it all to it with no problems to report. Took underwater stills and video while snorkeling in Cozumel, dropped it out of a tree stand, and stepped on it at the boat launch. It is pretty much the best camera I've owned. Can be had for about 150 retail. The only complaint one might have is it uses an XD memory card, and most devices are SD. But I plug mine direct into the PC with the USB cable and the card is never an issue.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:17am - Jun 29,12 
If you decide to go with the Olympus Stylus Tough get it here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6830111522
It's 119.99 and you get a 1-year accidental warranty $14.99 INCLUDED

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:37am - Jun 29,12 
The issue I found with Tiger Direct and Newegg both is a lot of stuff is refurbished and done so poorly.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:48am - Jun 29,12 
twade wrote:
The issue I found with Tiger Direct and Newegg both is a lot of stuff is refurbished and done so poorly.

Twade I agree with the Tiger Direct statement they do have a lot of refurbished stuff, I have been buying stuff from Newegg for years and have never had a problem with anything I purchased from them, If a product is a refurbished model they have to state it in the ad so you will know in advance what you are buying.
I will say that a lot of the stuff is not the newest model that is out there but sometimes the newest is not the best. Read the user reviews on the product you are thinking about and go from there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:24am - Jun 29,12 
Thanks fellas. I was considering that Olympus Tough after seeing it in an Outdoor Buyers Guide. Glad to hear such good remarks from yous about them.
That's a killer price as long as it's new and not refurbed.

Anyone else have more input/recommendations/suggestions/comments?

twade wrote:
why freeze prof as well.

Whatchu talkin bout Willis?
I keep trying to substitute words for "why" in that statement but it's not making sense...
:bigyuck

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:54am - Jun 29,12 
Essox that is New not Refurbished it is probably last years model though.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:59am - Jun 29,12 
last years models are fine. i have had a few issues with newegg and them falsifying what they sell. might just be my experience with them.

to stay on topic for john. i think you'll like the tough. hard to top.

also meant to read "why? freeze proof as well." i think i'll just stop responding to you. :cuss

Profile WWW  

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 12:35pm - Jun 29,12 
I went to frys to buy my last point and shoot. they were considerably lower than Tiger and the others but that was 2 years ago. We got a waterproof sony cypershot. It was not quite as rugged as the others but it looked just like a normal camera. we tested every waterproof point and shoot they had in both the middle of the store in bright light and in the back by the TV's where it is dark. we brought our own SD card to pop in and take some from each camera than too the SD card over to a high end laptop to view the pictures. All the cameras took great bright light photos but in low light the sony was far superior to the others. that was 3 years ago. I would suggest doing the same with the current models.

another thing to consider is the bigger and heavier the camera the better off you will be. Many pictures with point and shoots are low quality because when taking the picture it is so easy to be shaky and the extra size and weight will help quite a bit with that.

HTR

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:45pm - Jun 29,12 
twade wrote:
also meant to read "why? freeze proof as well." i think i'll just stop responding to you. :cuss

GOOD! :bigyuck

HighTechRedneck wrote:
I went to frys to buy my last point and shoot. they were considerably lower than Tiger and the others but that was 2 years ago. We got a waterproof sony cypershot. It was not quite as rugged as the others but it looked just like a normal camera. we tested every waterproof point and shoot they had in both the middle of the store in bright light and in the back by the TV's where it is dark. we brought our own SD card to pop in and take some from each camera than too the SD card over to a high end laptop to view the pictures. All the cameras took great bright light photos but in low light the sony was far superior to the others. that was 3 years ago. I would suggest doing the same with the current models.

another thing to consider is the bigger and heavier the camera the better off you will be. Many pictures with point and shoots are low quality because when taking the picture it is so easy to be shaky and the extra size and weight will help quite a bit with that.

HTR

Thanks Brian. That's a really good point about weight, never thought that would counter balance the "shakiness" but it makes total sense! My current Cybershot has the steady feature and very rarely have blurry shots in sufficient lighting, yet takes GREAT pictures at night when held steady.

How does the Tough fare to "unsteady" conditions?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:07pm - Jun 29,12 
YES, Tiger Direct does OFFER- some refurbished items. And YES they do tell you if it is. That is only a part of what they sell. They sell majority new stuff. My Nikon is Factory New with warranty and Not refurbished. If you want to pay more, go somewhere else. If you decide on a camera anywhere, just do yourself a favor and get Their price. I hate to see people get ripped. jmo

Board index » The Podium » Digital World
Jump to: