Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:12am - Jan 11,12 
Guys and gals. As most of you know I'm an IT geek (not to be mistaken with a BB geeksquad :noway ) and one of the biggest problems I have with customers is that blank stare when I ask if their data has been backed up. You just don't realize how much stuff you acquire on a system until it's no longer accessible.
I just received this in my inbox this morning. Compusa is having a big HDD drive sale. 99 bucks for a (get this) 1tb internal or external HDD and free shipping! NO I'm not representing Compusa or anyone else for that matter. Just sharing. They have the 2/3tb's available pretty cheap as well for you heavy hitters. The solid state drives (ssd) are still pricey but even they are getting cheaper.
http://www.compusa.com/email/compusa/CUEM1017.asp?SRCCODE=CUEM1017CO&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-CUEM1017-_-compusaemail1017

Hope this helps someone keep their precious family/fish/hunting pics and important stuff from being lost.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:01am - Jan 11,12 
What do you think of the Acronis 8086646 True Image Home 2012 Software that they offer?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:36am - Jan 11,12 
thanks Dennis! just ordered the 1t external last time i looked these were $200.00 +shipping, great find ! hope this will be quicker than backing up to disc? one question though if i have my back up set for once a month does the previous back up get saved or is it replaced with the new back up? and can this be used to back up multiple computers?we have 4 laptops and a pc in the family room? and can this unit be put on the pc and have all the laptops down load their individual backups to it? would like to know?
dd

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:10am - Jan 11,12 
Thanks for the heads up. I wanted to pick up a second back up just in case the first one failed.

You gotta back that thing up.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Location: Batavia & Coal City, IL; 17' '85 Ranger 335-V Bass Boat w/ 115hp Evinrude. Let's go fishin'

Post Posted: 12:52pm - Jan 11,12 
So is the global hard drive shortage over?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:25pm - Jan 11,12 
Popeye, I have never used the Acronis backup software. I did do a quick look at the Customer reviews (always the best check) and they are mixed. Here's a link to a free 30 day trial of the software if you wanna look. http://download.cnet.com/Acronis-True-Image-Home/3000-2242_4-10168093.html
There is normally a backup software that comes with the Seagates (or at least a place to download it) but these drives are not included in those. I use a freebie called Easus to do partition/disk cloning and such and I've used one recently called Syncback which is very basic (just one system user). Backup software is so crazy. And it all depends on what you wanna do.

Denny, Yes you can backup all the systems in your house to one of these but it can be kinda advanced to setup. Probably get some software or move the external drive to whichever system you wish. I don't know about the replace/save options for the backups which backup software do you use?

Jeff, I think what is happening is they are getting rid of these "older" models. That doesn't mean they are old just if you notice they are mostly usb 2.0 instead of 3.0. They are perfect for backups. And I think a lot of that news about shortages is only because the folks mining the rare earth minerals are cutting back kinda like OPEC! :winker

I could sit here and type till my fingers fall off about all the different backup software but basically. You need to decide your needs (most are very very basic) and abilities. These things are easy to use and are much more user friendly these days; however, you can get quite advanced real quick if you start deciding to mirror partitions, clone drives and that sort of stuff.

If anyone has any ones they like please speakup.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:40pm - Jan 11,12 
The hard drive shortage is still going on. Pretty sad when a large online electronics store like New Egg is running specials on refurbished hard drives. The issue with hard drives is many manufacturers started making most of their drives in Thailand. Well Thailand has been besieged by floods and most of the factories have been inundated by flood waters. Saw a news blip a week or so ago saying the floods are still happening. So the shortage is actually weather related. So much for offshoring huh?

Remember one thing - hard drives are mechanical, even backup external ones and they can fail.

I use and have used Acronis software. I will post more later on it. The skinny is, it works and does what it is supposed to.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 09:25pm - Jan 11,12 
wsj is far from being a IT kind of person......that said can you just copy your stuff to an external drive? :doh

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:05pm - Jan 11,12 
wsj_outdoorsman wrote:
wsj is far from being a IT kind of person......that said can you just copy your stuff to an external drive? :doh

Yes WSJ. I keep it simple, create / burn a system restore disk and file it away some place safe keeping. That takes care of the drivers for the hardware. Then I keep all my documents pics and important stuff in one sub directory (folder) on my desktop. Then once a week or so right click on it, copy the folder and paste it on my external hard drive replacIng the previous one. Creating a stand alone back up of my most important Stuff. Trick is to be consistent about doing it.

Had a scare with my daughters notebook the other night. Started acting cooky like it was crashing and she hadn't backed up her data in months. Took her over two hours to do it because the screen kept going blank after just a minute or so and shed have to re-boot to get it to turn back on. Dennis graciously helped us out of that jam and whatever he did seems to be holding. Thank you Dennis.

The moral of this story gentleman is don't Waite until you have a problem before you decide to back things up.

T-Bo

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:10pm - Jan 11,12 
T-bo wrote:
wsj_outdoorsman wrote:

Yes WSJ. I keep it simple, I keep all my documents pics and important stuff in one sub directory (folder) on my desktop. Then once a week or so right click on it, copy the folder and paste it on my external hard drive replacIng the previous one. Creating a stand alone back up of my most important Stuff. Trick is to be consistent about doing it.

Had a scare with my daughters notebook the other night. Started acting cooky like it was crashing and she hadn't backed up her data in months. Took her over two hours to do it because the screen kept going blank after just a minute or so and shed have to re-boot to get it to turn back on. Dennis graciously helped us out of that jam and whatever he did seems to be holding. Thank you Dennis.

The moral of this story gentleman is don't Waite until you have a problem before you decide to back things up.

T-Bo

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:10am - Jan 12,12 
wsj_outdoorsman wrote:

That is Absolutely correct sir!!! :allah
The only problem is that we forget... Or we don't get ALL the stuff we wanted. Plus we have to manage all that. Like T-bo said "KISS" is the way to go; However, KISS is in the eye of the beholder. For me it's easier to setup a backup schedule and forget it. With that being said I do check my backups occasionally and am always copying certain files by hand to ensure they are safe.

STeelheads wrote:
Remember one thing - hard drives are mechanical, even backup external ones and they can fail.

You are 100% correct sir. So occasionally I'll go thru and make a second copy of important stuff to a USB drive, DVD or other external device. But a backup of a backup can be overkill unless you are deleting files from your primary and only keeping them on the secondary. Personally I've only found a couple of individuals that had the bad luck of losing both. Now companies on the other hand should and in most cases do keep multiple copies of backups. What it comes down to is this. If you have the cashola to buy a NAS storage with 64tb of redundant drives then by all means go for it. If you are like the rest of us (or maybe it's just me) you do your due diligence and hope for the best.

:respect

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:24am - Jan 12,12 
yeah i use a back up schedule to , but the desk top folder is a great idea. how do you get your data to it? or do you have to drag and drop it?
dd

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:49pm - Jan 12,12 
Thanks dylanapollo!

I needed a backup for my backup!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:00pm - Jan 12,12 
denny duck wrote:
yeah i use a back up schedule to , but the desk top folder is a great idea. how do you get your data to it? or do you have to drag and drop it?
dd

I think what he means is that he places a folder on the desktop and keeps his important stuff in there. Then he manually copies that to his backup. I think maybe...

If you look at the top of the start menu you can see your name (or a username) there. That usually has all the personal data that you create ie. My documents, my pictures, Desktop blah blah blah. You can right click that bad boy and choose copy or show on desktop and then copy that to your drive. *** Note *** if there are more than one user account on the system you will need to do the same with the other account. Oh boy did I open a can of worms or what. Just wanted to share the sale. But I absolutely don't have a problem with helping out my fellow fisherman if I can. So please guys don't hesitate to ask.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:53am - Jan 13,12 
So Seagate's are good? USB 2.0 / 3.0? Is there just speed difference? Need a special cable for 3.0?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:45am - Jan 13,12 
T-bo wrote:
dylanapollo wrote:
denny duck wrote:
dd

I think what he means is that he places a folder on the desktop and keeps his important stuff in there. Then he manually copies that to his backup. I think maybe...

Yes Dennis that's exactly what I mean. Open the "my computer" folder and drag and drop the desk top folder with all your important docks right to thr drive letter that represents your back up drive. it It's manual but "KISS"! By the way i resemble that acronym! :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:48am - Jan 13,12 
Seagate has been around for years. They've had their bad devices but mostly a good dependable drive. If you check your system (HP especially) chances are it has a seagate drive installed (they usually start with ST#####).
I have a confession to make versus the 2.0/3.0 usb thing. Even though I know (in theory) about them I've not used them yet. They are fairly new. I think the iphone 4s will use 3.0 and I'm sure a few other newer devices; however, it's mostly external Hdd's out there for now. You can use a 2.0 device in a 3.0 slot and vice versa;however, and again I could be wrong but you do have to have a different cable to utilize the speed difference. Which is (according to the hype) up to ten times faster than 2.0 and quite a bit faster than firewire as well. It's just like everything else with Tech what's new today will be old in 3-6 months.

Side story: I watched a show the other day called "How William Shatner changed the world" worth a watch. It was basically talking (amusingly) about how Star Trek inspired everything from the cell phone (had the inventor talking about it), Personal Computers, ipods (had quicktime inventor trying to create a holodeck), and even medical devices. I started looking at the phones, pc's, 100gb hdds, and ipods and thought to myself "Man when was this show made" everything seemed so old. Checked and it was released in 2005 :shock In just 7 short years we have moved to the Smartphones, tablets, multi TB drives (1000gb=1tb), and sooo much more. As a great Chicagoan once said "Holy Cow!!!"
Oh and did I mention that in the next year you will find commonplace in the market the following: Tv's you dont' need a remote for. They will work on facial recognition, hand gestures, and voice command.
You'll have cameras that will not take a bad fish picture focus wise. It takes the pic and then you can decide which part you want to be the main focus. Oh and dr's have developed better lasers for tumor removal that won't damage the area around it WOW!!!
Oh and right now you can get the kinect for pc which will allow you to control your computer screen.
But the most interesting thing is "WE Won't have a bad fish picture again" :allah

And what do most of us do in this amazing world to communicate with our fellow man??? Text messaging!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:30am - Jan 13,12 
Dennis you are definitely the man! I want to thank you again for your help. I owe you buddy!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:37am - Jan 13,12 
dylanapollo wrote:

Oh and did I mention that in the next year you will find commonplace in the market the following: Tv's you dont' need a remote for. They will work on facial recognition, hand gestures, and voice command.

My wife doesn't recognize me, hand gestures or voice command now..... you think a freakin' inanimate object will????

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 06:38am - Jan 14,12 
Bubbalouie wrote:
dylanapollo wrote:

My wife doesn't recognize me, hand gestures or voice command now..... you think a freakin' inanimate object will????

Yes it will due to it being "man" made.
Also don't forget bubba, mans best friend got that name due to it recognizing those voice and body movements. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » The Podium » Digital World
Jump to: